Update: Hot Collet on PC 7518 Router

I got a phone call from a technical service guy at Porter Cable in response to my email complaining that the collet gets too hot to hold, even when the router is running unloaded. He said that they now use "full contact" sealed bearings because they give longer life than the older bearings, which had a tendancy to fail from contamination. He said the new bearings tend to run hotter, and that PC regularly gets complaints about the heat. He offered to send me another router, but warned that it may be no better. I took him up on his offer, since it's unlikely to be worse than the one I have.

DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I wonder if clamping the router to the bench (and maybe supplying a little cooling air via a fan) and letting it run for an hour or so would loosen up those bearing seals enough to let it run a little cooler.

Reply to
bridger

My replacement router came in Friday. I put the new router beside the old one on the bench, with no bit installed in either, and ran both for 5 minutes. I could detect no difference in temperature of the two collet nuts. I could touch them, but could not hold them. Since I like everything else about the 7518, I'll just live with the heat.

DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
DonkeyHody