Idiot move of the day

If you buy an Incra mitre system there is a section in the manual that tells you to check your blade clearance when making angle adjustments due to the fact that the fence may contact the blade after adjusting. They're right.... 'sigh'

Yours truly,

Dolt

Reply to
Paul in MN

at least aluminum cuts easily. :) I ran a router bit into my Incra Twin Linear. Cost me about $35 bucks, IIRC, to get

2 new fence pieces.

dave

Paul > If you buy an Incra mitre system there is a section in the manual that

Reply to
David

We all do that kind of stuff. Earlier this week, I was in a rush and didn't want to clear off my wood bench to cut the end off a board. I used the extension table of my Unisaw instead and managed to cut a little slice into that square tubing that the Bies locks to. The carbide blade of the Dewalt circular saw didn't show any damage, however.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Whew. Lucky for you!

hehe.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Ever work out of the back of a pickup truck? I've been told that a carbide blade will slice through the tailgate real well, though it does make sparks...

Then there's the guy who sawed his black & decker workmate in half.

On a more sobering note, a fellow once advised me to be careful when using a circular saw then then showed me that the first three fingers on his left hand were all the same length.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

At least I've gotten away cheap.

I like to use luan door slabs as portable work tables. They're light and set up quickly on a pair of saw horses.

They're also good for no more than a few months before I forget to check blade depth on my circular saw and plow right through the door.

I have to admit to a few scars on the tops of the horses too.

Reply to
JR-jred

Does the manual warn against forgetting that a dado blade is wider than a standard blade, so you should move the fence to compensate? Not that it's ever been an issue with me--just checking.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Thats it! I'm starting a petition to mandate that congress require all circular saws to have Saw Stop technology!

:)

Jay

Reply to
Jay

A CMS will do "similar" things to one of those snazzy "add on" fences..... oooooooh the pain when you look down.

Paul > If you buy an Incra mitre system there is a section in the manual that

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Paul in MN

Then why did my husband make me feel lower than dirt when I did something very similar? Of course he claimed it also bent his WWII blade (which I have some difficulty believing) and chipped a carbide tooth or two. I didn't know aluminum was THAT hard to cut, especially when there was just a tiny nick out of the fence. That didn't need replacing.

Made me want to never touch his workshop again.. He'd probably happier if I didn't , too.

Indyrose

Reply to
Indyrose

I agree with you that it's pretty unlikely the blade was damaged by contact with aluminium!

dave

Reply to
David

Since you decided to make a private spat public, you get to read my response in public too. :-)

I said the blade was not bent before you used it to cut used, dirty 2x4s [it wasn't], and that it was bent afterwards [it is]. I never claimed that running it into the aluminum jig bent it.

One tooth.

I said the tooth was not chipped before you used it to cut used, dirty 2x4s [it wasn't], and that it was chipped afterwards [it is]. I never claimed that running it into the aluminum jig chipped it.

No, but it did need some filing and sanding to remove some nasty sharp edges, didn't it?

You took the wrong lesson out of the experience. The *right* lessons to take out of the experience are:

1) Lock the miter gauge on zero before you use it. 2) Verify that the gauge clears the blade *before* applying power. 3) Change to a cheap blade before cutting used construction lumber. 4) Use the factory miter gauge when high precision is not needed.

Doug Miller

At times I think they intentionally miss the point.

This is a hard point to miss.

Reply to
Mark

OK - I admit it. But only made a nick in the fence. Glad it was al.

Reply to
igor

On a different subject, my daughter is a nurse in the ER in Naples FL.

Last week a guy came in who lost three fingers in a table saw accident. The doctors were unable to reattach them because he had sawed the same three fingers off on the same table saw a few years before. They had successfully reattached then, but now they were too mangled this time to try to reattach them.

You gotta watch those spinning sharpie things.

Reply to
Bill Reynolds

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:52:56 -0400, Bill Reynolds calmly ranted:

Well, at least he can still VOTE.

- The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier. ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The problem is, he can still REPRODUCE.

Reply to
Armando

Creating a consistent product is half the battle with woodworking... ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin