Peg Board

This peg board discussion has been interesting but as far as I've noticed no one has mentioned my biggest concern; how do you keep the dust off the "stuff" that's mounted. I keep my tools in drawers rather than exposed. And, yes, I have a 1 1/2 HP dust collector plus 3 shop vacs. Still, a lot of sawdust escapes capture.
Max
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:29:55 -0600, Max wrote:

I don't. I just brush, wipe, or blow it off when I need a seldom used tool. Most of my tools get used often enough that there is little if any dust buildup on them.
I can just see building drawers for all of my clamps :-).

displayed tools. They obsessively polish their tools while doing no actual woodwork. After all, if you don't make any saw dust, it is much easier to keep everything clean.
<grin, duck and run>
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

<grin, duck and run>
I think that deserved a <snerk>
On 3/20/2012 10:09 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

It just looks that way.
If you use your F*e*s*t*o*o*l, you will simply have little to no dust to worry about!
;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

A wise man once said: "There is nothing more expensive than a woman who is 'free for the evening'."
Robert Bonomi wrote:

That's why God gave you two kidneys.

I found that mounting 2" squares of 1/2" plywood behind the pegboard that spaces it off the wall helps. Dust will settle. Where I live, I have to deal with blowing sand, too. A woodshop has lots of tiny particles blowing all around. Every so often, I just take the blower nozzle, or even the leaf blower, and clean it out. You can't keep dust off your stuff. You can just clean it occasionally.
Steve
"Steve B" wrote

Arizona? I have the same problem in El Paso. But my shop, amazingly, is sufficiently "tight" that sand isn't nearly the problem that sawdust is.
Max
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:16:07 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Are you saying that the dust settles *behind* the pegboard? Wouldn't that be a fire hazard?

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 04:12:14 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

For only $473.16, I'll sell you my microvac adapter for your shop vac. It's a tiny sucker!
-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

I guess if you let it build up for sixty or more years, yes, it could. Otherwise, the normal shop guy will go through there with an air blaster at least every two years.
Steve

If you leave the bottom open, dust will be able to drop out naturally and there will never be any build up. There will be some collection, but after a point it won't continue building.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote

I figured I'd leave the bottom open just so spiders, mice, and other vermin could have an easy way to come and go, and not set up housekeeping on a permanent basis.
Steve
On 3/21/2012 10:57 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Well that's good, I still have a few years to go before I clean out behind my peg board...

I assume the guy that installed my pegboard 50 or so years ago also ran a copper grounding wire eliminating the need to dust behind the pegboard...
My Gawd, what are you guys, school teachers or something... sheesh!
--
Jack

That's a messy problem.

Tool cabinets and kitchen-style cabinets here.

A known 'illegal' tool, the dreaded rubber-tipped, non-OSHS air blow gun will work wonders and move dust off the tool into the air.
-- When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire. -- Whoopi Goldberg
On 3/20/2012 10:29 AM, Max wrote:

blow gun. or leaf blower.
--
Steve Barker