Plunge saw choices

"Swingman" wrote

Thought you were from outer space, eh? That would explain some things!

I know what you mean about making something that other people/tradesman don't usually experience. I have had similar experiences. Some creative design, intelligence and execution is definitely in short supply in this "modern" world. Not that many craftsman around any more.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have a single pair of these listed below. They are like the Kreg locking pliers with the smaller round swivel end and the bigger round swivel but they are self adjusting for any thickness material with in it's capacity. Clamping pressure remains constant at what you set it regardless of thickness being clamped. Pretty high quality for this type tool. I got mine at a WW show a couple of years ago and will be buying more next go round. So easy to use that I use them left handed and I am right handed.

Leon

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:kd9kcl$8rl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

10" with swivel pads are $17.50 ea on Amazon, qualify for prime shipping.
Reply to
Han

BUT the ones at Amazon do not have the 2" disk one then end like the Kreg brand. They only have the pair with the 1" swivel disks. I am currently in contact with the manufacturer to see of they can be had with the larger disk.. That said, there are ways around that.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Glue on some bigger pads, perhaps?

Reply to
Han

Yeah that is what I am thinking, perhaps fender washers and some epoxy. At any rate I think I am going to have to find the old vendor that I originally bought them from or buy them and make the modification my self.

I clamp my work down when sanding and these work the best for me as they do not have to be adjusted. Should have bought 2 at the show a couple of years ago. Apparently The Woodworking Show is no longer coming to Houston. Hopefully someone else will fill the void. The Wood Working shows did a piss poor job.

Reply to
Leon

Ok! I found the vendor. Looks like an additional $10 for the privileged of having the bigger disk added.

Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Reply to
Han

To tell you the truth, these things are a lot like pocket hole screws. They work well for a lot of outher uses.

I have never used mine for clamping during a pocket hole procedure. You may be happy with the standard issue. I'll probably get a pair from Amazon too.

Reply to
Leon

Forget about the disk being on the clamp. Put a washer on the Kreg jig and then you're not locked into one clamp.

guess the clamp won't "attach" to the jig like the Kregs, but I can't say I've ever missed that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

No as far as depth, I have tried much deeper and much shallower, same results. It appears that the plastic tube is too flexible when screwed all the way in, when it's screwed out it appears to have some side support.

I have tried deep holes using thicker pieces so I could move away from the edge more, and it had no effect. So my guess is I got the bad one.

Reply to
woodchucker

Same mechanism (close) the the Bessey Holddown... which came first?

Reply to
woodchucker

It just has "R3" on it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:02:23 -0600, Leon

use. I particularly like the new Bessey self adjusting toggle clamps.

Dave

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:48:00 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I've got the K3 system as well as the Kreg table saw mitre gauge.

Reply to
Dave

I have the Master System and two minis.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Bessy came out with their hold down last year or the year before IIRC. The CH Hanson ones have been considerably longer. Mine is 3~4 years old. I seems I have seen the mechanism on other similar products before that.

Reply to
Leon

And, more than one way to screw a cat:

Swingman

-------------------------------------------- Years ago when CBS TV was running "On the road" programs on Sunday morning, they had a contributor who lived in Nebraska and submitted his stories under the heading, "Postcards from Nebraska".

One of his "Postcards" was a story about the machine shop who invented "ViceGrips".

Story went to great lengths to show all the unusual ways they jerry rigged "ViceGrips" to solve problems.

Most of the odd ball special "ViceGrips" brought to market were an outgrowth of solving these unique clamping problems in their own shop.

Just another dose of Friday morning trivia.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Yep, years ago I took a welding class. The instructor, who wrote out textbook, was a big fan of vicegrips. He had boxes of them modified for every purpose imaginable. A requirement for certification from his program was to make up some vice grip "helpers". He was big on jigs and these modified visegrips really helped out with unusual welding and fabrication problems. Particularly in the field and welding non square materials. He even had a few designed for metal artists.

I brought in some visegrips and welded different shapes to them. Also cut off portions of them and welded extensions to them. I made up several of them for my own use. I probably saw at least fifty different configurations of these specialty clamping devices in this class.

Reply to
Lee Michaels