PSA: Harbor Freight Digital Caliper $16

Page 4 of 5
Yes, clamping or gluing is the way to go. Drilling the caliper arms is difficult.
For around double the cost, you can get horizontal and vertical dro's which look like Harbor Freight's digital calipers without the arms, but with mounting holes on both sides.
Here is an example of a vertical one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 581&item840273611&rd=1
and here is an example of a horizontal one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryA939&item840604709&rd=1
You can find better prices if you look for it.
They also make very long ones, so you could put one on your table saw fence if you wanted to.
Some dro's and most digital calipers have serial port connectors (intended for statistical process control) so you could mount one inside your table saw trunnion and put a separate display somewhere else (for example on the overhead guard if you have one). You could use it to display the height of the blade.
You could also have one display the angle of blade, but that is a bit tricky.

Absolutely unbelievable! I would never imagine that you can get these readouts for this kind of money. I would certainly get the readouts that are made for mounting on a tool for the $35 or so that they are asking for them. You can jog the number up or down slightly to bring it into the correct reading.
By the way, where can I get the specs on the electrical interface? I called Harbor Freight on that, but even though they said they would get back to me, I don't think they will be able to find the info. Where would I look? The caliper is a Cen-tech. Tried to look them up with little success. If anyone knows who makes the readout or who in this country might know what the interface is, let me know.

A few months ago I found a web page that described the interface. I just looked but couldn't find it. Try searching rec.crafts.metalworking on groups.google.com.
A year ago, the vertical dro's were going for $50. Now they are $35. I suspect in a few years they will be $5 and people will be installing them on their toilet seats.

which
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 581&item840273611&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryA939&item840604709&rd=1
fence
(intended
table
the
of
I found it:
http://www.shumatech.com/support/chinese_scales.htm#Digimatic%20Protocol

is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 581&item840273611&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryA939&item840604709&rd=1
height
If you need a cable, have a look at this one:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID 90

dro's
with
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 581&item840273611&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryA939&item840604709&rd=1
saw
on
bit
Great Al. Thanks. A 3 axis display is shown here also. A little pricey for my purposes. I am going to look for just a single external display. So far I see that there are kits to make your own. Guess that is an option. Really great source material. Thanks again.

Hello again AL,
As I said, it is possible to create a fixture to do what you want (on the jointer at least) but the task is not easy and accurate results aren't going to come cheap.
http://www.ts-aligner.com
On 18 Sep 2004 15:44:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com (Ed Bennett) wrote:

null axis of the warp......
<GD&R>
Bridger, are you starting to think this guy is a puzzle maker? :)
(Ed Bennett) wrote:

blade
vertical
looking at

( .

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message

Yup! It's deja vu all over again!
:)

Did I miss something?

http://www.ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com
The angle plates I'm considering are in the $5 to $10 range--imported to match my imported indicators. I realize the disk shaped points require the indicators to be perpendicular. I just don't think it will be that hard to do. But I will experiment with both types of points.

I've purchased a number of these cheap angle plates for fixturing in the shop. They are pretty handy but don't expect them to be very accurate. Don't be surprised if they rock on a flat surface.
The proper choice of indicator point is Metrology kindergarden. A flat stylus should only be used on a round surface. A round stylus should only be used on a flat surface. A knife edge is basically a flat surface (flat in one dimension anyway). To obtain reliable and repeatable results, a round stylus is called for.
"Flat contact points have an important role but can be a serious cause of error when improperly used" "Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology" by Ted Busch, 2nd Edition p.256, (c) 1989 Delmar Publishers Inc.
This is a great book by the way. A "must read" for anyone interested in designing their own alignment and measurement fixturing. It can still be found on Amazon for about $3.00. The latest edition will set you back about $85.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com

The gages sold by Oneway and Powermatic use flat disk shaped points. I will be trying several different shapes to see what works best. The rules be d*mned. I also have the Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology and think it is very good.

the
http://www.ts-aligner.com
Regarding the angle plates, the cheap ones I currently use don't rock on my surface plate. I'm not sure if they are exactly perpendicular, but I don't need them to be.

the
For one thing, you can't convert from mm to inches and visa versa You also can reset the zero to add "more length" to a measurement, or get a differential measurement quickly Frank