PC 895, any good for raised panels in router table?

Hi,
I'm considering purchasing a router for a router table that I'm building. I currently have the PC 690 plunge and fixed base. My first intent is to attempt to make raised panel doors. (I've never used a router in a table, so I don't know what I'm getting into.)
Any advice on whether the PC 895 is a good choice, considering what I already have? Should I be looking at something bigger?
Thanks!
Maybe if your using vertical bits, but for a horizontal type bit, 2 1/4 HP may be on the low-powered side. Tom >Pasquale wrote:

Someday, it'll all be over....

Sure, why not? The requirements for panel raising are that the router have a collet for your bit and that it have speed control. I'm sure that the PC's have 1/2" collets and you can add an external speed control if that router doesn't have it. A more powerful router will be able to raise a panel with fewer passes and/or with less time per pass. Some production shops actually cut a panel with one pass on a big shaper. I'd guess that you'd need 4-5 passes on a 2 HP vs. 3-4 on a 3HP router. So, it's a time vs. cost tradeoff. Unless you're doing a lot of panels, the extra time isn't going to be all that great. Keep in mind that a smaller router will also be more useful out of the table.
Then again, most folks don't come to the Wreck to be told the cheap solution. You definitely need to get a 5HP 3 phase shaper. Matt
Thanks for the responses. I'm not doing any production work, so I definitely have time! I'm really not interested in using it out of the table, since the 690 seems to work good for me. (Although, I wish it had a soft start and variable speed, etc.) I may just look at something a little bigger, if it's not too much more money. Otherwise, I don't mind making an extra pass or two.

If you plan to use a horizontal bit (and there are several reasons why these are better than vertical bits) first be sure that:
1) The opening in the router base is big enough for the bit to pass through (I think that it is on the PC 895) 2) The opening in your router plate is also big enough.
Most full-size horizontal panel cutters are around 3" to 3-1/2" in diameter, and there are many routers that can't handle bits much larger than 2-1/2".
And you REALLY don't want to spin one of those big bits at 20,000+ RPM, so the variable-speed is a must.
Pasquale wrote:

--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

I didn't consider either of these points and was only thinking of horsepower and ease of adjustment while in the table. I will definitely check both things you mention before purchasing.
Thanks again!