OT:We saw Lightfoot last night.

Page 5 of 5

He wrote some absolutely beautiful ballads. Many.
His problems had a lot to do with Cathy Evelyn Smith. Read up on that winner.

Where? You didn't go to Interlochen did you?
Max

London, ON

Retire? Why? Because he was 72? At 72 I could put in a full days hard work. Built a deck onto the house. 13 x 42 and 12 feet high. By myself. But now 2 months away from 83 I am s l o w i n g d o w n. ww
On 4/16/10 8:16 PM, WW wrote:

What does that have to do with singing?
--

-MIKE-

Here in my town, Dixon, CA ("Gateway to Davis") we have the Dixon May Fair, the oldest Fair in America that's still in it's original location.
We get a LOT of aged and past-their-prime bands, in the last few years (some still VERY good). But then, we also have the Demolition Derby, sheep dog trials, the FFA animal competitions, funnel cakes and greasy Carni food, and the carnival rides.
This May: Foreigner, Pat Benatar, Creedence Clearwater Revisted
Former years: REO Speedwagon ZZTop Doobie Brothers "Lynard Skynard" (well, kinda') many others
"We all get old". -Ronnie Wood

That takes me back. I remember one quiet mid-week night at the Ash Grove or the Troubador when he and I were both young, with Gordon doing a solo set to a room of no more than a dozen, just him and his six-string and another guy called "Red" backing him on 12-string. He was probably about 30 or a little more, I was an aspiring but not very good folksinger in my middle 20's. Some people say he had the best voice in folk, in those days.
Tom

That would have been Red Shea. He passed away almost 2 years ago. He was a finger-picker from the Kotke way of getting things done. Even though he had extraordinary picking skills, he always stayed tasty.
Lightfoot has a very distinctive voice but what made him was his song writing ability. That and Elvis doing his Early Morning Rain.
That would have been Red Shea. He passed away almost 2 years ago. He was a finger-picker from the Kotke way of getting things done. Even though he had extraordinary picking skills, he always stayed tasty.
Thanks for filling in that missing piece for me, RT. I'll say that guy could pick a 12-string.
Tom
"Robatoy" wrote:

was a finger-picker from the Kotke way of getting things done. Even though he had extraordinary picking skills, he always stayed tasty. ---------------------------------------------------- Some years ago, NPR brocast a night of pickin from someplace in North Carolina.
Ricky Skaggs on mandolin, Doc Watson on guitar & Earl Scruggs on banjo.
Quite an evening's entertainment.
Lew

Skaggs is a criminal <G> So is Vince Gill... Yup, Ricky can really fly.
On 4/17/2010 10:00 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Ricky Skaggs played on two cuts of Manhattan Transfer's "Swing" album.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I'll order it. I watched Elvis Costello's show Spectacles this evening. John Prine, Lyle Lovett and Ray LaMontagne. They did, as a group, Van Zandt's Loretta. Kinda cool that.