Panasonic - poor customer service.

Short version: Panasonic customer service is bad, and I may be screwed out of a free

12v drill body I was supposed to receive as a promotion when I bought an impact driver.

Long version: December of '05 I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade my cordless drill situation. I'd been eyeballing the Panasonic Digital Impact Driver for a while, and finally sprang for it while they were having a promotion for a free 12v drill body. I sent in the rebate form in early January and haven't yet heard or seen a thing from Panasonic.

In mid-February I filled out an online form at their website asking them when I could expect my drill. No response.

A week or two later contacted someone who told me to call someone else, where I heard a recording to try checkmyrebate.com. I don't think I was able to get anyone on the line at the second number. IAE, checkmyrebate.com didn't help, it didn't recognize my shipping info or my email address.

So I called the first or second number again and a lady said to call their rebate center in Tennessee. It was here that a woman told me that no longer handles Panasonic rebates. I did some googling and finally found the lucky number...

Called the number (some Panasonic office in Washington) and a woman said I'd have to wait the full 10 weeks before I could open a "rebate status request form". So I waited.

Just got off the phone with them again, and they said they'd "have someone look into it" and that they'd call me if they had questions. I'm calling back to get someone else on the line right now.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I had a problem with a different type of merchant before and wrote a "30 day demand letter" and the problem was resolved almost instantly.

only costs 5 minutes and 39 cents to try it.

Reply to
RayV

I think I will. Thanks.

JP

********************************************** Further bulletins as events warrant.
Reply to
Jay Pique

- you might find this interesting...about who is responsible when rebates go awry.

dave

Reply to
David

I find that being a continuous but not overly squeaky wheel works.

Reply to
Leon

I had a similar problem with Best Buy. A router I bought had two rebates, one mail in and one online. Sent both in 2 December 05. On 2 Jan I got an email that my rebate was on the way (online one). So far have seen nothing of either.

I have about decided that rebates are a ripoff marketing scheme. If they want to give me a discount they can give it at the time of the sale.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Since I started sending all rebate forms by registered mail, I have not missed one. Before that, my forms often got "lost in the mail" YMMV.

Reply to
gw

Just FYI, this demand method is only valid for residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, mileage in your state, or Canadian Province, will vary GREATLY!

I did a quick check and couldn't find any Panasonic presence in the Commonwealth (doesn't mean there isn't any but is one of the requirements of Chapter 93A of Mass General Laws (MGL).

No matter where you live you should visit your state's Attorney General (Consumer Division) web site to see which, if any, statutes are available to you. If you don't see anything that fits you can always send a letter (informative, not threading) stating that you will be perusing small claims action which you can do yourself and get a judgment which you may, or may not, be able to enforce depending if the company has any assets located in your state. Just because a company does business in your state (unless it is a regulated business) doesn't mean they have assets at risk to you to be able to attach if you win a judgment.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

I had some good luck with HP and the BBB. They didn't like being reported to the BBBonline one little bit.

Pop

Reply to
PopS

Reply to
Gene T

Some rebate processing companies are now refusing certified mail. Says so right on the form.

I have done a ton of rebates recently via 1st class mail and received all of them.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I sent an email to fulfillment, etc., and I also called the 800 number. I'm going to enjoy my stay in Minnesota (recovering from lasik done this a.m.) and worry about it next week. Wish me luck! JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I got a call from Panasonic. They are waiting for a shipment of drill bodies to arrive. Not sure when they're going to get here though. Well, at least I'm on the list.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique