Quick Electrial Question

Page 7 of 8
On 9/3/2011 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:

It's usually that way for a good reason ... GD's are usually plugged into a switched receptacle, located _under_ the counter top, so that you can turn them on and off on at a switch somewhere _above_ the counter top ... much more convenient and safe.
You don't want to have to open the cabinet door reach and reach under the sink to turn the GD off and on.
Putting in a plug receptacle will take you about the same amount of time as it would to hardwire the GD.
Do it, it makes more sense in the long run.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Considering it's locaton, should a garbage disposal use a GFI plug?
On 9/3/2011 5:13 PM, Dave wrote:

Not according to code in most locales _in a kitchen sink_. Put one somewhere else and all bets are off.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

As long as the outlet is -under_ the sink/counter, in a cabinet housing, a GFCI is not required by current (pun intended) U.S. National Electrical Code. YMMV in other jurisdictions.
Note: If you have an 'open' sink -- say, wall-mount, or 'pedestal', all bets are off.
Bill wrote:

Put in an electrical outlet ON the wall under the sink. It will make installation of the NEXT garbage disposal easier.
HeyBub wrote:

I sort of wish that seemed reasonable. As it is, I decided to install an outlet on the back of the plywood or particle board (?) on the back of the cabinet. Finally got all the parts together and am looking forward to an exciting Saturday night. : )
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Bill

Put a receptacle under the sink, GFI if you want. Operate the GD with a pneumatic switch which I bought from HD....on the same shelf as the GD's. The switch mounts in the countertop (3/4" hole, IIRC) next to the tap... handy as a pocket on a shirt....as a bag of chips?....

Put in a receptacle with GFI if you wish, high up in the sink cabinet and use one of these.
http://faucets.efaucets.com/faucets/Garbage%20Disposal%20Air%20Switch
On 9/3/2011 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:

why not just set an outlet in the box, plug it in and be done?
--
Steve Barker
On 9/3/2011 4:40 PM, Bill wrote:

You can -- but you violate Code if you do.

Yep.
Yikes!!
there were no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape* was used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction box....
Redo the electrical and install an outlet for the disposal. Assume the previous "electrician" wired it to a wall switch above the sink - if not, you should do so.
You can, of course, "hard-wire" the disposal to the junction box, but installing a GFCI duplex outlet (or a standard outlet) would be much better from a re-sale perspective. Anything a Home Inspector can readily see should LOOK "right." Anything that doesn't gets flagged and, then, you have to call a licensed electrician to "fix it" prior to closing - no fun and expensive!
Hoosierpopi wrote:

That's a good point about the switch. I'm writing that down so I don't forget to check. I finished installing the new outlet about 4am last night. It wasn't easy to get to, and there wasn't enough romex available to offer me many alternatives. Now, I can try to install the garbage disposal...

Actually, when we bought the house 2 years ago, we pointed out the lack of a GFCI outlet near the sink and the sellers put one in. So now, there is a 15A GFCI outlet on a 20A circuit/circuit breaker. Should it be swapped out with a 15A circuit breaker because of this? One could argue that the C'Breaker IS protecting "the wire", no? Or is this a potential hazard?
Thanks! Bill
On 9/4/2011 3:37 PM, Bill wrote:

Not usually a problem - where the branch circuit supplies one duplex, or two or more single receptacles - or a code violation in most locales. A 15A receptacle, standard or GFCI, is rated for 20A throughput.
Basically, it should be impossible by virtue of the plug configuration, by today's standards, to plug anything in that would be in violation.
CAVEAT: again, this may not apply to all jurisdictions, as even the exceptions may vary from place to place, IME.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/4/2011 5:06 PM, Swingman wrote: On 9/4/2011 5:06 PM, Swingman wrote:
> Basically, it should be impossible by virtue of the plug >configuration, by today's standards, to plug anything > in that would be in violation. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For the AR's ... that was intended to read "would be a danger".
Gotta be careful, in an electrical thread on the wRec, that you don't start a fire!
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/3/2011 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:

Glad you weren't looking for a quick answer! LOL
On 9/06/11 3:40 PM, Leon wrote:

In addition to the typo in electrical, he misspelled Quirky. :-)
--
Froz...

On 9/6/2011 2:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Hell, he got the correct answer on the second _reply_ at 4:46 PM. Nothing further was needed on the original question ... and for the GFCI question, eleven minutes later at 4:57 PM. :)
http://www.craftkb.com/Uwe/Threads/List.aspx/woodworking/55377/Quick-Electrial-Question
Everything since is either echoes, or noise. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Gosh, and I almost didn't post my "quick question". It's hard to guess what will capture peoples' interest. But I think if a thread has a lot of potential energy in it (like a good application of gravity, chickens, a catapult, gun powder, and/or electricity), that probably adds to its attractiveness to me and to many other like-minded overaged juvenile-delinquent's here! : )

http://www.craftkb.com/Uwe/Threads/List.aspx/woodworking/55377/Quick-Electrial-Question
"Bill" wrote in message Gosh, and I almost didn't post my "quick question". It's hard to guess what will capture peoples' interest. But I think if a thread has a lot of potential energy in it (like a good application of gravity, chickens, a catapult, gun powder, and/or electricity), that probably adds to its attractiveness to me and to many other like-minded overaged juvenile-delinquent's here! : )
======= You mean there was a question put forth? LOL
You do "stir-the-pot" here and make a lot of people think hard or research subjects. Some may hate the "noise" but it is good for most.
--
Eric

Eric wrote:

Gosh, I'm just the type that likes to ask questions, while others here really have the answers. But thank you.