OT: What are your thoughts on this?

Page 5 of 7
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:07:20 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:
<snip a lot of valuable info>

Now your talking, nuclear powered car, fusion I hope, comes with all the fuel it will ever need and a cruising speed of 400 Mph. Bring it on!
Hey, can we get with auxillary 3 phase out put to power our tools?
basilisk
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org says...

May not be as far-fetched as you think. One of the long-shots in fusion research is a tabletop device that the Naval Research Lab is working on.
On 9/13/2012 7:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

to a satellite.

RTGs are fairly common in deep space probes. Nuclear reactors, much less so and Mr. Fusions are never used. ;-)
says...

The Russians have about 30 in orbit. That's reactors--cores, reflectors, neutron chain reaction, the whole nine yards. Apollo put a number of nuclear thermionic power cells on the Moon--those use isotope decay rather than a neutron chain reaction. Curiosity, recently landed on Mars, uses a similar power source. So do Pioneer 10 and 11.
All relatively low power though--SNAP-10 provided about 500 watts of electric power for example. The reactors make lot of heat--about 40 horsepower worth in the case of SNAP-10, but conversion is another story.
Incidentally, at one point the Soviets brought a model of the TOPAZ reactor that they were then using to a conference in the US. The Strategic Defense Initiative Office saw this and decided to see if they could buy a couple of those reactors to study. The Soviets, surprisingly, were willing to sell them. The subsequent actions of the various agencies of the US government read like the plot for a Marx Brothers movie.

Curiosity is powered by an RTG (Radio-isotope thermal generator) which generates electricity from the decay of Plutonium.
Plutonium RTG's also power the Voyager spacecraft and all outer-solar system craft.
This is neither fission nor fusion.
The soviets did place a fission reactor in orbit in the 60's.
scott

I believe that the NRL (which never sponsored the research, but rather one of the NRL researchers was advocating it) has completely given up on the soi disant cold-fusion research to which I suspect you are referring.
The only viable tabletop fusion is muon-catalyzed fusion which was known before pons-fleichman and it takes more energy to produce the muons that is obtained from the subsequent fusion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon-catalyzed_fusion
scott
On 9/12/2012 10:07 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Let me throw some actual facts into the mix here. My wife and I just purchased a 2012 Camry SE V6. In town we are averaging 26 mpg in the first thousand miles, on the highway better than 35 mpg, those numbers will improve as the engine and trans break in. Our car has 268 hp and shifts into 6th great at around 35-40 mph. This from a 3400 lb vehicle, only 1600 lbs lighter weight than our Tundra.
The transmissions do not only have more speeds to increase gas mileage, they have more speeds to give a smoother ride. Shift points are almost undetectable other than looking at the tach.

I have heard that line before, from some one that reads a lot about cars but does not really understand the dynamics that are involved. I can assure that fuel injection, computer controlled ignition timing and variable valve timing does a world of good for gas mileage.
By simply raising the octane of the fuel and advancing the ignition timing you will increase gas mileage and performance. Same fuel, higher octane. Higher octane fuels enable engines to run more efficiently.
We have

I believe you are clueless.
On 9/13/2012 2:31 PM, Leon wrote:

Obviously you did not take Chemistry and Physics when you were in school. If so you would have learn about bond energies, and the the energies released during chemical reactions. When gasoline reacts with oxygen (approximately -CH3 + O2 = CO2 + H2O) a define amount of energy is released, that is fixed, and can not be changed by all of the high technology in the world. The energy of these chemical bonds and reactions can be found in any handbook on chemistry and physics, in the library. This information is also available on the internet. This is the reaction of Natural gas.
http://www.naturalgas.org/overview/combust.asp
Once you have the total energy produced you must reduce it by the percent of the energy you can collect in the system in which the reaction occurs. ie car's engine. There are slight differences when using the gas propane, methane and the liquid aerosols, ie gasoline.
The first submarines with engines occurred in the mid 1800's and used a engine to produce electricity that was held in batteries, The battery was then use when the submarine was submerged. Here is a history of submarines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_submarines
Here is the history of the Diesel locomotive that uses a concept similar to a submarines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_locomotive
On 9/13/2012 2:51 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Obviously you are clueless. YOU said that a given fuel has only so much stored energy, I did not disagree. What seems to be way over your head is Physics, which you apparently did not take, I did. Just because a fuel only has so much energy does not indicate that the machine unleashing that energy cannot do so more efficiently than an other. Read that as the engine that burns more of the fuel and puts it to use rather than one that blows some of the unburned fuel out the exhaust and or wastes the burned fuel in producing heat rather than power.

Still clueless. You are stuck on the non fact that preparative engines were just as efficient as today's modern engines. False False False False False False False False False False False!
The fact that any given fuel can only store "x" amount of energy is off track to your original comment of modern vehicles not being more efficient than those build many years ago.
You have a basic understanding, but are lost with what to do with that understanding.

of the reasons manufacturers specify high octane is that is what they did their mileage tests with to get the best performance. You will get fewer miles per gallon with regular fuel.
Mike M

Let me ask you a question. And please, feel absolutely free to shoot me down for asking it.
The US has arguably, given its citizens the most freedoms and liberties of any country in history. What you're commenting on above suggests to me there's so many freedoms and liberties given that many people take additional liberties whenever and wherever because they think they deserve them.
Seems to be there's a conflict between people understanding the rights they deserve and the rights they think they're eligible to take.
See Daneliuk. I can inflame shit just like you.
"Dave" wrote in message wrote:

Let me ask you a question. And please, feel absolutely free to shoot me down for asking it.
The US has arguably, given its citizens the most freedoms and liberties of any country in history. What you're commenting on above suggests to me there's so many freedoms and liberties given that many people take additional liberties whenever and wherever because they think they deserve them.
Seems to be there's a conflict between people understanding the rights they deserve and the rights they think they're eligible to take. =========================================================================It's the result of having so many laws that you can't live without being in violation of something. It has made people not care.

And I read it as the opposite. There's so many freedoms that people feel at liberty to take more whenever they feel like it.
What's that saying "Unlimited power brings unlimited corruption and stupidity".
"Dave" wrote in message wrote:

And I read it as the opposite. There's so many freedoms that people feel at liberty to take more whenever they feel like it.
What's that saying "Unlimited power brings unlimited corruption and stupidity". ===================================================================You have proven you have shit for brains. Your opinion doesn't matter. You have lost all credibility.

Apparently you confuse power with liberty ?
On 9/10/2012 7:43 PM, Dave wrote:

If by freedoms and liberties you include constitutional rights, the US has not given them to its citizens. In the USA, we accept that such rights are not given by government, but that all people are inherently endowed with those rights without any act of government.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
Driving an automobile is not a right, it is a privilege that is extended to those who qualify by satisfying certain legal requirements. It is a privilege that can be revoked if a driver violates those requirements.
On 9/10/2012 8:43 PM, Dave wrote:

Rights are inalienable, not granted by the government, and not subject to being voted upon.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I understand that's how they're perceived. But, those rights didn't just magically appear. They're words that someone wrote. They were proposed by men and developed by men, your congress and Thomas Jefferson. People in fact who were in a position of government. They were in fact created by your government. I think it's fair to suggest that if they hadn't been in government, those inalienable rights probably wouldn't have come into being.
You may not think they were granted, but that's as good a description as any for how they came into existence. Please understand, I'm not trying to attack your declaration of independence in any way shape or form.
On 9/11/2012 9:21 AM, Dave wrote:

But then there are those "God" given rights. ;~)