Powermatic 66

Picked up an older Powermatic 66 10" cabinet saw. Needs to be cleaned up and a few parts replaced. Anyone recommend a web site where I could find parts for the saw? Need a motor cover for sure and maybe a blade guard. Is a blade guard worth the effort?

Thanks MB

Reply to
nevems2

motor covers for those are like hen's teeth. either make one out of plywood or have a sheet metal shop fold one up for you. if your objective is to do a restoration rather than just to get it running, you might find one on ebay or through one of the machinery dealers. powermatic will (I think) sell you a motor cover, but they have (I think) gone to a cheap plastic thing for which they want some silly amount of money.

whether to use a blade guard is one of those religious subjects. you'll have to decide for yourself whether or not to use one. if you decide to do so, shop around for aftermarket guards. there are a lot of them on the market, of varoius designs, many of which are far better than the factory one ever was.

Reply to
bridger

Go here

and "browse" around looking at the FAQ and other writing... Many folks there are willing to help out "if" you do a little research on your own.

There are MANY Powermatic owners on the list.

The blade guard is a personal thing. Count on your fingers the number of times you "wished" you had a guard. If you get to ten, that is your answer.

nevems2 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Bought one new several years ago. Something to keep me company through my retirement. I love that saw. However the guard/splitter and mitre just plain suck. If they would spend the time, effort, and money to improve those to the level of the Biesemeyer clone fence, it would be marvelous. I bought and Incra 2K and a Bies overhead guard with dust pickup and splitter. Estupendo! Well worth the extra $. And yes I still have 12 talented fingers dancing across these keys. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

There's nothing special about the motor cover--construct one from ply. The PM66 guard is cumbersome, but it is worth using and could save you a trip to the emergency room. There are third-party guards you could make, some have dust collection.

Reply to
Phisherman