Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

Page 2 of 4
Wes Stewart wrote:

Avacados (a vaca dos): To two cows? Avacados number ::= 2
(-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

The pits make excellent ammo for my giant slingshot.
JP ********** Peace through superior firepower.
Add pictures here
✖

You could make a good pile of excrement.
Wayne
Add pictures here
✖
Thu, Jul 22, 2004, 7:00pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay Pique) admitted: <snip> I am, however, a "paid professional" <snip> Paid professional what?
JOAT Every thing that happens stays happened. - Death waxes philosophical
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:48:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Ostensibly, a cabinetmaker.
JP ***************** Meliora.
Add pictures here
✖
Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 12:10pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay Pique) claims: Ostensibly, a cabinetmaker.
"Ostensibly" - Interesting word choice.
JOAT Every thing that happens stays happened. - Death waxes philosophical
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:20:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Accurate, though. I'm a paid employee of a cabinetmaker, and I do pretty much everything involved in the construction of cabinetry. Am I a "master"? Not yet. Will I be? That's certainly my goal.
Right now I'm just trying to soak up as much as I can from my current employer - a lot of which includes learning what *not* to do, IMO. It's frustrating at times, but I feel like I'm headed in the right direction. Between books and the internet I think I'm learning fairly quickly.
I'm also paying my way to the IWF in Atlanta next month, and while there I hope to meet with a number of larger shop owners. Ideally I'd find myself a new job, but I think it will be worthwhile no matter the outcome. I can't wait to check out all of the production shop equipment. My dream is to run an extremely well tooled and efficiently run 2 man shop - just me and an apprentice. To start I'll focus exclusively on built in cabinetry, and take great pains to streamline the process as much as I can. We'll see.
JP ******************* Any other wreckers going to ATL?
Add pictures here
✖
Don't you mean "highly comensated professional..."?
And, thanx for reminding me I have a couple avocados waiting to be converted to guacamole.
Renata

✖

You can use a Kitchen Router for that. It also makes nice flutings for watermelon boats.
Add pictures here
✖
I'll have to see what kinda bit I can use in that there kitchen router to make it "artisitic".
Speaking of... This weekend I used my handy Milwaukee cordless sawzall to cut thru a roll of (basement) carpet (12' wide, but only for a length of ~4'; then the other 14'+ needed to only be ~8' wide). Worked like a charm, though we went back with scissors to trim the few random "strings"!
Renata
On 23 Jul 2004 12:20:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (WoodChuck34) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Because not everyone has the money. hehe.
Also the panel saw is awesome but it is limited in its function so not everyone has the need of a specialty tool.
Never used a sliding table saw so dont know if its better or not. I would love to have the sliding table saw to try it out.
Rich
Add pictures here
✖
I am curious as to what you mean by "limited in it function"? I have two in the shop one is unable to use dado blades and the other one is dado capable. Other than this fact what is limited about these saws? As compared to any decent cabinetmaking saw??? I find them to be far more useful and productive than a regular table saw.
Chris

Add pictures here
✖
I'm also wondering about all the "no money, no space" justifications. I have a 9x19 shop with no table saw. The bandsaw is my primary saw. I was considering building a panel saw and mounting it on the wall. It seems me that would be relatively inexpensive and wouldn't take up that much room mounted on the wall. Am I missing something?
Mark

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:54:20 GMT, "Mark Wells"

in use (if you use them for ripping) they take up *16 feet* of wall. I can set up 3 pretty good sized machines in that space...
Add pictures here
✖
Bridger responds:

It will also tilt out a couple feet and is easier to use if you've got another few inches shoulder clearance to muscle the boards up to it.
I've got a 25' x 48' shop, and couldn't find space for one if I tried. Besides, I'll be ripping a lot of 6-8" tulip poplar down to face frame width this weekend, so I don't really see the benefit for me. I do cut some panels, maybe about 10 a year. To pay $1000 and more for a machine that is necessary that few times drives me right over to my circular saw and straight edge.
Someone noted he had two panel saws, one fitted for regular cutting, one for dados. Sounds like fun, but his shop must be the size of a blimp hanger. I'm not at all sure, either, how large a dado set one of them would swing, nor how will it does tilted, nor how well a molding head would fit, nor...just a whole bunch of things. Can you do a stopped dado? And on from there.
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' " Garrison Keillor
Add pictures here
✖
On 23 Jul 2004 08:26:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

panel routers used to be just the ticket for that kind of application. CNC has now made them all but obsolete.

Add pictures here
✖

Well, I don't have any free wall space....
scott

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:54:20 GMT, "Mark Wells"

PMFJI Glad you mentioned this. I was wo0ndering about these and how good they are.
Anyone built/used one and have any opinions? Cutting panels seems to be the biggest bug these days for saws generally.
I actually think that the panel saws being referred to are the large horizontal machines, niot these wall ones. They are very expensive and take up huge space. ***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Add pictures here
✖
vaguely proposed a theory

Here's a plan: http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/panelcutguide.html
Add pictures here
✖

For all the benefits a panel saw might supply, I have yet to see an affordable one or a build-your-own model that can cut diagonals. Same for mitres? There must other cuts that a panel saw can't do that a table saw can. I suppose one could work around it by clamping sheet goods on an angle, but it would be a pain to readjust for incremental cuts to sneak up on a cutting line and pretty well impossible for cutting a 90° slice off the middle of a 4'x8' sheet.
And yes, you can add a chop saw or something similar to do things like mitres, but doesn't that defeat some of the biggest proponents for a panel saw, the saving of space and money?
Add pictures here
✖