Marking tape removal

What is the best way of removing baked on masking tape?

The tape has been stuck to glass for a year. The tape pulls off but leaves the glue stuck to the glass.

How can I remove the glue without scratching?

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

Sticky stuff remover - available from betterware, I have also seen it in Robert Dyas and Lakeland

Angela

Reply to
Angela

White spirit?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

When all else fails with sticky residues and label glues I find that lighter fluid normally shifts things. May well do the same for masking tape adhesive.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

A bit of white spirit, and a sharp stanley knife blade used with a scraping action (so the blade is almost parallel to the glass surface, like you're shaving).

Reply to
Grunff

Meths.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have found Meths tends not to work.

Use Paraffin to remove the residue, then meths to remove the paraffin .

Reply to
Bob Mannix

WD40 worked fine for me after I'd left masking tape on the front window for too long.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Start with a house brick, then follow up with a new sheet of glass, some putty, and some blue-tinged air.

PoP

PoP

Hmm. I've not had a problem. Perhaps it depends on the type of adhesive.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cant help you with the tape problem but wear heavy mitts and that will prvent damage to your skin when you scratch :-) Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

It will do - on the whole, most tape/lable adhesives fall into two groups; those soluble in non-polar solvents (white spirit/light oils etc), and those soluble in polar solvents (meths, isopropanol etc.).

My strategy is to try a polar solvent, and if it doesn't work try a non polar one.

Reply to
Grunff

Warm soapy water and a cloth.

Reply to
BigWallop

it was some time ago and the tape was on wood, to be fair. I posted the question here having tried meths and someone responded with the paraffin/meths combination which worked a treat.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If the glue was water soluble, wouldn't the rain remove it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If rain contained soap, wouldn't we all be nice and clean?

:-)

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

LOL!

Reply to
S P O N I X

If you think I'm going out in the paddock in a howling gale and driving rain with an air temp just above 0C (so it is rain not snow) with nothing on you can think again!

Of course for you the southern wussies where it never gets below 5C and three wet snow flakes cause traffic chaos things may be different. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice