PENN State Industries - DC's Any Good?

Anyone have any experience with PENN State Industries dust collectors?

After doing some searching they have a reasonably priced 2HP 1500 CFM @ 9.5" SP unit with a 1 micron Canister Filter. It is marked down from $499 to $369.

It isn't as beefy as the comporable 2HP Grizzly (G0548) but it sure is a better price.

Mark Brubaker

but never got a response. I was very disappointed by the suction. I measured the amps at 10a. No wonder it was disappointing. (I also measured a Jet and a Kufo; they were as labeled, so it is not my meter or DCs in general...)

Don't know how typical my experience it, but it suggests that they have good prices because their product is substandard.

Reply to
Toller

Toller - Thanks for the input. You usually get what you pay for so I suspected as such. That is why this forum is so valuable.

Reply to
Mark Brubaker

I've used a Penn State DC2000CF for about a couple of years. Everything on the DC went together fine, and I'm pleased with the performance using 5" duct (BIG improvement over my previous 1 HP machine with 4" duct). The quality of the paint and hardware is fairly mediocre, but aside from that I didn't see any reason to spend $150 more for a Jet or Delta.

Reply to
kkfitzge

I've got the same model and have been satisfied with it. My only complaint was in their packaging for shipment: the outlet on top of the blower was misshapen. I just reformed it with a mallet... shouldn't have had to do it but it was easy enough to fix.

I highly recommend getting the optional muffler. I can easily carry on a conversation without shouting when the DC is running. The last thing you ought to consider as a must-have accessory is a remote control for it. The unit I selected came with two remotes so I have one on the table saw; the other on the band saw.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I have the PS 1.5 HP (110v) one in use for 6+ years now. It's been OK - no complaints.

Oh yeah - I remember now. When I first fired her up, the fan blade flew off of the arbor. Hell of a racket. Once I tightened everything up, it was ok.

$200 or so is what I paid. Sucks ok for 1 station at a time - no problems since the first one.

Don't know about the amps.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I have had the same one (discontinued DC-250?) as Lou (with 5 micron bags) about

3-4 years now. Perfect right out of the box. Sucks up planer shavings like mad. Works good on the TS, not so hot on the RAS, but that is my sawdust deflector design problem. I think it would work better with 5" duct than with 4", but have not tried it. Get the Long Ranger remote. You think it is a luxury, but it is not. You'll use it all the time with the remote clipped to your belt.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

So... It didn't suck?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

It has been a year or two since I have checked, but Penn State had consistently won out in reviews for both quietness and efficiency. I have the one with 2.5 hp which is hooked overhead with 4" pvc and 4" flex drops. This is not an efficient way to hook up the dust collector, but it functions extremely well.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I've had a DC2 for about 4 years, and it's never given me trouble. I only use it on the weekends, so I've probably only filled/emptied it 10 times, but I've loved it for all of that time.

I'd buy the same unit again if my shop burned down tonight.

Mark Brubaker wrote:

Reply to
Mike Reed

My PennState 1.5 HP has worked fine for 10 years. But, after one year of use the plastic wheels broke and I replaced them with casters making the unit easy to maneuver. Grizzly DC are excellent too. Both have metal props. Consider 240 volts.

Reply to
Phisherman