portercable dovetail jig

i have an old sears dovetail jig, but my sears router died..... and my new porter cable router template guides are just a little wide for the sears template..... bummer, because it really did make nice dovetails.... 1/2 blind.... not through...and the *bushing guide* for the sears models won't fit on the p-c.

my question:.... is the 12" PC dovetail jig worthwhile ?? i don't have the money nor the inclination to buy the leigh d4...... while i admit that it is a nice machine and if i could find one for about 1/3 the cost..... we don't need to go there......

does any one know if the PC guide templates will fit on the sears jig? they look the same.....but then in pictures they all look similar.... i have gotten use to the set up on the sears jig.....

oh how i wish sears would use a *standard* sizing......

Reply to
WARRENRN1

My dad just got me a sears dovetail jig at an auction from a school. it is pretty beat up. I have a Porter cable 693 and a cheap brand of collars for it. the nearest collar was too big so i ran it on a rasp until it had a nice fit. Not the best solution but it worked and i am pleased with the results. my problem is that the template is pretty well hosed where students must have pulled the bit up out of the with the router running so i have to use the template from the right side.

You wouldnt happen to have the manual for that would you? If you would be interested in unloading the jig it let me know.

Have a good day Rick

Reply to
Rick Cox

I have the 12 " PC dovetail jig and for it's size it works great. It comes with a bit but it's not the greatest. I picked up the jig from Woodcraft last summer for $98. It's a rock solid machine for it's price.

Reply to
Mike S.

I've used the P-C jig quite a bit and it works fine. A bit touchy on the setup, but once you get it dialed in it's okay. The bit that comes with it is just a high speed stell bit though...not carbide so get thee thine own carbide bit my son and go forth and create half-blind dovetails. Or box joints if you prefer! In either 1/2" or 1/4" with the appropriate template.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Sumner

I don't know about the PC template working on the sears jig, but I have the

12" PC (4112) and it works fine. In retrospect, I don't think I would have spent the money as there are others that will do the same thing with the same quality.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

What size do you need? Measure it with some calipers and I'll measure my guides for you. I believe I have the set from Rockler.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Hmmm...lots of questions to answer.

I don't have the sears unit, but couldn't you just get a smaller PC bushing? Or is it the height of the bushing (if so, run it on some sandpaper that's backed on something flat like your tablesaw table).

As far as a different Jig, I built the Woodsmith #58 dovetail jig, it cost about $50 in parts -- I used my PC 690 with it. I'd be willing to sell it (see below for the why).

You never know about getting a Leigh Dovetail jig for cheap. I picked one up for $100 in prime condition (all parts and manual) last weekend (kind of a drive by neener, but what can I do ;) It was in the classifieds, the guy had bought it used himself and never used it so sold it. I read the classifieds every single morning, I've gotten quite a bit of stuff that way.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho