Haunted picture frame

The wife had a large picture framed, brought home and hung on the wall. Now at times, when it is quiet, I'm sitting there reading and It starts a click, click, click sound with a few seconds between clicks. WTF? I don't believe in the boogey man and my house didn't make settling sounds before. Do pictures settle? S

Reply to
Snidely

Could be some expansion and/or contraction going on. Could take a day or two to reach equilibrium with the room. Is there a glass or canvas that is tight fitting?

Could be haunted though. I have a framed mirror that scares the hell out of me every time I look into it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Disassemble the picture from frame and check for insects that might be making the sound, trapped somehow. Sometimes things are that simple.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I second the insect idea, but I doubt if disassembling it will let you find them.

Maybe 50 years ago my mom bought a piece of imported asian furniture which made clicking sounds like that. After several months we found a small amount of fine sawdust on the floor in front of it. Tracing up from the sawdust we saw a hole maybe 3/32" diameter, but no sign of the bug. We never heard from it again.

The hole got filled with one of those nail hole filling crayons.

You might try calling an exterminator and seeing if they offer a process, like putting the piece in a gas chamber, which can kill bugs inside the wood.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Throw out that piece of junk.

Reply to
Mean1

I have one of those mirrors as well : )

Thanks for all the help. After the talk of bugs, I went over and listened when it started clicking. Could not locate, sounds like it comes off the front glass which is actually plastic. When I push on the front gently, I can make the same clicks. I guess it expands and contracts making the sounds. Thanks

Reply to
Snidely

Snidely:

S > The wife had a large picture framed, brought home and hung on the wall. Now S > at times, when it is quiet, I'm sitting there reading and It starts a click

S > click, click sound with a few seconds between clicks. WTF? I don't believe S > in the boogey man and my house didn't make settling sounds before. Do S > pictures settle?

Is the picture hung properly? If hung from the top of the frame it may be settling due to the weight. If hung by wire or string connected to the sides then might be trying to maintain equilibrium as someone else mentioned.

  • Don't put down crackpots: they are wiser than they think.
Reply to
barry martin