Things you know you ought to do but haven't (or didn't)

eating at the Cheescake Factory.

dave

Jim Mart> Hello All:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Bay Area Dave

Hello All:

The other day I FINALLY got around to mounting a little 400 grit sandpaper to my miter gage. Oh man what a difference! Total control!

So fess up guys: What have you FINALLY got around to that, once you did it, you couldn't believe you had put off for so long?

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

Lately? Installed a proper tool rest on the off-hand grinder.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Finally installing one of those $5 plastic tool holders on the wall near my workbench for all those fiddly little woodworking items and tools that didn't quite fit anywhere else!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Miller Dowel System

- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

- Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand

- Kreg Right Angle Clamp

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

ToolReviews

Bought a cabinet saw a little over 3 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:35:17 -0700, "Jim Martin" pixelated:

On my last shop, painting it white. WHAT a difference!

On the new shop, painting the floor white as well. 5 dual 4' fluors now light it very well.

Now to get OUT there...

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Jim Martin" >

Still in process. Talked about doing so for three years. The garage is partially insulated. 1/4 is done but the sheet rock is not up yet. I'm going to paint it either white or a very light color. The foam insulation is white and makes a big difference in the brightness of the room. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Crosscut sled. Why, oh why didn't I make one of these five years ago?

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:35:17 -0700, "Jim Martin" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

building a tennoning jig for the TS...a bunch easier than setting up the dado blade, and messing with the fence,,,

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Adjusting the outfeed table of my jointer so that it's in the same plane as the infeed table. Oddly enough this seems to have improved things considerably.

Reply to
Rob Bowman

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have been debating with myself on doing my floor white. I bought some White, one-part epoxy type floor coating that can be tinted with regular paint tint, from some industrial supply house a while back. I was wondering whether it would be a little too much white and thought I might tint it a shade of blue, or maybe "desert tan" or something. One thing about the white, it would have a very clean look when the shop was clean. :-)

Reply to
Michael Burton

Buying 10 acres of larch woodland last year, but not buying it because I didn't want "useless" larch.

Then spending much of the last year making stuff from larch.

Andy Dingley

On 6 Oct 2003 10:01:58 GMT, Michael Burton pixelated:

No, pure white is the best reflector and looks good. I need to build tool storage cabinets and am probably going to use ply so I can paint them white. I don't want to lose the light.

As a test (to see how much light would be lost if I used nice wood for the cabinets) I opened up a cardboard box on one wall. It opened to 50x84 (replacement Tenex chair mat box). Having it on the wall took the effectiveness of the lights down by a good

15%.

As if that would ever happen to any of us in real life...

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Patching the hole in stucco where I ran into the house with my wife's Bobcat. Far easier than I thought. But we couldn't quite get the stud that was displaced back to where it came from.

In terms of shop tools, getting a Unisaw. Compared to my former can't-hold-a-zero deflecting-fence contractor's saw, it's a whole different world.

OTOH, one thing I wish I hadn't done: waited to get a DW735 until after I read the review in October's Wood mag. Now I've missed the $100-rebate deal (ended last month) and no one has local them in stock. I could have gotten one the day before they were officially released, now I'm still waiting ...

BTW, Sears had the DW734's on sale for $299 two days ago.

Reply to
Dennis M. O'Connor

Your wife's Bobcat? As in "excavator"? Neat!

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Skid-steer loader, actually. F-753. Mainly, we mow the back field and irrigation ditch with it (6' Midwest Mower hydraulic mower). Also moves dirt, digs holes, and so on.

Oddly, our other "riding lawnmower" is a "Bob-cat" too. But it's a Ransome, not an Ingersol-Rand. It weighs about 4000 pounds less than the F753.

Reply to
Dennis M. O'Connor

Insulate and air-condition the shop. Moved in to our present house over 4 years ago, the shop was stud walls with a garage door and regular door. Endured the Tucson summer heat (got chased out by the monsoon season humidity last year starting in July) for the past 4 summers using fans. This summer I decided I needed better sheet good storage, but "if I'm going to do that, I ought to insulate and put up wallboard on that wall so I don't have to move the sheet good storage later when I do the whole shop." Well, that cascaded into, "may as well use up the insulation" to "may as well go to the cabinets" to "I'm committed now, may as well do the whole thing". Then, "since I'm doing this, may as well take out the garage door like I planned and put in patio doors for light -- and that's just the right place to put in a 2 ton window air conditioning unit." Finished a few weeks ago and started reconfiguring this past two weekends. What a difference white walls make! Even with a total of 12 sets of 4' flourescent lights, the walls were a black hole, the whole shop seemed dark. Now, the walls burst with light and I can see the 1/64" markings on the square again.

Oh, and the air conditioning is great also.

I still have the peak of the ceiling trusses down the middle to insulate and put wallboard over, but that can wait until this winter.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I just did mine with epoxy. Went with a light/medium Grey for color. I was afraid it may be too dark, but it sure brightened to place up. I have been parking the wife's car it there and it does not show the dirt from the tires. The downside is now I really need to paint the walls white again. The walls looked a bit dingy before, now with the nice floor, they look like hell! Sure white would brighten things up, but I would hate to try keep it clean. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:32:41 -0500, "Greg O" pixelated:

Heh heh heh. Try keeping the grey floor clean when you paint the walls. -My- drips never show. ;)

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques