Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

Why doesn't everyone just get a panel saw for cutting large sheet goods? Seems like a much better option than even a sliding table saw.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Reason #1) No dollars. Reason #2) No space.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

yup that's about the list

Reply to
mindesign

And if I might add to the list, the dollars it would take to buy one would take away from the dollars to buy a stroke sander and the space it would take up would take space away from the space where'd I'd be keeping my stroke sander.

UA100, who'd much rather have a stroke sander any day...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

A, good ones are expensive

B, they take up space better used in other ways

C, Might be a good investment if all you ever cut is sheet goods but.....................

D, see C

Reply to
MikeG

Just how much moola you got to throw at this hobby?

Reply to
patrick conroy

Because not everyone has the money. hehe.

Also the panel saw is awesome but it is limited in its function so not everyone has the need of a specialty tool.

Never used a sliding table saw so dont know if its better or not. I would love to have the sliding table saw to try it out.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Ooooh yeah - I've simply GOT to get one of those as well. Maybe I'd better add another thousand feet to my fictitious shop so I can properly house my imaginary panel saw and stroke sander.

JP

******************** What budget?
Reply to
Jay Pique

Let's see...gross income less FICA plus illegal gambling gains less social security plus change stolen from neighbors couch divided by avacados number equals right around "zero". I am, however, a "paid professional", whatever that means.

JP

************* Learning.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Yeah, but are you actually going to _make_ anything ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Maybe not, but it's nice to know I *could*!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I am curious as to what you mean by "limited in it function"? I have two in the shop one is unable to use dado blades and the other one is dado capable. Other than this fact what is limited about these saws? As compared to any decent cabinetmaking saw??? I find them to be far more useful and productive than a regular table saw.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Melanson

That's been my theory all along. Who the hell can afford wood after buying all this stuff?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

|On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:19:52 GMT, "patrick conroy" | wrote: | |>

|>> Why doesn't everyone just get a panel saw for cutting large sheet |>> goods? Seems like a much better option than even a sliding table saw. |>

|>It prolly is. |>Just how much moola you got to throw at this hobby? | |Let's see...gross income less FICA plus illegal gambling gains less |social security plus change stolen from neighbors couch divided by |avacados number equals right around "zero". I am, however, a "paid |professional", whatever that means.

I'm confused. Do you mean "Avogadro's number" (6.02*10^23) or "avocado"?

Which brings up the question, can you make anything out of avocado (persea) other than guacamole? [g]

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Avacados (a vaca dos): To two cows? Avacados number ::= 2

(-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I saw a good one go at auction for $100. I wanted it so badly, but then reason #2 kicked in.

Reply to
toller

I'm also wondering about all the "no money, no space" justifications. I have a 9x19 shop with no table saw. The bandsaw is my primary saw. I was considering building a panel saw and mounting it on the wall. It seems me that would be relatively inexpensive and wouldn't take up that much room mounted on the wall. Am I missing something?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

in use (if you use them for ripping) they take up *16 feet* of wall. I can set up 3 pretty good sized machines in that space...

Reply to
bridger

Bridger responds:

It will also tilt out a couple feet and is easier to use if you've got another few inches shoulder clearance to muscle the boards up to it.

I've got a 25' x 48' shop, and couldn't find space for one if I tried. Besides, I'll be ripping a lot of 6-8" tulip poplar down to face frame width this weekend, so I don't really see the benefit for me. I do cut some panels, maybe about 10 a year. To pay $1000 and more for a machine that is necessary that few times drives me right over to my circular saw and straight edge.

Someone noted he had two panel saws, one fitted for regular cutting, one for dados. Sounds like fun, but his shop must be the size of a blimp hanger. I'm not at all sure, either, how large a dado set one of them would swing, nor how will it does tilted, nor how well a molding head would fit, nor...just a whole bunch of things. Can you do a stopped dado? And on from there.

Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' " Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yeah. I thought so too, but my shop is narrow and long, and cutting sheet goods horizontally was an exercise in contortionism. A few times I'd lay the panels down out in the back yard and hack them up with Pennstate's saw guide, but I got tired of shoveling snow out of a section of the outdoor 'annex', or cleaning mud of of everything. I saved up for a panel saw over a few years and don't ever regret buying it. When it stands against the wall it only takes up about a foot of floor space.

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--