Plunge saw choices

Page 2 of 2
On 1/17/2013 3:07 PM, Han wrote:

BUT the ones at Amazon do not have the 2" disk one then end like the Kreg brand. They only have the pair with the 1" swivel disks. I am currently in contact with the manufacturer to see of they can be had with the larger disk.. That said, there are ways around that.

Glue on some bigger pads, perhaps?
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/17/2013 3:50 PM, Han wrote:

Yeah that is what I am thinking, perhaps fender washers and some epoxy. At any rate I think I am going to have to find the old vendor that I originally bought them from or buy them and make the modification my self.
I clamp my work down when sanding and these work the best for me as they do not have to be adjusted. Should have bought 2 at the show a couple of years ago. Apparently The Woodworking Show is no longer coming to Houston. Hopefully someone else will fill the void. The Wood Working shows did a piss poor job.
On 1/17/2013 3:50 PM, Han wrote:

Ok! I found the vendor. Looks like an additional $10 for the privileged of having the bigger disk added.
http://www.cabinet-hardware-solutions.com/Clamps.html

I'll see what I'll do after the pair I ordered get here.
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/17/2013 4:30 PM, Han wrote:

To tell you the truth, these things are a lot like pocket hole screws. They work well for a lot of outher uses.
I have never used mine for clamping during a pocket hole procedure. You may be happy with the standard issue. I'll probably get a pair from Amazon too.
On 1/17/13 3:44 PM, Leon wrote:

Forget about the disk being on the clamp. Put a washer on the Kreg jig and then you're not locked into one clamp.
http://mikedrums.com/KregJig.jpg
I guess the clamp won't "attach" to the jig like the Kregs, but I can't say I've ever missed that.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/17/13 5:48 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

It just has "R3" on it.
--

-MIKE-

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:48:00 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I've got the K3 system as well as the Kreg table saw mitre gauge.
I have the Master System and two minis.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
On 1/17/2013 2:02 PM, Leon wrote:

Those are real nice, Same mechanism (close) the the Bessey Holddown... which came first?
--
Jeff

On 1/17/2013 6:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Bessy came out with their hold down last year or the year before IIRC. The CH Hanson ones have been considerably longer. Mine is 3~4 years old. I seems I have seen the mechanism on other similar products before that.

I agree, the self adjusting mechanisms make many clamps much easier to use. I particularly like the new Bessey self adjusting toggle clamps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmaS2rRDd48

"Swingman" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Years ago when CBS TV was running "On the road" programs on Sunday morning, they had a contributor who lived in Nebraska and submitted his stories under the heading, "Postcards from Nebraska".
One of his "Postcards" was a story about the machine shop who invented "ViceGrips".
Story went to great lengths to show all the unusual ways they jerry rigged "ViceGrips" to solve problems.
Most of the odd ball special "ViceGrips" brought to market were an outgrowth of solving these unique clamping problems in their own shop.
Just another dose of Friday morning trivia.
Lew

Yep, years ago I took a welding class. The instructor, who wrote out textbook, was a big fan of vicegrips. He had boxes of them modified for every purpose imaginable. A requirement for certification from his program was to make up some vice grip "helpers". He was big on jigs and these modified visegrips really helped out with unusual welding and fabrication problems. Particularly in the field and welding non square materials. He even had a few designed for metal artists.
I brought in some visegrips and welded different shapes to them. Also cut off portions of them and welded extensions to them. I made up several of them for my own use. I probably saw at least fifty different configurations of these specialty clamping devices in this class.
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:14:11 AM UTC-8, Bill wrote:

I use an F clamp, a deep bar clamp. Kreg maks a vice grips type thing and some shops use those band saw table type hold downs and make a little channel in their work benc to accomodate.

And, more than one way to screw a cat:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsSofaTable#5793270778907836994
;)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Wouldn't that be one or two simple straight edges, perhaps with a couple of loosely tightened bar clamps to hold it in place?
I bought one of these a few years ago which would serve that purpose.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pP074&cat=1,240,45313

I'm amazed at how cleanly plunge saws work for that. Outstanding.

I'm an FF (frugal duck) and went with the Makita SP6001K and adore it. It will cut as deep as a tubafore with ease, but maybe not quite at a full 45 degrees. I doubt I'll use it for that, anyway, though.
It comes in its own systainer (a Festool word) but is less expensive. With the money saved, you could purchase another length of guide, retaining bars, and another blade or three. I have two 55" guides for a total of 110". My li'l ShopVac with a cleanstream filter works well for dust control.
-- Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha

For many years, I used a standard circular saw with a straight edge (saw board) to cut down plywood sheets. I got straight cuts, but the edges of the cuts were terrible with lots of chipout. I tried different blades, tape, and other methods but always had the chipout. Occasionally I would even drift away from the straight edge messing up my cut.
I had a hard time believing a track saw would cut any differently, but I sprung for a Makita SP6000K track saw anyway. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the cuts. They're as clean as the cuts I get from my tablesaw. The track ensures they are dead accurate, and hooking up my shop vac virtually eliminates the sawdust that used to fly everywhere during a cut. It's also much quieter than my old saw with a nice soft start feature.
The track saw is a fantastic addition to my shop. I only wish I had taken the leap earlier.
I think Wood Whisperer did a video podcast comparing track saws a few years ago?
Anthony Watson Mountain Software www.mountain-software.com/about.htm