Please help with species identification

Page 1 of 2

Greetings. I have started working with the restoration of mid 1800's accordeons. Since I am new to this group, I don't know what is possible, and would like someone to help me identify the wood species. Is there a place in this group where I can post a few pictures, and have someone look at them? The research on these instruments I was able to do had one account that said the veneer was rosewood with holly lines (accent trim). Most of the instruments were imported into the USA from Paris France, however other were also made in the USA. To my untrained eye, the wood looks like walnut, however factors such as age, finish, etc. make it even more difficult to tell. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Andy

Post the picture to alt.binaries.pictures.woodowrking in .jpg format.
To my

A thousand words are not worth a picture. ;~) Unless a good picture is shown, no one will know for sure.
Leon wrote:

Or put it up on <http://www.flickr.com (free service unless you're posting a _lot_ of images) and post a link.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Thank you. I posted six pics to Flickr. They are tagged accordeon, and are titles Accordeon 001, Accordeon 002, Accordeon 003 Accordeon 004, Accordeon 007, and Accordeon 008. 001 & 002 are of the US made instrument, 003 & 004 are of the French made instrument, and 007 & 008 are of French made instrument (Frame Only).
Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thank you in advance, Andy

Were you able to find your pictures?
Leon wrote:

Greetings, Thank God, I was finally able to find out what was wrong (in the configuration settings) that would not allow me to post to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking! It will only allow me to post one picture at a time, however I have sent three posts. Post 1: Species Identification is of the American made accordeon, Post 2: Species Identification - 2 is of the French made accordeon, and Post 3: Species Identification - 3 is of a French made accordeon (frame only).
In Flickr, I could only find my pictures by clicking on the "My Pictures" but not by searching for them.
Thank you for your patience, and I hope to hear from you once you have some time to look over the pics. Andy

Not totally out of the woods yet. It is not uncommon for some pics to not be visible to others. We'll cross our fingers. :~)
Andy wrote:

What handle did you use?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

The first two posts were 'Andrew Gelfert', then I changed it to more friendly 'Andy'. I posted using the News server 163.28.160.15 sucessfully. When I try to use another news server such as news.readfreenews.net, when trying to post I get the following error: Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Accordeon 1', Account: 'news.readfreenews.net', Server: 'news.readfreenews.net', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '440 Posting Not Allowed.', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 440, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9. I have also posted croped down (size) versions of the pics to the alt.binaries.pictures.furniture group.Could you please add the newsserver of 163.28.16.15 and go to either newsgroup and see if you can see the pics?
As for sending a piece of the wood to be identified ... this would be out of the question, in that the size of the piece that is required would destroy the instruments. However, thank you for the link.
Andy wrote:

I meant on flickr.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Greetings!
This might be an even much better alternative ... Flickr allows you to create a webpage to post your pics ... so I did
Please go directly to http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyacc to view the photos.
Please let me know, I am praying that this works. Andy

I saw it fine Andy. Your quest was successful! I don't know the wood species. Sorry about that. It would seem to me that it would be easier to identify if the pieces were a little larger. Given the shape, you probably can not do that.
What country are you in? I did not know that accordians were that old. How old an instrument is the accordian? And is there a good market for antique accordians?
Good l;uck with your unique avocation.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Thank God that worked, and thank you for looking. The first patent for such an accordeon was filed in Paris, France in 1829 by an Italian of Armenian descent named Cyril Damian. The instruments are specialty items, and interest is limited to historians, some collectors, musicologists, however my interest is in music, and musical instruments during the American civil war (I am in the USA). Thank you for the well wishes. Perhaps I will post more pictures (now that I know how to do that) and perhaps a larger sampeling will give better clues. Thank you again.

Looks like Walnut to me. Perhaps with a little burl.
Leon wrote:

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I have posted a total of 30 pics on the website. I am going to start a new thread, so that many people can view and comment on the pics. Again, I thank you all for your help, and appreciate your comments, and expertise.
Leon wrote:

Leon,
Thank you for your reply. I have spent that last while trying to get to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I finally went to a free news server (news.readfreenews.net) and was able to see message threads. I was not able to post any pictures because when I tried to send a post (with pics attached), I got a message saying that the address I was trying to send to was not valid (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking). Please help me understand how to get there, and how to post. Thank you again, Andy
Andy

Some of these groups are not easily accessible depending on you ISP. Fortunately I have no problem using OE and accessing this group. I am sure someone may be able to lead you the way, fortunately I have not had to learn another way.
Next time you need to be able to take some sharp close-up shots that illustrate the grain, pores and other identifiable characteristics. Include a scale or ruler for size reference similar to what you see on crime shows where the CSI photographs small objects. Use a neutral brown or gray background, white gives glare with a flash, black would obscure edge details, photofloods would help as the flash is usually too bright for close ups.
As the photos you have, it could be almost any wood treated to look like many other woods. Lack of detail prevent even trying a guess.

EXT wrote:

I will take more pics with your suggestions, and hope to re-post prior to Monday. Thank you.
Leon wrote:

GIF or TIF is better. JPEG modeling typically loses fine detail such as ray flecks.
--

FF