OT: warranties

Page 3 of 5
Robatoy wrote:

That'll certainly have an effect. :)

Hmm - I dunno if that's really a good test, since at least some of the heat must have been residual (stored in the slab, tools, solid surface stock, etc).
Now if you'd put in a trio of 8-foot panels, instead of that lonely 4-footer, and the temperature had been close to 23C... then you'd have had a more credible test. ;)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

"I learned something from that."

That moment of burning pain when one's immediate reaction is to say: " my goodness, I must be more careful next time."
Robatoy wrote:

I think you misspelled "AAAAAGH! GOTDAMM SUMMA *BITCH*!"
MikeWhy wrote:

I did - I never built another water-heating panel. :)
It's taken from April of '73 until April of '09 to convince myself that it might be worth another go. The memory of that mouthful of 180F water is still pretty vivid...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Bah! I'll bet you drink room temperature coffee. I also meant illustrating the effectiveness of solar. Consider yourself twice blessed. I'd be more skeptical if my black Lab does't sit out in the winter sun to watch the neighborhood, and come in hours later toasty warm.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Has no one else scalded themselves from trying to drink out of the hose that was lying in the yard all day?
--

-MIKE-

Noooo, can't say I have. I flush every source of water till my finger likes it and I know that the rubber/plastic taste has flushed away. You?
Robatoy wrote:

Wasn't quite so smart at age 9.
--

-MIKE-

Oh, okay then, that does make a difference.
"Robatoy" wrote
Noooo, can't say I have. I flush every source of water till my finger likes it and I know that the rubber/plastic taste has flushed away. You? ===================================== I had a brother who used to put the hose in his mouth and let the water shoot out both nostrils. And he could squirt you with his dual nose water cannons form a good distance away too. Totally freaked out anybody female and a few males as well. Makes my nose hurt just to recall it.
-MIKE- wrote:

Most folks only do it once, however. :)
I enjoy building things that push the state of the art - but I've made a point of /not/ building things that have the potential to cause injury (or that lend themselves to being weaponized).
Consider it just one of a number of personal quirks.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

So, no solar powered hot water canons in your future?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Not even accidental ones.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

No, but I've done worse. Had my wisdom teeth removed in the hospital. I was pretty groggy afterwards recovering from the anaesthetic, but was able to gather a urine sample at the request of the nurse. Fell asleep after that, but work up thirsty a little while later. Naturally, I reached for the little cup sitting on the beside table and took a sip. It wasn't water...

reflectors. He used to go for the extreme displays at fairs, etc. He ended getting kicked out a a couple of them because his demonstrations were considered too dangerous for a public setting. He even burnt up a couple of his parabolic dishes.
I would get nervous when he started brainstorming another solar powered stunt. The stupidest one was when he put a bunch of powdered magnesium in the focal point. That on almost burnt down a building and half destroyed the collector.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Yikes! It's probably not great form to quote my self, but here's an extract from an e-mail I sent to a gentleman in Montreal who's thinking of building a parabolic trough:
"Although the mirror width is 48", the trough (with the mirror curved) is somewhat less, but still provides concentration to more than 100 suns - resulting in dangerous temperatures and extreme brightness at the focus.
You should protect your eyes with something like welding goggles when you work with your concentrator outdoors - and /please/ remember that shiny bright things attract children, and that even older children do not listen well to warnings about dangers to their eyes."
He'd already read the warning at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Heat.html
I'm with you. These things need to be handled with care.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

The solar craze went through Houston in the early 80's and it sucked. It literally cost more than it saved. And yes it was solar in its infancy. I have heard that there is a new community on the NE side of Houston that is using solar roofs and the community was about 25% dependent on pole electricity, or so they claimed. I have not heard much lately about it however.
Leon wrote:

I know what you're talking about. A lot of the early solar stuff wasn't very well designed or built and, sadly, too many of the current products are just copies of the old stuff.
It's just about impossible to make a good economic case for PV-generated electricity for anywhere except remote off-grid areas.
OTOH, solar heat for either space heating and/or water heating is hugely more efficient and can be a real cost saver for a substantial fraction of residences and a smaller fraction (but still significant number) of small businesses.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar