OVAL PICTURE FRAME

'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T

RicodJour

For those who don't know how to draw an oval to set dimensions, it is very worthy. I'm constantly amazed by those in the group who do not know stuff which I take for granted, or seems so easy it's obvious. Occasionally I kick myself around the block "when somebody posts a simple solution to a problem" which I reckon I should have been able to work out. People tackling problems from different angles and perspectives is what it's all about. I'm sure that someone will see this job and thoroughly enjoy making it. Just my 2 bob's worth. John

Reply to
John B

Wed, Mar 1, 2006, 8:22pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth burble: What about that project is worthy of posting?

Upon contemplation, perhaps you are correct. So, in it's place, I submit this project, as being more worthy of your talents. Enjoy, and be sure to post a picture of your efforts on A.B.P.W.

JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T

What prompted you to post that oval picture frame project? Is it something you made? Is that something you wrote up for them? Is it something you admire?

That particular project is at least 30 years old (age doesn't improve everything), is a bad picture of a mediocre project, and is awkward from an esthetic point of view.

Notice how the sides of the oval look thinner than the top and bottom? it's an illusion, but it's an illusion that everyone sees. Take a look at this project:

's not an award winning project either, but at least it has some more graceful lines and accounts for the apparent disparity in frame thickness by accentuating the ends.

So...what prompted you to post that project?

RicodJour

Thu, Mar 2, 2006, 7:53am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth query: So...what prompted you to post that project?

Same thing that prompted me to post the others I've posted - side-effect. Then there's kama, etc. Finally, why not?

It's also free.

JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T

Free is good - useful and interesting is better. Here's the Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" button result for a search - oval wood frame layout.

's free, too. The article is better written (what's with all of the 20 links in that Shopsmith link article leading to the same flipping two figures?!), the pictures are much clearer, it shows in detail all of the steps for laying out the oval and the project is much more interesting.

I guess whatever floats your boat is fine, but the Shopsmith project and link should be allowed to die its inevitable slow death undisturbed.

RicodJour

That's for sure. I don't even glance at JTs endless useless [e.g. popsicle sticks] sites any more. We must have a different sense of humour.

An oval is simple to construct by hand, and the other images shown are just two offset ovals, one inside the other. All you need is some squared paper, and the max-min dimensions of each oval.

Reply to
Guess who

I use this. It meets all my oval needs :)

Jimmy

and it's tough to get the true length when wrapping around two pins. I use two concentric circles, straight edge, then join the dots. ...only a quarter to be exact, since it can be flipped for the rest of the ellipse.

Reply to
Guess who

The Guess who entity posted thusly:

How do you get an ellipse from the materials you mention? I've made many an ellipse using the string method. You need to be a bit careful to not stretch the string. If I needed a particular sized ellipse, I'd be tempted to use a plot from my computer.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Thu, Mar 2, 2006, 9:55am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth proclaim: Free is good - useful and interesting is better. Here's the Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" button result

Ah, I see you have missed the point. Totally. Many people do. No matter, you can have what you want.

Accordingly, you are now the official free plans poster to rec.woodworking. We are expecting a lot of plans postings from you. And, no duplication of any plans I've previously posted. Live well, and post plans often.

JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Mar 2, 2006, 1:26pm snipped-for-privacy@here.com (Guess=A0who) doth sayeth: That's for sure. I don't even glance at JTs endless useless [e.g. popsicle sticks] sites any more. We must have a different sense of humour.

That's one of the reasons my plans posts always have the subjects in caps. That way you can easily ignore them if you want. No prob.

JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T

No problem at all, but with all that time on your hands, why not look for something actually useful? I mean that in a good way. It *could* be a useful resource if you put your mind to it, and you'd be providing a service instead of an off-tilt humour. At least the present postings take away bandwidth from the multiple nuts who post totally OT. They're getting to be downright scary. I'm thinking the institutions have been given a grant to supply the inmates with computers. Sort of LNAB as technology advances.

Reply to
Guess who

> That's free, too. The article is better written (what's with all of

Don't mind JOAT, he's just another curmudgeon. He's giving some other guy grief about asking for info on fluting jigs right now, apparently upset at the wasted bandwidth or something. Then he goes and posts multitudes of links to useless, tasteless crap like the aforementioned "oval picture frame". Indeed, if someone were so inclined to be looking for plans to an "oval picture frame" it could be easily googled. Strange how he'd give someone actually LOOKING for something a hard time, and then feel good about cluttering up the group with crap like this.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

The point is that you feel like posting whatever crappy links you want and you'll defend your right to do so. Great. But don't get mad when people give you heat - just as you give people heat when they post stuff that_you_don't find interesting or new - like the fluting jig guy.

Heh. You sound like a little kid that didn't get his way.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Thanks for trying to volunteer my time, but that's a one man job and I currently occupy the position.

You missed my point. I don't care if it's woodworking, flames, jokes or whatever - all I'd request is some quality. If the post was done as a public service, it was public, but not a service because the quality of that link was so low. If that link to the oval frame in question you posted indicates your sense of humor...well, you're easily amused.

RicodJour

Well, one man's garbage might be another man 's treasures (garage sales et al), but at least his posts are obvious to the reader after seeing a couple of them, so they're easier to bypass if you want to. Just like no one makes you read them, no one is forcing anyone to click on the links, either, nor is anyone forcing the readers to critique that quality of the links.

Sometimes I do wonder about -why- he posts them, but ... it doesn't bother me. I've even put quite a few on those post results on paper because they lead either to a decently useful item for me, or can be adapted to something I might like to try out for grins. I'm an old dog, but I'm still willing to learn some new tricks to see if they're any better than the old ones.

Raking and kanering someone though; that's just not worth any thinking person's time or effort. It shows unhealthy tendencies in some cases, no matter who does it, or how they do it. Yup, I do that myself, matter of fact; never said I was perfect. But as a rule I'll only jump in with snide remarks if i see misinformation of think the poster needs a dose of its own medicine. After that though, I don't prolong it; I move on to better things.

So: If you don't like someone's posts, ignore them. If you're just going to bitch, go away and try to get a life before you come back.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Yes, I agree. I was trying to make a point.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Do they have to come back with a life or is the trying enough? ;)

RicodJour