powermatic 71 cabinet saw

Local auction will be selling an older Powermatic cabinet saw, Model 71. Searching here reveals little on this saw; www.OWWM has a bit more, and some pics; a call to Powermatic turns up only scant info, no manual, and a parts diagram/list (which they helpfully e-mailed).
What I know: early 60s manufacture date; listed as a 12" blade, 230v saw; the sale saw was probably used in a high school shop (got that chipped, institutional green, re-paint treatment), has full cast iron wings but no fence/rails (that I recall), and I haven't looked at the motor yet (won't be able to power it up).
What might be a reasonable price to give for this saw, given it will probably need a complete rebuild (which I don't mind doing), possibly a new motor ($250+), and a fence/rail system ($250+). I currently use an old c-man contractors that I have sweetly tuned-up. I could possibly move the fence I now use.
Thanks.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

Given that description, if I can't turn it on, at least turn the arbor by hand to try to check state of bearings....if it isn't frozen and feels smooth, I'd give $2-300 at most. If they feel rough or really stiff, I'd probably pass unless the part diagram shows the spindle assembly thoroughly enough you can tell whether bearings can be easily replaced. Of course, it may have used pre-loaded bearings and getting the proper replacements can be iffy...
That said, the chances are it's a pretty good saw and while cosmetically rough, quite good chance it's essentially as good as new operationally...

A tip. (My 1968 34-300 bearings just went, and you can't get them anymore).
Put a saw blade on the arbor and remove the belt to test this. Without the weight, the bearings were smooth. With the extra weight, the roughness was more obvious.
Just an fyi... New bearings can be had for about 15 bux.
If its from a school - assume its 3 phase - unless you are sure otherwise. If its 3 phase make sure u know how you are going to power it - either a new motor or phase converter.
Adjustment of this saw is a bit of a PITA (I have one and rebuild 1 from scratch - its actaully an ongoing project) The entire assembly hangs from the table. On the other hand - it is a tank - cast iron wings on a huge table. Its worth what you are willing to put into it. I paid 400 for mine - I replaced the motor ($85.00) and new bearings (15 bux - but a bitch to change) Took the entire thing apart and blasted everything - in the process of rebuilding it back. More of a labor of love and challange than a necessity.
good luck w/ it.

Rob V wrote:

That was my major caveat...sometimes it's not easy to get the right replacement or there is a one-piece spindle ass'y that is essentially user-untouchable. These, I gather were an over-the-counter replacement...that's good and would raise my value limit significantly to know that a priori.
I ended up getting them Acurate Bearings (I can dig up the number if needed) Anyways - I told them what type of saw it was - they knew the bearing and had it out to me the next day.
If i remember correctly it - it was like a 303 or something like that. Again - I can dig up my notes if anyone wants the exact info.