Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

Thu, Jul 22, 2004, 7:00pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay=A0Pique) admitted: I am, however, a "paid professional"

Paid professional what?

JOAT Every thing that happens stays happened.

- Death waxes philosophical

Reply to
J T

There maybe panel saws on the market that can cut sheet good at an angle, but the one in my local Home Depot only cuts vertical and horizontal. What about diagonal?

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
JGS

currently am using: it is 144" x 25".

Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' " Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Charlie Self

Cooking show (Good Eats -- Recommended) host Alton Brown puts it this way:

"The only single tasker I permit in my kitchen is the fire extinguisher." Instead of a garlic press, he uses a marble scrap he got for free from a tile guy.

Were I making kitchen cabinets for a living, I'd consider the benefits. BUT, for me, the money-space budget simply doesn't justify it.

I setup sheetgoods on horses with a shop-built guide and cut everything to finished size at the top of the project with a circular saw. If it's raining, I might have to rearrange my garage.

Considering it's "Just a circular saw . . " I've done quite a lot of good accurate woodworking with it. Great multitasker for the guy (*WAVES*) for whom dissecting sheet goods on a contractor saw is outside of his comfort/safety zone.

Even if I had a Nahm budget, I'm not sure I'd want one, any more than I think I'd want his dedicated pocket hole machine and resaw bandsaw, though obviously if I'm building hundreds of face frames or working with exotic veneers, that all changes.

*checks to see if SWMBO is reading* *convinced he's alone, starts sketching how to arrange things to fit the panel saw, pocket hole machine, Laguna Megablurfl . . . *
Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Don't you mean "highly comensated professional..."?

And, thanx for reminding me I have a couple avocados waiting to be converted to guacamole.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Oh bull! Everyone knows a fire extinguisher is not a single task device. Hell - it can be used as an excellent rolling pin, and all of us know that it can also be called upon to act as a hammer in a pinch, when you simply must drive that 16D through the cutting board to hold it in place, but can't run out to the garage for the claw hammer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sawdust?

JP

*************** Tooling up.
Reply to
Jay Pique

The pits make excellent ammo for my giant slingshot.

JP

********** Peace through superior firepower.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Ostensibly, a cabinetmaker.

JP

***************** Meliora.
Reply to
Jay Pique

You could make a good pile of excrement.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

That's always my problem. Don't have jointer or planer at this time, so I try to work with s4s, which means I can't afford to make anything bigger than a breadbox. If I could afford the planer and jointer I could buy cheaper rough lumber, but after buying the tools I wouldn't have the dough to buy even rough-sawn. I could always go neander and buy rough and surface it with a hand plane, but with the amount of shop time I usually get that would mean I can only finish one project a decade instead of my current one every 5 years....

Life is hard.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Curious fire extinguisher incident. Back in about 1978-79 my father was working at a shipyard scrapping out old Liberty ships. The crane operator tried too heavy a lift and started to tip, so he tripped the load. The crane (large crawler) whipped back and forth a few times then hopped off the 12x12 wood (OWWR) tracks it sat on and dropped to the concrete pier. The fire extinguisher (metal cased dry chemical type) dropped out of the cab as it was swaying and fell just ahead of the crane, which then landed on top of the fire extinguisher. He later showed me where the fire extinguisher was driven into the concrete of the pier *without bursting* by the weight of the crane. Impressed the heck out of me both the weight of the crane and how much pressure the extinguisher took.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Of couse the classic use for a CO2 extinguisher is as a "thermostat security enclosure override device"

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Well, I don't have any free wall space....

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'm really quite surprised, having expanded the topic to common usages of CO2 fire extinguishers, that nobody has picked up on it's most common use. Doesn't everybody use it to chase the wife around the house with short little spurts? It raises foreplay to entire new levels. Note of caution - do not let he point it at you. You think a cold shower has a profound effect...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You can use a Kitchen Router for that. It also makes nice flutings for watermelon boats.

Reply to
WoodChuck34

Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 12:10pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay=A0Pique) claims: Ostensibly, a cabinetmaker.

"Ostensibly" - Interesting word choice.

JOAT Every thing that happens stays happened.

- Death waxes philosophical

Reply to
J T

I made one with sliding door hardware for the rails. Works perfectly, accurate within 1/32". Prefer table saw for everything but cross cutting sheet goods. Takes up very little room, plus I put it on castors to move around the shop.

mike

Reply to
mike

Accurate, though. I'm a paid employee of a cabinetmaker, and I do pretty much everything involved in the construction of cabinetry. Am I a "master"? Not yet. Will I be? That's certainly my goal.

Right now I'm just trying to soak up as much as I can from my current employer - a lot of which includes learning what *not* to do, IMO. It's frustrating at times, but I feel like I'm headed in the right direction. Between books and the internet I think I'm learning fairly quickly.

I'm also paying my way to the IWF in Atlanta next month, and while there I hope to meet with a number of larger shop owners. Ideally I'd find myself a new job, but I think it will be worthwhile no matter the outcome. I can't wait to check out all of the production shop equipment. My dream is to run an extremely well tooled and efficiently run 2 man shop - just me and an apprentice. To start I'll focus exclusively on built in cabinetry, and take great pains to streamline the process as much as I can. We'll see.

JP

******************* Any other wreckers going to ATL?
Reply to
Jay Pique