Quick Electrial Question

Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach this to the romex in my junction box? I suspect the answer is no, but I have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape* was used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction box.... : (

Thank you, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Short answer: yes. As long as the romex wire is copper and not aluminum.

That is the better and maybe easier solution. GFCI outlet.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's usually that way for a good reason ... GD's are usually plugged into a switched receptacle, located _under_ the counter top, so that you can turn them on and off on at a switch somewhere _above_ the counter top ... much more convenient and safe.

You don't want to have to open the cabinet door reach and reach under the sink to turn the GD off and on.

Putting in a plug receptacle will take you about the same amount of time as it would to hardwire the GD.

Do it, it makes more sense in the long run.

Reply to
Swingman

Put in an electrical outlet ON the wall under the sink. It will make installation of the NEXT garbage disposal easier.

Reply to
HeyBub

Personally, I don't know that I would go to the expense and trouble as GFCI is not required under a kitchen sink for a garbage disposal by most NEC versions being used that I'm aware, and it is not really necessary in that application.

YMMV ....

Reply to
Swingman

Considering it's locaton, should a garbage disposal use a GFI plug?

Reply to
Dave

Not according to code in most locales _in a kitchen sink_. Put one somewhere else and all bets are off.

Reply to
Swingman

Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential for leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff. Either way, I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind the cost given their benefit.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just as long as you don't have to reset the damned thing three times a day eh?

Reply to
Dave

Wouldn't be allowed in the UK. Putting any kind of electrical outlet where it might get wet, such as under a sink, is a definite no-no. GFCI, RCCD or not.

The socket outlets are above the work-top and the cables brought up through small holes at the back to the plugs.

Reply to
Stuart

Put a receptacle under the sink, GFI if you want. Operate the GD with a pneumatic switch which I bought from HD....on the same shelf as the GD's. The switch mounts in the countertop (3/4" hole, IIRC) next to the tap... handy as a pocket on a shirt....as a bag of chips?....

Reply to
Robatoy

If that's happening, there's definitely something wrong. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Put in a receptacle with GFI if you wish, high up in the sink cabinet and use one of these.

Robatoy

As long as the outlet is -under_ the sink/counter, in a cabinet housing, a GFCI is not required by current (pun intended) U.S. National Electrical Code. YMMV in other jurisdictions.

Note: If you have an 'open' sink -- say, wall-mount, or 'pedestal', all bets are off.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well, when the wall switch that controls the disposer is 'off' there's

*no* electicity down there, anyway. A 'ground fault' -- that a GFCI would catch -- is possible _only_ when the GD is powered.

It's really _not_ necessary, and provides a benefit only under *very* limited (and _very_ unusual) circumstances.

There's no real -harm- in putting one in, although it may cause an un- necessary service call by the _next_ owner, if -- no, *WHEN* -- it trips.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

The sink is pretty thoroughly grounded in most residences.

Reply to
J. Clarke

why not just set an outlet in the box, plug it in and be done?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I sort of wish that seemed reasonable. As it is, I decided to install an outlet on the back of the plywood or particle board (?) on the back of the cabinet. Finally got all the parts together and am looking forward to an exciting Saturday night. : )

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Do me a favor and underline and bold type some more, could you? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Robert Bonomi" wrote

What wall switch? Not every disposal has a wall switch. Mine is plugged into a receptacle under the cabinet and the stopper is magnetic and controls an internal switch.

To the OP, it is better to keep the plug end if possible. Makes taking it out easier. You can make a very short cord to extend it if needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski