OT-Welcome Wagon people

We moved last month and the Welcome Wagon people called and came over today with a boatload of coupons. Some we will use, some not. Free oil change, free haircut, discounts, or X $ off a purchase. My question...how do these people make money doing these home visits? A kickback if a coupon is used?

Just curious.

Reply to
Joe J

Doesn't the chamber of commerce pay for their time? Or more likely the ones whose coupons they have.

This is targeted advertising, at the most favorable time, when the potential customer has no barber, no car place, no nothing. They might get 20% or 50% as customers for years to come.

A lot more effective than 1000 tv commercials.

And for most people not annoying either, like tv commercials.

In general there's nothing wrong with advertising, and no reason to think the coupon places don't do a good job. So check them out. Nothing to lose if they are free, unless they accidentally give you a Mohawk hairdut. And assuming theyr'e not selling bodycoolingsculpting.

Reply to
mm

On 5/10/2011 4:58 PM, mm wrote: ...

No, WW is a commercial endeavor...the even have a web site if you want to sign up...I'll leave you to guess the url. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Jon Danniken

We lived in a development with a very aggressive homeowner's association a few years ago. The welcome wagon crew was the scouting team. They were making damned sure you were up to association standards, and knew what was expected.

With coupons and a smile of course.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

There are also coupons in the USPS change of address package. Wanna bet the USPS is making money on that stuff too? When we moved (twice) a couple of years ago, that stuff came in quite handy.

Reply to
krw

We moved last month and the Welcome Wagon people called and came over today with a boatload of coupons. Some we will use, some not. Free oil change, free haircut, discounts, or X $ off a purchase. My question...how do these people make money doing these home visits? A kickback if a coupon is used?

Just curious.

As a side note we have used 3 of the 20 or 25 services that welcome wagon presented us when we moved to our town last year. A dentist, a vet/animal hospital and a picture framing company.

We are a bit disappointed with the dentist cause she always seems busy so we are going with a less busy dentist because it's easier to book appointments but that's not Welcome Wagon's fault.

The animal hospital was very cheap and very professional and we will most likely be lifetime customers because of it.

The picture framing company is nothing exceptional except that it's local and it saves us a drive to the big city to deal with a company we liked.

The worst was Culligan water. We contacted them to replaced the ancient water softener system (that they rented the previous owners) and they were $2000 over the other competitors who had better products. Culligan used Welcome Wagon to present us with a personal quote and message. When we informed Culligan we were purchasing a system elsewhere they became derogatory and rude and said the competitor was on the brink of bankruptcy and wouldn't last long. The competitor is owned by Berkshire Hathaway I informed Culligan (yes that's correct, Warren Buffet does indeed own a water softener company) and I informed the welcome wagon about Culligan.

Overall we we happy with Welcome Wagon and the time she spent in our home

Reply to
The Henchman