OT: This ought to make you chuckle

Page 1 of 4
The kids at church need a puppet stage built out of PVC that they can tear down and transport so I got volunteered. I wanted to make a canvas skirt to go around the bottom and a back drop with sleeves the pipe can just slip into so I asked my friend who owns an upholstery shop if I could use his industrial size sewing machine....
"Have you ever used a sewing machine like this one?" he asked.
"No," I answered.
"I'll do it for you. That's a 2hp motor on that sewing machine and it'll eat you alive," he said to me.
I just looked at him and smiled and said ok but I was thinking to myself.... "Are you really serious? I'm sure that machine is worthy of the proper respect but c'mon... you want to talk about the ability to be eaten alive come play with my stuff."

Oh, I'm chuckling, but not for the reason you are. Years ago, my mom did interiors for the Excalibur Autos company (high-end, nice looking nearly-custom cars). One day, things got a bit out of control, and she ended up with a few stitches in her thumb. From the machine. Lock-stitched through the bone.
The ER doc was actually pretty impressed at how neat the stitches were. An industrial sewing machine, designed to sew through 1/2" plywood, can do a number on you, especially when it has a mechanism whose main purpose is to pull the workpiece into the sharp bits.
OUCH!!!!

Dave Hinz wrote:

I'll never forget the day my grandmother ran the web between thumb and forefinger into her machine. She (fairly cooly) stopped treadling, reversed the feed, and treadled at full speed to free her hand...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey writes:

Argh! I'm with Swingman here. The needles, the needles!
As I've aged, I've gotten used to more sharp things being stuck into my hide, but needles that have to be backed out or that carry thread....no. Makes my skin crawl to think of it, especially if I had to treadle the damned machine to get the needle out.
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle

I seem to recall pliers were involved in this case - a sewing needle is, after all, longer than the space between the plate and the shaft it's mounted to; normally one has lots of vertical movement available, not so much when it's lodged in a metacarpal.
Dave "or is that philanges..." Hinz
Dave Hinz writes:

I needed to know that.
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

LOL ... but no mas, as of right now this thread is plonked! aaccch!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Charlie Self wrote:

Especially when reversing the feed and running the treadle would make a nice double stitch on the web of your hand
I've never heard of a machine designed to sew through plywood...
Now that is scary...
Stephen R.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:06:03 GMT, S R <> wrote:

"Juki Industrial" at www.juki.co.jp is where this one was from. Of course the models have changed, but think of a machine with a 24" reach, that can exert that much downard force. Lots of metal there.
Dave "...and all of it trying to bite you..." Hinz
Dave Hinz writes:

Phew. Juki made my second computer printer. Long time ago.
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle

They made mine too. A daisy wheel. First was an Epson RX-80. (Too cheap for an FX model). I'd start printing my stuff at 10pm and let it run all night. Took all night - that thing was *slow*.
mttt responds:

Yes, it was. I sometimes think of that when I lean over and growl because my current inkjet can often take 10-15 seconds to deliver its first page. I'd write a book and feed it into the Juki and pick up the manuscript hours later. Written in WordStar. You did not want to screw up the dot commands!
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle
I missed those dot commands. Especially for inserting frequently used ugly text strings like "Gopherus Agassizi" where a simple .ga made life easier.
Then I found RoboType and life is better again. It works in other programs than word processors too; spreadsheets, email, internet forms, and login screens, to name a few. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,427373,00.asp
Art
"Charlie Self" wrote in message ...

I really miss the "view codes" command available in WordPerfect. Your text was indented and you didn't know way, simply set the "reveal codes" option, find the offending "indent" command and delete it. Unlike Microsloth Word that embeds all codes in the paragraph end -- and you can't get at most of the codes. I do not like software that takes judgement on what I write and decides that I really meant to format it *this* way.
The WP commands would let you left and right justify on the same line, too. That was really handy for setting up headers and footers.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 03:03:53 GMT, Mark & Juanita

You can shut all kinds of auto formatting off in Word

Word does this as well, in the header / footer dialog box. I often right justify one piece of information and left justify another in the same header or footer, sometimes with a third centered.
Barry

Not to mention True Type fonts. I sure don't miss the good old days.
I think I may still have a set of Word Star for DOS disks around and I'll sell them for less than the original $400 price. Ed
On Sat, 01 May 2004 12:19:41 +0000, B a r r y wrote:

If you've never used WP reveal codes, then you just don't understand. Using reveal codes is much like formatting a document with html, only reveal codes is more powerful. I really, really hope that OpenOffice implements this someday. (Are we far enough off-topic yet?)
--
Joe Wells