OT: We The People...

.. snip

Psst, krw, you're getting muddy.

Rob Leatham

I took a shower. ...needed it.
Rich wrote:

As someone put it, "They say they intend to rule benevolently, but make no mistake about it, they intend to rule!"

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Liberals, Progressives or whatever they call themselves these days that have much if any ammo or rounds. They are at a disadvantage in that respect!
haha Rich

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNfbqg_pEqAQ&h
ecf

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaICkRgCsXbU%26feature%3Drelated&h
ecf
I load MY own.
Dave in CZ-land
Dave in Texas wrote:

Wanna have some fun?
1. Drill a hole (from the back) in a jacketed bullet almost all the way to the tip. Press fit a stainless steel rod of the correct length in the hole (Tungsten or depleted Uranium would work better). Use this cartridge to shoot a 1/4" steel plate, an old fire safe, or the side of an abandoned refrigerator.
2. Take a standard hollow-point and drill out the point a bit more. Fill with pistol powder. Press fit a large pistol primer on the end. Shoot a door or other wooden structure. It's like shooting monkeys in a barrel!
On 7/26/2010 5:03 PM, HeyBub wrote:

As long as the BATmen don't get wind of it and stage Ruby Ridge III with you in the lead role.

3. Flatten the head of some nails like fins, harden them, coat with teflon lube, load into twelve gauge shells in place of shot. Find a cop with a vest.
Mark
Markem wrote:

No need. Flechette shotgun shells are commercially available.
Han wrote:

Greed is good.
As one ancient worthy said, "If not for greed, no man would marry, build a home, or father a child."
Greed compared to altruism is like comparing dynamite with a bowling ball. It is very difficult to cause substantial harm with a bowling ball. It *IS* easier to cause great harm with dynamite, but, when used properly, much good can result.
In other words, the problem is with the outcome, not the motivation.
As for "compassion," consider Jonas Salk peering through his microscope during those long nights of search and discovery. He no doubt had many incentives for his dedication, but I'll bet at least once the thought "If I can whip this, then the money will roll in and I can do the kind of research I want without having to suck up to all those bureaucrats and grant applications!" crossed his mind.
So, to some degree, greed helped eliminate Polio during my lifetime.

To Heybub and Keith:
I may be some kind of statist to you, but I'm all for individual initiative, daring and some greed as well. I am also for a context wherein personal advantage doesn't come at the cost of kicking everyone else down under the mud. If that doesn't come voluntarily, then there is a need for "regulation". Perhaps that's why we have laws, rather than anarchy.
I know at least 1 contemporary to Salk (he hopes) who does indeed work not only because doing good and increasing knowledge is fulfilling him, but also because of what you say about grant applications. In fact Charlie told me he buys lottery tickets just for that. He is now a big professor at Harvard. I am proud to know Charles N. Serhan personally!
--
Best regards
Han

Hey Han, individualists don't believe in "kicking everyone else down under the mud". That's the job for states. Pies can and do get larger if governments will allow them to. If the state keeps taking it's half they won't. "10% is good enough for Jesus, it should be enough for Uncle Sam."

He may be a genius, but is also a fool.
HeyBub wrote:

You continue to confuse greed with the normal desire to succeed. Greed is not good, it is the excessive desire to attain more than deserved.

Do you, or the "ancient worthy" think it is excessive to build a home, marry or father a child?
I didn't think so... Greed would be I build a house, then shoot you in the head and take your house. Get it? Building a house is not greed, taking someone else's likely is.

Greed may have helped him steal the limelight if someone else came up with the cure first, but normal desire to succeed would not cause that to happen. One is normal search for success, one is excessive desire to get something not deserved.
--
Jack
Mr. Geithner, May I Borrow Your TurboTax?
Dave in Texas wrote:

1) Starting in the near future, I will lose the right to choose the type of health insurance I buy, or even whether I want to buy insurance. If I don't buy the government approved version, I will be fined. Seems like a loss of freedom to me, how about you? You OK with the government ordering you to buy a product by force of law? Don't bother with the automobile insurance analogy -- that dog don't hunt. If I don't own a car, I don't have to buy auto insurance. If a person has a pulse, they will be required to buy health insurance or pay a fine -- that is, unless they are part of one of the protected classes. Then I will get to help subsidize their purchase of health insurance.
2) If The One's vision of Cap and Tax passes, I will lose more freedom of mobility, comfort, and other elements of my daily life as the huge carbon taxes will "necessarily cause my electric bills to skyrocket [his words, not mine]", cost of transportation to skyrocket, and all other goods to increase in cost because of these taxes.
3) Planned tax increases as the tax cuts expire and The One's minions ponder a VAT tax and other tax increases will further decrease my ability to exercise my economic freedom to purchase, save, or invest as more of that which I work to earn will be taken from me by an ever-increasing government.
4) Additional regulation of the financial industry that just passed is going to do little to protect my investments but is going to add further restrictions upon the banks with whom I do business, credit cards companies that I might use, and stifle my consumer choices because of exceedingly over-arching regulations imposed on businesses that will hit small businesses hardest, driving many of them out of business.
As far as that snarky Medicare question, I don't know, I'm not old enough to qualify to collect benefits from the system THAT I'VE FRICKIN' PAID INTO BY FORCE OF LAW FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS, and there's no telling if there will be anything available when I am old enough to qualify. I may be one of the lucky ones who will have been forced to pay for the benefits of others while congress bought votes by generously expanding benefits and who will have to then buy my own coverage when I am old enough because the system will be bankrupt. Thanks so much for your support of politicians who felt that charity was using my money to buy the goodwill of others, my generation really appreciates your support of those weasels.

Rob Leatham

Only respondng to this portion ...
If we go back in time, we'd still live in the era of monopolies and robber barons. Individualism, initiative, even greed CAN coexist with sensible regulation. Now on to what is sensible <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:00:24 -0400, lennn99 wrote:

Of course it is. I have to wonder how many of the tea partiers are collecting Social Security benefits and Medicare services while screaming about government spending. I see a lot of gray hair in videos of their meetings :-).

On 7/22/2010 6:23 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

??
IOW, if you made the _mandatory_ contributions to these programs during your working years you should somehow be ashamed of collecting benefits because of "government spending"?
What a non liberal concept ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Not only that, you forfeit your rights as a citizen!