OT: warranties

I don't believe it! All those stories about devices failing right after the warranty runs out? It finally happened to us!

My wife loaded the dishwasher this morning and it made strange noises. She looked it up in our records and we bought it March 19th of last year!

My reaction when she told me was to laugh - old wives tales do come true :-).

But it may be temporary - something hard in the pump that'll dissolve in time.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

If the problem turns out to be "not temporary", it's not too hard to open up the pump. The worst part may be getting the machine out from under the counter. The clamps, the rubber boots, piece of cake, really. The only thing that might slip you up is a reverse-threaded bolt on the impeller.... Tom

Reply to
tom

She should call and report that it happened before midnight.

Bones and cherry pits don't dissolve for a very long time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had a Buick Park Ave whose transmission died 1000 miles after the warranty. They fixed it anyway.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

When my heated seat broke ($675 to repair) after the 36,000 miles, but before the 3 years, they told me to buy a new car. I should have as the Buick continued to turn to crap. Still in my driveway (not working at the moment) it is the last Buick I'll ever own.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

While I was called up for Desert Storm the Buick developed a problem. My wife talked with the owner of the dealership. They didn't know how much it would be until they got into it. She explained that I was called to active duty and if it was very much we would have to pay it out over a couple of months since our income had taken a hit. Nope! Had to be paid in full when it was fixed. She had it repaired elsewhere.

That was our third and last Buick.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Friend of mine inherited a '94 Buick.

Biggest POS on the planet.

Just for reference, I'm 6'-0", 240 lbs.

Not a midget, but not obese either.

Impossible to get into or out.

Seat adjustments are for midgets.

Bells and whistles start ringing if the turn signal is on for more than about 20-30 seconds.

With that kind of crap, it's no wonder GM is in trouble.

BTW, have been warned about an upcoming tranny problem some where around 60K miles.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?"

... Hell No!

Reply to
Phisherman

pffft. 3rd tranny and counting on our 99 Taurus. Paid for it once when we bought it. Twice and Thrice to rebuild the fu@&er. And now, a fourth time, through my taxes for the bailouts.

Thanks Ford, my @$$ hurts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

Not to pick nits or anything. And not commmenting on ford quality.

But Ford started to reform prior to the current economic situation. And they have not asked for any bailout money.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I read where Buick won some sort of JD Power award beating out Lexus. What's that tell you about JD Power? Take a look at

Seems it didn't get a 5 ball rating in any category but won the "Most Appealing Midsize Multi Activity Vehicle" award. Zowie. gronk, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Speaking of warranties...

I have installed two water heaters in my life. Did the whole thing. Bought it, brought it home, replaced the old one and put in the new one. And hauled the old one to the dump.

The last time, it had to be done just as I left town for a few days. My wife insisted that it be done that day. Which meant we had to call a plumber. Which costs FOUR TIMES as much! I told her to hang on to the paperwork. It was warrantied for complete replacement, parts and labor for one year.

Wel....., as luck would have it, about a year later the tank goes out. We ran to ge the paperwork. The warranty would expire THE NEXT DAY! We hustled to the phone and called it in. A plumber had a cancellation and came out. He checked the hot water heater and pronounced it dead. So he replaced it. We were so relieved.

Talk about squeaking by. Usually I am a week late.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

My '01 LeSabre has: broken heated seat replaced temperature sensor cruise control switch held in "on" with a broken piece of toothpick rebuilt transmission ($2600) wheel bearing replaced (not just the $4 bearing, but the whole damned $200 assembly) front rotors replaced vents on passenger side stuck in cold air position Leak in brake system (been too cold to check and crawl under with an injured knee) Ignition coils replaced

To make this woodworking related, both rear windows are held up with a piece of wood. No kidding, about three months apart the cable system mechanism broke so I removed the door panels and wedged them closed with a notched stick and replaced the panel.

I used to laugh at people that bought Hyundai when they first came here. Bought an '07 Sonata and it has 51,000 perfect miles. It also has every luxury feature that the Buick has, handles better and is faster, for 10 grand less.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"-MIKE-" wrote

FORD:

AKA: Take your choice:

FoundOnRoadDead

FigureOnRepairsDaily

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Four Old Rusty Doors - but mine is 13 years old now and virtually no rust.Nice car to drive, royal pain to fix (Contour/Mystique V6)

Reply to
clare

Lose the phone number to Ecology Auto.

They pick up that kind of crap.

Even pay you for it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

My wife bought an '08 Sonata. She was impressed with the safety features. I was impressed by the fact that I could sit in it and not bump up against anything. It was roomy for a big guy like me. They wanted to sell us an extended warranty. But it has been just fine and we have heard good things from other people.

I was reading some reviews about the Hyundai SUV's. They consistently were rated less than many others. Including some others I knew were problematic. I looked a little closer. The problem was that they did not have the big engines in them. Which might be a problem for pulling trailers, etc. But not for everyday driving.

So I checked the gas mileage of different SUV's. Hyundais did quite well. Some old habits die hard. The Hyundais were being marked down for having good gas mileage! And Detroit wonders why they are having problems.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yeah the cherry pits will sing for months on end. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

About the only GM vehicles worth having are the trucks and a select few from Chevrolet and Cadillac. Having worked in the dealership business end of the auto industry I can assure you that Isuzu was closer to Rolls Royce in quality than Oldsmobile was. It cracks me up when I hear the GM exec's say that they would run off potential customers if they file bankruptcy, Like they have not done about a 99% job of that already all by them selves. Society is becoming dumber.

Snip

Ford had that exact problem back in the 90's with the Taurus. The dip stick was too long and indicated full when it was low. During a scheduled transmission service not enough trans fluid was put back in. This went on for years and years and years and it was no secret but Ford liked the out of warranty transmission parts sales and so did the dealers.

Reply to
Leon

Well actually Ford was in deep do do several years back. Because the economy was still doing relatively well they were able to take steps early.

Reply to
Leon