Re: m&t chisel- attention charlie self

Charlie,

> > Didn't you have a short piece on sharpening mortise & tenon chisel > sets? Can't find it on your site. Having written that, I'll now go > through a bunch more of my "saves" and probably find it. > > I was looking for it to check my own stuff for a book I'm working > on...IIRC, yours had a way of somplifying the measurement needed on > set-up. > > Cheers, > Charlie Self

I tried sending this message directly to you but the message bounced. So I'll try it this way.

Sorry - wasn't me. I did the Forty Cent Method for setting the gap between the bit and the chisel. That's at

There's a little about tuning them up here, about 1/3rd of the way down (near photos of before and after polishing a chisel) but it's not really a "how to" and I did nothing to the inside of the chisel.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

charlie b responds:

Thanks. Close enough for my needs. I appreciate it.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

On 15 Jan 2004 09:28:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

I think my bit liked more depth to it to be quiet, but I've only used it twice so far. When I get some more energy, I'll finish that carving bench I've been wanting to build forever now.

Yes, the new chisels do need honing badly. What are "we" using for sharpening them nowadays? LVT diamond cones? Since they were inexpensive enough, I picked up a diamond file from Griz but wonder if LVT's 50° cone might be a better idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------ Vote early, Vote often, Vote for Chad!

Comprehensive Website & Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe I'm confusing the inside of the chisel sharpening things - LV and G. Wade - in one of them the diamond sharpeners were in the $50-$70 range - each. Are you referring to corundum cones?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:42:08 -0800, charlie b brought forth from the murky depths:

No, diamond coated cones. 77J81.20 (bottom of the page) at

. They're $6.75 a pair, good up to 1/2".

I got the diamond file from Griz, which will be good to have (Toss a handle on it and use it as a steel in the kitchen?) but probably not as handy as the Lee cones.

the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------
Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques