OT: What are your thoughts on this?

Page 3 of 7

Well, your mental abilities are now out for all to see and there isn't much to see.

Capt. Obvious stikes again.

There are many areas that are 80MPH and one that's 85MPH. So?
On 9/11/2012 8:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

SO, there isn't a "national 55MPH speed limit as you falsely stated when you said, "I blame it on the national 55 MPH speed limit." There used to be one from about 1974 to 1987, but it was modified some 25 years ago and repealed about 17 years ago. SO, you blamed drivers' behavior on a law that doesn't exist.

Idiot. Drivers got worse after the national limit went into effect and ignored. It's been all downhill since.

Correction: on a law that *no longer* exists -- and rightly so, IMHO. The adoption of that law -- largely unenforced and largely unenforceable -- encouraged drivers to ignore not only that, but many other traffic laws as well.
Prior to its adoption, it was unusual to see drivers going more than 5-10% over the posted speed limit -- on interstates with a posted 70mph limit, for instance, most traffic was moving between 70 and 75, and speeds over 80 were rare. After the 55mph limit was adopted, IME traffic didn't slow down much in most states (Ohio, New York, and Utah being notable exceptions), and the norm became upper 60s to low 70s, that is, about 20-25% over the limit.
The 55mph limit has become "ancient history", but the habit it encouraged of driving 20+% over the limit persists to this day. It is no longer unusual to see drivers going 85 on interstate highways with a posted limit of 70 -- or 45-50 on city streets with a posted limit of 35.
It was also unusual, prior to the mid-1970s, to see the widespread disregard of stop signs, red lights, no-passing zones, school bus "STOP" arms, and reduced-speed zones around schools that I now observe nearly every day.
Unenforced and unenforceable laws encourage disrespect for all laws.
The national 55mph limit was a mistake for many reasons -- but that was the main one.
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 01:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Proper speed limits would also help. I live in CT and work in MA. One road I drive every day has a 45 mph limit. If that road was in VA, it probably would be 50 mph, a fair speed to drive on it. VA seems to be more advanced in their thinking.
Many speed limits were deemed to be safe back in the 1930's when car had poor lighting, poor brakes, poor tires, bumpy road surfaces, etc. It may have made sense back then, but not now.
The lower the speed limit, the higher percentage drivers seem to travel over the posted limit.
On 9/12/2012 10:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Virginia is a poor state to hold up as progressive in the traffic laws and speed limits. One of the best states for speed limits is Kentucky. They have a 70 mph limit on their interstates, and one speed limits for all types of vehicles.
Indiana has one of the worst. While they have 70mph on their interstates, trucks have a slower limit that cars. So it is a constant jockeying as you back up behind the slow trucks, maneuver to pass them and the repositioning of the cars in front of the truck.
In contrast Kentucky with one speed limit is easy driving as there is minimal back up caused by the slower vehicles.

Most of the South is 70MPH for both trucks and cars (and they give an easy 80MPH). I did see a few spots in Kentucky and one in Tennesee, over the weekend, that were 65MPH, though. Surprising since these were outside of congested spots where a slow-down might be expected.
As mentioned elsewhere here, Texas is 80MPH, with the new toll road speed limit set at 85MPH, AIUI. Makes sense.
On 9/12/2012 11:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

As for the places in the south with 65mph, you forgot the southern history. That is the only way to explain North Carolina going randomly from 70mph to 65mph on I-95. I wonder if they will make it uniform if they get their way and make I-95 a toll road. I doubt it as they would lose the speeding ticket revenue.

Not buying that "explanation".
On 9/12/12 10:16 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Except that every time I drive through it, you still have @$$holes driving slow in the passing lane... and they even has signs that read, "stay right!"
--

-MIKE-

That's not unique to KY.
On 9/13/12 9:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That is certainly true. But given KY put signs up reminding people and it's still ignored by most is further evidence of the fact that most people are selfish, inconsiderate a-holes when they get behind the wheel... which is sort of the theme of this whole thread.
--

-MIKE-

In other states it's not the law. That is, some states the left lane is for passing only, thus the drive-right signs. Others want both lanes used.

Certainly not unique to KY!
At one time truckers were known to be good drivers. Anymore, they're just as likely to be inconsiderate a-holes as anyone else. I don't know how many times I got stuck behind two trucks side-by-side going the same speed, this past weekend (1500mi trip from GA/AL up to IL for to a funeral).
On 9/13/12 12:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Some things are generally accepted common courtesy. But then we know that courtesy got outta Dodge years ago. I see if happen when there are 3 lanes. Not only will people drive in the passing lane and stay there when there are 2 lanes, but as soon as the road opens up to 3 lanes, then move over into the leftmost lane, again, and stay there.
I wish more cops would do this... (You may want to mute it to keep from hearing the inane comments of a couple of examples of America's brightest generation.)
http://youtu.be/LZhdvl_P1Zc?t1s

http://youtu.be/LZhdvl_P1Zc?t1s

That's just truckers "getting back" at car drivers. Try driving an RV near trucks and see how you get treated. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 9/13/2012 2:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have not driven an RV, but have pulled a 21" boat with an Astro van several times up and down the interstates. I always try to be courteous to the truckers, helping them in traffic, helping them change lanes, etc. I must be successful as many times I have found they were helping me do the same thing.
On 9/13/12 2:25 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I've been on too many bus tours to count and truckers treat bus driver as one of the club, which they are, since they need a commercial license to drive one.
I've also been on tours in huge RV's that are essentially the same size as a bus, but poorly constructed, lighter, and anyone can drive one as long as you're not being "paid to drive" it. On many of these tours, the manager or tour manager will drive these RV's or they'll have the merch guy drive it and these guys never got the training to drive a behemoth vehicle like this and it shows. If the truckers on the road can't tell there's an amateur driving by the plates and tags, they can tell by the amateur driving. And they love to mess with those amateurs, believe me.
I would enjoy their pranks more if I weren't the guy trying to sleep in my bunk at the time. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 9/13/2012 2:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have not driven an RV, but have pulled a 21" boat with an Astro van several times up and down the interstates. I always try to be courteous to the truckers, helping them in traffic, helping them change lanes, etc. I must be successful as many times I have found they were helping me do the same thing. ==========================================================================A 21 inch boat? Must be rather easy to tow.

Again, some states are "drive right" and others allow driving in all lanes. As long as people aren't passing right, everything works. The problem is that people don't pay attention or don't care.

Sorry, can't watch videos.

If that's the case, they're no better than the worst of the car drivers. Worse, in fact.

Explain?
On 9/13/12 6:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I believe everyone is or should be taught to pass on the left. If someone is behind you going faster than you and you are in the leftmost lane, you move your ass over, plain and simple. If you don't you're a inconsiderate douchebag, period. :-)
--

-MIKE-

No argument, there. Often people won't give the chance, though.