others with a PRL

hey all

Just got my PRL and PC 7518 router out of the box they have been hiding in for the last 4 months. I am finally starting to build a table to go around them.

I went to assemble the 7518 to the PRL and per the instructions set the height (depth?) of the PRL to the 5-6" and then clamped in the router. So far so good. I notice that the PRL clamp has slots for the nubbies (keys ?) on the shaft of the router but when I mounted the router as per the instruction and per the pics on the instructions the nubbies were not within the grasp of the clamp-- they are between the clamp and the plate of the PRL

So now the question. The router is being held by the force of the clamp alone -- which seems good enough. Should I be overly concerned that the nubbies are not in the clamp ? Since I bought the 7518 for use only in a table I did not buy a base for it. Can I assume that the nubbies are similar to those on my 691 and that they are there for alignment more than anything ?

just curious -- hate to have the beast get loose on me

Reply to
eric

I'm fairly certain that you might force the "nibbies" into the motor if they were in the clamp but I'm too lazy to go down and pull mine apart to confirm this.

Think of them as threads. like on a screw.

Believe me, nothing is going anywhere unless you forget to tighten things down.

UA100, who has a sneak peek of his "An Ultimate Router Table" (The Tom Watson Model/before the paint) at

Unisaw A100

Mine are also past the nubbie-slots. It's never moved, don't worry about it. The slots are helpful when you want to take the motor out, though (which I've done) and replace it (after you're done using it in the base), as you don't need to completely remove the clamp bar.

The 7518 has all the same type of bases as the 691 (fixed, plunge, d-grip, etc). I have the fixed (screw-type) base, and the nubbies are used for depth control when the motor is in that base.

Reply to
DJ Delorie