Porter Cable 371k sander

Lowes has this sander on clearance for $80 but I read a few older reviews that stated there is a serious heat problem that develops very quickly. Has this problem been addressed in newer models? Is it worth $80?
"Neal" wrote:

----------------------------- It's a cute little toy.
Question is do you want a cute little toy in your shop or do you keep that $80 still in your pocket?
IMHO, a bigger question, why would you want a belt sander in the first place?
Lew
Wow, I can think of many reasons.
I use a belt sander to cut counters into the walls. It makes it easy scribe, then fit.
Also I have had wood that I can not for the life of me plane. One of my workbenches has a prefab glued up 2 3/4 inch maple top. The boards have grain in all different directions. I tried a higher pitch and still it would not work well. I finally gave in and belt sanded it.
There are times...
I bought the ryobi belt sander for $69. I don't use it too much and that is why I took the risk. I think I got a great buy. The flat top would allow me to invert it if I wanted to. The dust collection is very good. The variable speed good. I also bought a sanding frame for it for $3...
I have used it on my deck. I rented a floor unit and where I couldn't get close it came in very handy, plus the hand rails.
Way nicer than power washing.
There are many uses for a belt sander, make sure you get one that serves your needs.
On 12/27/2010 11:21 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"tiredofspam" wrote:

"Cut" is the operative word.
IMHO, a belt sander is an abrasive cutting tool, not a finishing tool.
You can do a lot of damage if you are not careful. ---------------------------

That's why drum sanders exist.
About 15 minutes and you have a flat top for less than $30 rental time at a local comerical drum sanding shop. -------------------------------

Agreed there are several uses; however, can't think of any that involve fine wood working.
If you consider a belt sander as a serious cutting tool, which it is, it gives you a whole different perspective.
The unit in question is also very small for a belt sander which further limits it's application IMHO.
Lew

use and even with the low price is not worth $80. I'd rather spend the $80 on quality wood.
Neal

another one. Go to the Fine Woodworking site and search for belt sander. You will see that many top end cabinet makers use their belt sanders frequently. I have two. A big one and a small one. Wouldn't be without either one.
Gotta love it. Neither has used the 371k sander and they both think it's a toy. It's bigger than any router bits either of you own, does that make your router bits all toy's? C'mon guy's, give advice when you know what in the hell you're talking about. At least go to the store and pick one up before being the tool expert.
Bob S.

On 12/30/2010 7:19 PM, BobS wrote:

I do own the little beast and find it handy for lots of things. It does get warm, but, with that much motor in a small package, understandably so.
A "toy" it is not ... tell that to the table tops and glued up panels I've flattened with it.
Use quality belts and it works a treat ... like any other tool, you gotta have enough uncommon sense to know how to get the best out it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I just purchased mine a couple of months back and although only lightly used, I never noticed a heat problem.
Don't be fooled by it's size, this sander can make a lot of sawdust - quickly. I live in Syracuse, NY and Syracuse Industrial carries a complete selection of belts (2-1/2"x14") for it. The big box stores only had a couple of grits available in this belt size.
Well worth the asking price.
Bob S.