Help with component identification

Hi all,

I have a CSR 1455 bluetooth development device, where the USB connector (Ty pe 'B' socket) has been damaged - it looks like the plug was hit pretty har d. The result is the socket has been shoved sideways on the PCB and has com e in to contact with an IC (U1) breaking one of the legs off.

So now the problem is not only replacing the USB socket (simple) but also g etting a replacement for 'U1'. The IC is only marked with 'S22X' which I'm assuming is a shortcode for the 'real' type number, but 'googling' hasn't b rought up any helpful hints of what the device really is.

If it helps I've posted a couple of pictures here:

Before removing the USB socket:

With the USB socket removed:

Anyone have any ideas what the true identity of the device is and maybe mor e importantly where to get one?

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
s1mon.black

The chip seems to go to two pins on the USB socket, can you trace out whether they are the D+/D- pins or the 5V/0V pins? If power pins, does the device give or receive power on the USB interface?

Some of the SMD codes S22* show either zener diodes or LDO voltage regulators in SOT23-6 packages

If you removed the dead chip could you get a test probe onto the remnant of the snapped pin? e.g. to identify it with a cheapo Mega328 component tester?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Almost certainly a USB Static / Over-Voltage protection device. You'll probably be fine without it.

Reply to
Richard Jones

Probably...

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

This device I reckon..

Richard Jones

Am 15.02.2017 um 09:32 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk:

Just guessing:

Matthias Czech

Many thanks to all that have posted, I think we have a winner! It does look very much like one of these:

Which fortunately are stocked by Farnell with a reasonable minimum order qty :-)

When I have a chance I'll just double check some measurements on the remaining pins - should be able to confirm the Rs and Rup values.

Thanks again to all

Simon

Reply to
s1mon.black

I think that's pretty convincing.

Can you get a thin strand from some fine stranded wire soldere to the stump of the broken pin, and put it back in place with that wire connected to the originai pad?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

+1

When I built my Acorn Atom from a kit, static rams came in pairs. You needed two chips for for 1K ram and they were £6 each which was a lot in 1978.

I snapped a pin off one chip and resorted to carefully sawing off the corner and soldering some wire wrap wire onto the metal stump and then onto the PCB. And it worked fine. Shame about the bloody awful keyboard though.

Reply to
Andrew

Restoring a pre-war radio I pulled too hard on the top-cap of a valve and the wire sheered off flush with the glass. I used a diamond file to remove half a mm of glass around the wire, and soldered a strand of copper wire, and reattached the topcap with araldite.

Reply to
Graham.

Just a final followup.... With a new IC (STF202) and USB socket fitted, the device is now working again!

Thanks to all for the help identifying the component

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
s1mon.black