Oval picture frame

Page 1 of 3
I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a frame. I can draw the oval
As I see it there would be two parts in cutting the oval. ----- The oval cut that would eventually frame the picture. ----- The rabbet cut to hold the picture.
I have the following tools available to me:
1. Table saw (I have no idea how this could be used) 2. Standard size non plunge router with router table. 3. Dremmel with spiral cut bit and other router bits. 4. Jig saw. 5. Drill press with brad point and Forstner bits.
Can I get suggestions making the cutout for the picture.
Finishing the outside edges is obvious.
On 3/29/2010 12:08 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

More Information:
Major axis length (longest "diameter") Minor axis length (shortest "diameter") Stock thickness.
One more tool:
Analytic Geometry :)
Let 2a = major axis let 2b = minor axis
There will be two foci (on the major axis)
The distance from the center to either focus is sqrt(a^2 - b^2)
The equation, if you want to plot an ellipse is
x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1
Or, if you want to construct an ellipse:
push a pin into each of the foci tie a string to each pin so that if you pull the string taut with a pencil point, the pencil point will just touch a point at a distance b from the center on the perpendicular bisector of a line between the two foci.
It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is :)
Once you've drawn it, you can freehand rout the opening - and can then use a rabbet bit to cut for the glass and photo.
FWIW - this project begs for a spindle sander. ;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 3/29/2010 1:20 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

I'm such a dumb redneck. I probably would have just traced the picture. Then told the wife I need a bandsaw and a spindle sander. :)
LdB
On 3/30/2010 12:55 PM, LdB wrote:

Be a _smart_ redneck - tell 'er you need a CNC router and /maybe/ a bandsaw and a spindle sander after that. :-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

You also need a welder and file set to make the cut with a bandsaw and not cut through the frame. Oh, and something to cut the bandsaw blade again after it's done.
Puckdropper

Morris Dovey wrote:

I detested that class.
Prof was a Yugoslav, didn't have a great command of English. He had been a partisan and his throat had been cut ear to ear; no idea if that affected his speech but he was next to impossible to understand. It was the only class I *ever* had to repeat.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 3/30/2010 3:40 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Bummer. I can sympathize because my freshman physics class was a Korean who had a similar handicap, and who made up for it by screaming his lectures. I dropped the course after a week and restarted the following quarter with a different prof, along with all the folks who'd stuck it out and failed the course.
The guy who taught my Calculus and Analytic Geometry class, by contrast, was clear, soft-spoken, and wrote everything on the blackboard as he lectured. He wrote with his right hand and erased with his left as he went, with pauses as he walked back to the left side of the board. It would have been humorous if I hadn't been in a permanent panic to get things into my notes before they disappeared. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 3/30/2010 3:13 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Just having the youngest out of college, I know that taking notes in class today can be as simple as hitting a button and letting the recording device/laptop tape the lecture.
I can't help but think that letting technology do it for you probably skips a vital link in the synapses that the process of writing it down completes. I was thinking about that the other day when responding to the thread on width, length, etc.
Botany prof drew pictures of plant cell structures on a blackboard and students were required to handcopy them to a notebook that was part of the course grade ....and today, 45 years later, those pictures I copied from that blackboard are still vivid in my mind.
Also had a Korean grad student that taught an advanced math course full of words like 'vector-value', 'differential', etc. that he couldn't pronounce in an understandable manner to anyone ... a brilliant guy, but he cost most of us a grade point or two.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 3/30/2010 4:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

One of the best teachers I ever had was my analytical geometry teacher in high school. I had many more in college but he was the best.
As for technology in the class room while there are negatives, there are all so some strong positives. If I have a computer in physical chemistry I may have a better understanding of how the various equation performed.
Of course you go to school to learn what you do not know, and to learn to learn.
On 3/30/2010 4:07 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I had a computer ... "me", with a slide rule. :)

Well said ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

They're becoming forgotten. Slide rules put man on the moon. Back in HS and college, the classes like Physics and Chem had a half bushel basket by the door with school slide rules for the kids without their own.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
On 3/30/2010 5:01 PM, Nonny wrote:

Same mathematical functions as a computer, but these days the computer is _much_ faster.
That wasn't always the case, even with electronic digital computers.
When I was in the Army we routinely beat "Freddie" FADAC (Field Artillery Digital Automatic Computer) with our slide rules in the Fire Direction Centers ... in combat we seldom used "Freddie" to actually fire missions, just to check our slide rule results, if we didn't have to wait on it.
It wasn't a matter of arithmetic trust, FADAC was just too damn slow.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

Reminds me of my state PE exams.
Knew they gave a lot of partial credit and you needed an 80 to pass.
During a 2 day exam, never completely solved a math question.
Posted a note at the top of every answer sheet that went something like this:
* = Plug in values and turn crank.
Would set up the equations to solve a problem, then it was "*" time.
I passed the exams.
After all, I wasn't there to take a slide rule exam, but rather engineering exams.
One guy, an older gentleman, pulled out his drafting board, some triangles, a scale and provided graphical solutions.
Have no idea if he passed the exams.
Back then, computers were big clunkers that were kept in huge air-conditioned rooms.
Lew
On 3/30/2010 6:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

And it was inconcievable to those who ran them that micros were ever going to achieve that kind of performance. Now we bitch about how slow our machine is when it is several times faster than an '80s supercomputer.

Wow, that sounds a lot like my experience with the old Curta calculator. IT got me through the exams just fine.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
On 3/30/2010 6:01 PM, Nonny wrote:

When I was in High School in the late 50's I paid 25 dollars for a cheap slide rule. There was no way I could have afforded the expensive ones.
Today when you go to flea markets or antique stores you can pick up the most expensive for 5 or 10 dollars/ with case.
My favorite slide rule was the circular slide rule. For some spectra conversion in IR or UV you could make the calculation on the circular slide rule faster that any calculator today.
"Keith Nuttle" wrote:

My Post, log-log-desi-trig complete with carrying case was less than $15 when I got it while still in high school.
Had several inverse as well as folded scales which allowed you to fly thru the calculations.
Never did figure out how to use the "pencil & eraser" functioin.<G>
Still have that little beauty someplace.
Lew
On 3/30/2010 7:15 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Got one of my Dad's cast off K&E's in HS, but don't remember the model. You're right, I think I paid $20+ for the one I used in college, but damn that was expensive!
... that's back when I routinely found it necessary to cash bank "counter drafts" (remember those?) for 50 cents at the student center two or three times a week.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

I got mine about the same time as I got a hell of a big raise.
Minimum wage went from $0.50/hour to $0.75/hour.
Damn, I was in the high cotton.
Lew
On 3/30/2010 8:16 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

$4/day ... worked 7 days a week and didn't know what to do with all that money!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08