Places to get hardwood in Hampton Rds VA

I have been searching off and on for a while trying to find a "good" supplier of hardwood lumber for projects; have any of you folks found reasonably priced supplier in the VA Pennisula area? I did find one guy who sold me some 4/4 and 5/4 cherry (roughsawn but moisture @ 6%) for $6.70/bf. The lumber was practically clear and pretty straight but in my searches (granted, the material is aways off) I have found it for less, or a wash, including freight. The down side, as I see it, is that I either drive at least a couple of hours to pick wood out or I end up with whatever is sent to me (oh bother!). What kind of mail-order experience have y'all had?
Thanks Much!
On 1/9/2010 10:30 AM, Robert Sorenson wrote:

No mail order experience, but when I was last in that area I recall getting some good pointers from folks doing boat restorations in a couple of marinas - and I'd guess that you could get some worthwhile suggestions up at Colonial Williamsburg (friendly folks who really knew their stuff!)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar