Perhaps seperate group for INSPIRATION posts.

Page 1 of 4
There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and most seem to be posted by the same person. The INSPIRATION in the title certaily makes them easy to read/ignore at the readers choice but there are still a lot of them.
Of the ones that I have looked at, most are not my cup of tea but I respect the poster's right to post them as they are certainly on-topic. I am just wondering if it might not be a good idea to setup a seperate group/list for these types of posts (Similar to ABPW for pics).
Thoughts anyone? JOAT, thoughts?
Again, not suggesting NOT to post them but perhaps have a central place to put them as opposed to the larger group.

Yes, and they're all from the same person, with the same word in the subject. Simple to configure to ignore in any good newsreader if that's your preference.

So, let me get this straight. You agree that they're on-topic, you point out that they are consistantly marked, and you want him to go away with them? Wouldn't it be easier to ignore them, either manually or programmatically? If your newsreader doesn't support ignoring any message with a particular word in the headers, or a particular sender, get a better one.

JOAT, if you'd like some webspace to put your links, in addition to posting them here, I'll get you set up.
Dave Hinz

I don't - and perhaps others - don't use a traditional newsreader app but browse via a web browser (groups.google.com). I have seen posts in the past where people comment on the volume of messages and bandwidth concerns so I don't see why this question is so unusual. I am NOT attacking him or his posts simply asking - what I thought - was a reasonable question.

Yes
Yes
NO!!
programmatically? It IS fairly easy to ignore them but I was mearly asking if perhaps we should consider creating a dedicated group/list for them as there are quite a few of them.

And I think the site would get traffic.

So because of your choice of a limited newsreading tool (in this case, web-based), you want him to change how he's doing things, for you.

Seems to me that telling him to go to a different group is equivalent to "go away with them".

This fits any definition of "go away" that I can think of.

Great. And I'm glad he posts them here as well. I'm sorry, but I don't see how your choice of a piss-poor interface to read Usenet should dictate that a useful resource is made less useful for everyone.
Dave, wow - I apologize that I have very clearly offended you on this one. However, I think that you are missing my point. I mean NO ill-will towards him and I am not asking him to change what he does for me (regardelss of my choice of news interface) but decided to post a question to the group for consideration. Again, I mearly asked what I thought was a reasonable question to the broader group. The posts so far have been overwhelmingly in favor of his continuing to post his inspiration messages here. Great, the question I asked appears to have been aswered. As far as my asking HIM to go away - not the case at all. He posts other things besides the inspiration posts to this group just like everyone else does.
And to address your point of "...how your choice of a piss-poor interface to read Usenet should dictate that a useful resource is made less useful for everyone.." - I actually think another newsgroup for THIS TYPE OF POST (not just posts from this person) would make the resource more useful to everyone as it would be more easily searchable etc.

I'm not _offended_, I'm boggled that someone would impose the results of their own poor choice of tools on a group of people.

But the thing you're proposing _is_ that he change what he's doing, and to not post them to the group.

So you just want him to go away with the INSPIRATION posts. Got it.

You can't google for the word INSPIRATION in rec.woodworking at groups.google.com? (hint: yes, you can. Trivially so. Just as it's trivial to ignore messages with that in the subject with any decent newsreader.)
Don't be so hard on Larryfox Dave. I doubt he is out to get your job.
Dave, at this point I think we are arguing semantics instead of substance. Might I suggest that we either aggree to disagree or take the discussion private (email in header is real). I would welcome the opportunity to continue if you like.
I DO know how to use Google, I DO know that there are newsreaders out there that filter, I DO NOT want the inspiration posts to go away entirely I was just inquiring about moving/grouping them is all.

Yes, apparently we have different meanings in mind of how "go away" is or is not the same as "don't do it here". I can't see much point in continuing the conversation either.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And everyone has said (some gently and some harshly): since it is trivial to group them as it is, and to ignore them if they are not of interest, why bother with moving them?

I'm not going to suggest that Joat move his posts because I like reading them. Along the same lines however, it would be nice if there was a central location that one could go to and view them. (Aside from going to google and implementing a specific search parameter)

Dave tends to like to be the one that makes these type suggestions and you apparently beat him to it.
To all the comments "get a normal newsreader", you live in a cloistered, home based world. I travel every week and I'm on hotel and client networks throughout the week. There is NO way to use an offline newsreader in these firewalled, restricted environments. You have to use a web based approach to reading. So what's the big deal?
Well, on days like Monday, when there were 35 (yes 35!) inspiration posts, I had to wade through nine screenfuls of the stuff to find other messages buried in there. Selfish? You bet. I'm not alone. There are thousands of people like me who travel and have limited tools on the road to enjoy the news groups. Its about balance. 35 a day is out of balance.
Bob
On 20 Jan 2005 17:02:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I travel a fair amount and stay in cheesy places like Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express.
I've never had a problem using Agent in any of these places.
Tom,
What source of newsgroups do you subscribe to? Can you get ABPW on the road? I'll look into agent. Many of the networks I am on block the ports used by newsreaders - especially client networks.
Tom,
What source of newsgroups do you subscribe to? Can you get ABPW on the road? I'll look into agent. Many of the networks I am on block the ports used by newsreaders - especially client networks.
On 20 Jan 2005 18:09:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My primary source is uni-berlin. No binaries.
My secondary source is what Comcast provides, which I believe is Giganews. Good retention on binaries.
My tertiary source is TeraNews. Unpredictable service but is free (although I believe they have instituted a low one time fee since I signed on with them).
I've really never had a problem getting through to the Wreck on uni-berlin on the road, although, as you have experienced, there may be a problem with providers who use password protocols that don't get along with the hotel interface. This also happens to me when I try to access Giganews or TeraNews at work.
When this happens I get an error message that I can't defeat.
HTH
Oh, one more thing - I assumed you were using broadband at the hotels. You weren't using dial up by any chance were you? I've never had a problem with dialup to my ISP from anywhere - I just can't stand to use it, especially when some of the hotels charge $1.00 for each phone call. More and more of the hotels are going all wireless. I use earthlink at home and they simply will not allow you to access newsgroups in any manner unless you are on their network - impossible on the road unless you dialup. Ptooey!
Bob
On 20 Jan 2005 18:44:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I carry around an AOL Trial CD as an emergency backup but the places that I stay in are mostly on broadband. Plenty of hotels don't charge for local calls and AOL has that pretty well covered.
Sometimes I carry a Sprint Cellular wireless card that plugs into the PCMCIA slot but the throughput is usually slow.
I have a lot more problem maintaining a connection to our remote ERP interface when I'm on the road than I do with the Wreck. It's Axapta, and if you work for a company that is thinking of using it - tell them not to bother.
Thu, Jan 20, 2005, 5:02pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com claims: <snip> Well, on days like Monday, when there were 35 (yes 35!) inspiration posts, I had to wade through nine screenfuls of the stuff to find other messages buried in there. Selfish? You bet. I'm not alone. There are thousands of people like me who travel and have limited tools on the road to enjoy the news groups. Its about balance. 35 a day is out of balance.
Nine screenfulls? Let's see, 35 posts divided by 9 would be slightly under 4 posts per screen. Small screen? They were not all in one lump sum, there were other posts in between.
Thousands on rec.woodworking? Probably not.
Balance? 35 inspiration posts in one day was a one time deal. Probably. It was a good day. Of course, on a good day, when I was doing a lot of personal searches, I have been know to post about that many free plans in one day. Nothing to bitch about really, in the past we've probably gotten more than that in obscene trolls posts in one day - on many days. I figure my inspirational posts are better than that, any day.
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert