Photos -- Shopmade Bandsaw Fence

Just finished a bandsaw fence -- rails are oak with heavy duty T-track to which a T-square cross bracket is clamped. The bracket can be angled to compensate for blade drift or set perpendicular to the rails. The bracket holds different fence configurations -- three at the moment -- rip fence, resaw fence, and a curved edge fence for making parallel curved cuts. Most of the hardware and the UHMW plastic piece was purchased at a recent woodworker's show.
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/bandsaw_rails.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/t_square.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/rip_fence.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/resaw_fence.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/curved_edge_fence.jpg
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /

[snip]
Thanks for posting this. I've been pondering whether to buy a fence or build one, and these photos have convinced me to build one, pronto.
CharlesJ -- =======================================================================Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com
Very nice. I've bookmarked the pages reference for when I finally get my bandsaw.
Thanks for posting.

Most
You are really putting the rest of us to shame...
More great ideas from a great shop.
Ken Vaughn wrote:

Nice fence, but the shop is a fake. No one has a shop that is THAT clean.
Looks like a system that can be easily expanded for specialty jigs if need be. Well thought out. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I have received some personal emails requesting information and measurements for the bandsaw fence I posted on "rec.woodworking". The following is a composite reply which I will send to those individuals and also post to the "rec" for those who may be interested -- that way the information will be in the archives.
Plans? -- sorry but I didn't draw any -- its a pretty simple jig -- adjust the size and shape for your bandsaw -- mine is a Jet, which is similar to the Delta 14"
Rails? -- I used some well dried oak that I had around -- any stable hardwood should be fine -- maple would work well. Mine are 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" by 23" long. I cut the dado slot for the T-track pretty tight, and put a few dabs of J.B.Weld metal epoxy on the sides of the T-track before pressing it into the slot. Screws through the bottom of the T-track of course. I also drilled pilot holes from one side of each rail and put four #6 screws into that side such that only the points of the screws cross-pinned the T-track (just to be safe). I mounted my rails flush with the surface of the table -- I considered dropping them down about 1/4" but decided to flush mount which effectively increases the size of the table. On my bandsaw I required 6mm bolts to fit the table's pre-drilled mounting holes.
T-square cross bracket? -- 3/4" Baltic Birch, 3 1/2" by 20 1/4". I drilled the hole for the front knob oversize, and made the hole for the rear knob a slot to allow for setting the cross bracket at an angle when a blade exhibits drift. The front member which bears against the rail is 12" long, but this isn't critical. My fixture knobs use a 3/8" diameter bolt, again not critical. I considered fine sandpaper between the two T-square members, but don't think I will need it. A 3/8" lock bolt and washers joins the two members.
Fence members ? -- 3/4" Baltic Birch 15" to 16" long depending on need for clearance for the cross bracket knobs. The rip fence is 2 1/4" high and was made from some hard maple I had on hand, the resaw fence from 3/4" by 6" by 16" UHMW plastic supported by 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" aluminum angle. The curved fence member was made from walnut -- any hardwood would do. Fixture knobs use a 5/16" bolt, but that is not critical
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /
Hi Ken,
great looking fence, look like it goes on the short list :-) One thing in your description confuses me, you have gone to extreme lengths to insure that the t-track does not separate from the rails but there is very little "up" force put on the fence if the rails are flush with the table. Am I missing something? I have a t-track in my router table and it sits 1/32 low in the table and I have never had any problem with the track lifting.
BRuce
Ken Vaughn wrote:

<BRuce> wrote in message

You are correct in that there should not be much lifting force with the rails mounted flush with the table. When I started to make the rails, I was thinking of dropping them down below the edge of the table, and was concerned about the lifting force. I've been told that I tend to over-engineer.
One of the reasons that I chose to flush mount the rails is that I plan to make a simple sled for slicing small log sections and tree branches in preparation for making turning blanks for my lathe. The rails add an extra 3 inches to the front to back table footprint (several inches left to right) and should help with stability. I have an aggressive cut thicker blade on order from Suffolk Machinery for this purpose.
Ken
ok, I reread your post and then figured you had them made before deciding where to mount. Another case of "just in time" engineering. I have the Jet also so it should not take any time to put one of these together. Delivered my current project today so I should have time in the next 3 weeks to get some of the shop upgrades done.
Let me (us) know how the blade works out and which one it is. I have a lot of small logs that I would like to turn into turnings also.
BRuce
Ken Vaughn wrote:

Well Ken, how does it feel to be a "legend" in your own time ???
Ken Vaughn wrote:

Hi Pat,
At least you didn't say " ... legend in your own mind" <grin>
Jigs seem to be of universal interest to woodworkers. My ISP provides statistics on personal websites (Urchin product) and every month the most visited page by a factor of 2 is my page on shop made jigs. Actually, I added some other new jigs recently, but we will leave that as an exercise for the reader.
Regards, Ken
Ken Vaughn Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /
This is one invitation I seldom turn down.
By the way, nice fence. :-)
UA100

Nice work Ken. I think, I'll do the same too.
Al