Stored Wood

It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

Mike M

OH My yes! Those are beautiful and the spalting in the bowl is spectacular.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

> Mike M

WOW! That bowl is beautiful! Oddly I have some spalted oak that looks very very close to that in color.

And surrounded with maple.

Leon

> Mike M

Damn, that's purty! That bowl makes me want to go buy lathe.

So, is that your shop?

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks I was real pleased with the look and that I got most of the tree stored with the ends coated.

Reply to
Mike M

>>> Mike M

build the resaw jig so I can cut some boards out of the rounds. The spalted oak looks real good in the middle of the doors.

Reply to
Mike M

>>> Mike M

That is the shop, though I did get paint on everything this fall so it looks pretty good. There's another addition on the other side though not as large.

Reply to
Mike M

>>> Mike M

I learned the hard way to wear a face shield if it can come off. Didn't properly chuck something and gave myself a black eye.

Reply to
Mike M

Impressive ... and I'm envious. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I have said this a few times lately, the new carbide tipped turning tools have a near zero learning curve. I have 3 and replaced all of my 15 or so other traditional turning tools.

Reply to
Leon

Love it. Is there a base or foot on the bowl? What finish?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have one, but I haven't used it much, maybe I'll give it another try. I've found that as I've got better at sharpening, specificaly the finger ground gouges and learned to use the bevel more I do pretty well. On the outside once the shape is roughed out I prefer to use a skew chisel the most.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

There is a slight concave on 1/2 the base. I'm able to chuck it up on a Oneway face set up for grabbing bowls so I turn the base last. If you look close at the far side you can see the start of a crack in the edge so it won't be holding liquids so I didn't worry about food safe. I used Watco natural danish oil and a few coats of a satin gel poly.

Reply to
Mike M

I taught our son to turn - he was turning by himself and after a number of nice items - one afternoon while I was at work he stabbed a block a bit aggressively and a half flung off and hit him in the face shield hood area. Just above the clear plastic. Snapped a nice silver dollar size half moon. - He hasn't turned since. That has been 12 years of so. Such is life. - He knows how to do a number of projects and maybe someday he will try again.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Is the pointy-thing in the first picture a cake decorator?

Reply to
HeyBub

>>>Is the pointy-thing in the first picture a cake decorator?

Wine Stopper

Reply to
Mike M