Piece marking advice wanted

I've been using the removable masking tape (blue) for labeling pieces as I cut them, but have seen that sometimes, especially on plywood, the tape will pull some of the wood fibers from under the tape when I remove it after a day or so. I quit using pencil because it can take a lot of sanding or scraping to remove the marks.

Is there another tape I can use which will not leave adhesive or pull fibers from the wood, or do I need to use pencil or some other write-on marking system (e.g., chalk)?

Reply to
Hitch

Try using the small sticky notes.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote in news:mAZDc.257613$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Do they make Post-it tape? Post-its themselves don't have enough adhesive area to prevent them from being accidentally dislodged. I could rip the non-adhesive portions from the notes, but it would be easier to use tape.

Reply to
Hitch

Try the green masking tape used by painters & decorators. It's designed to be easily removed. Mark info on the tape before removing and sticking on the wood. You can use any sort of pen then.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

John,

Been awhile since I looked but there is a 3m "Super-Sticky" PostIt note

may be some other low-adhesion tapes that won't pull up any grain but I've been using the 3M blue tape for several years now and haven't any problems.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Chalk is what I use. White chalk on dark wood and some other colored chalk on light wood. My daughter has sidewalk chalk in kind of a brown color. I either use that or blue for the light wood. I have NEVER had any problem with it dying or staining the wood (plywood or otherwise), or otherwise interfering with the finish.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Paint thinner will remove pencil marks.

Reply to
Leon

Yes. I have a roll around somewhere.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Besides the obvious, that there's an end, edge, or inside that will accept marking without having to worry about removal.

I keep the pieces in stacks, labeled.

Reply to
George

You've gotten some good advice, and some IMHO not-so-good advice.

The good advice: post-it notes (or post-it tape), pencil marks in hidden or to-be-trimmed-off places, stacking like parts together and labelling the stack.

The not-so-good advice: chalk. On close-grained woods such as maple or cherry, chalk is just fine. But it should *not* be used on open-grained woods. I have very un-fond memories of a morning spent with a bright light and a magnifying glass, using a dental examiner to pick bits of chalk out of the pores on three pieces of beautiful quartersawn red oak before I could finish it. Now, I use chalk only for marking rough lumber.

Doug Miller

John, An old drag racing tip will work here as well. When product sponsors offering contingency awards for winners they would require us to have a product sticker on the car. (We were NOT required to use the product, only the sticker!)

We did not want most of these super sticky logos on the car permently so we would stick it to our shirt or pants first. This would lift the cotton fibers and provide for easy removal after the award ceremony and contingency awards were handed out.

Stick the tape to you pant leg before applying it to the wood, use a Sharpie to make notes. Works great.

Dave

TeamCasa

I use crayon, usually on the back, edge, or end that won't show. Even on faces of boards, if you use only enough pressure to write, the crayon sands off easily. You can even use colors for additional meanings.

I also keep crayons on the jointer to mark the 90 degree edges.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Chalk works very well for me.

Reply to
Mike G

gee Doug..... I think we went to the same school... Picyune Chalk Outtaboard High....

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

I have seen David Marks use it. Do you have trouble getting it out of the open grain of Oak or Walnut?

Reply to
Leon

Just don't pound it in with a sledge hammer like Doug does. You can always reapply it. If an errant particle does get caught you should be able to remove it with compressed air. I've never had that trouble before - not even on red oak or walnut.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Reply to
Leon

Drafting tape.

Reply to
CW

I use either chalk or pencil. If you go with a pencil make sure you only use a 2B to 6B - stay away from the Ticonderogas or the other #2 SAT versions - the higher # you go in the B range the softer the "lead" and it won't leave an impression in the surface. (Needless to say, stay away from the HB and H series.)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

i dont know exactly how much id'ing you need but you can wrap each piece up in paper and label it, or tie a string around it with a tag on that depending on how big the piece is... OR you can put paper down on some shelves, label the paper and put the pieces on the paper you labeled. doesnt do any good if you mix them up somehow though...

whenever i take something with lots of small parts apart, i get coffee filters and put the pieces in them and label the filter. keeps em well labeled and they wont roll away.

randy

Reply to
xrongor