Do you work wood in a "shop" or a "studio"?

Interesting article in the San Jose Mercury News about a famous woodworker. He doesn't create his pieces in a shop...

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

About ten years ago we had guests for dinner; we did not know them well but they were nice people. She, trying to be interested in my obsession, asked if she could see my studio after dinner. Unfortunately, I had a mouthful of soup at the time and my shop is DEFINITELY NOT a studio....its a mess. The soup went all over the place as I laughed explosively. No, my shop is not a studio. Dave in Maine

Reply to
Dave W

You mean you don't call the sh*thouse the "Relief Boutique"?

... get with it, Dude!

Reply to
Swingman

Are you implying that anyone who chooses to use the term "studio" when referring to their wood shop is being prissy? :) When I think of "studio" I think of Paramount or MGM or an artist's loft in SF, or a photographer's studio.

BTW: I'm not knocking the guy in the article; his work is uncommonly extraordinary. I'd love to own one of his pieces.

dave

dave

Sw> You mean you don't call the sh*thouse the "Relief Boutique"?

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

It's all about newspeak.

"shop" sounds less classy than "studio".

Give them what they are looking for (in this case, "studio") and you can get more for your work.

We all do it, we speak in embellishing ways. A rose is a rose is a rose until it becomes something special with a moniker descriptive or each hybrid.

Hmmm... "shop" is virile "studio" is gay?

I saw your reference to the newspaper article, but unfortunately don't have access to it. Got a url where one can read it?

Reply to
Swingman

The difference is in your product. If what you produce is classified as "Art" then you have a studio. If you produce "Functional" pieces, then you have a shop. Dunno what you have if your art is functional! :-) Confused?

SWMBO is into pottery, and on occasion I help her with a project. In reading some of the literature from that field I see the same distinction, although less prevalent. If you make functional ware then you have a "Pottery", but the art producers have a Studio.

Ohhhhh!

CharlesJ

-- ======================================================================== Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com

Reply to
Charles Jones

[snip]

Yeah, like this new term "metrosexual" for guys that pay too much attention to how they look. When I was a kid, they were called "pansies".

Doug Miller

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Thanks for the link, Dave.

To say that I am impressed with Heitzman's craft is an understatement ...The Maloof influence is apparent, as well as the fact that the Marc Adams School of Woodworking definitely puts a stamp on its adherents, staff and student alike.

Wish I could design AND build a dining table in 60 hours! I am designing a comparatively simple one now, (new page 5 on the site) and have 12 hours just futzing with the &%&$ CAD program, and haven't even ordered the wood, or finalized the design.

BTW, the style of writing in the article, if you're from anywhere else in the world, is so "CAspeak" as to be "notable" ... I started to say "painful", but decided to be polite. ;>)

Good reading ... thanks for posting the link and bringing it to, IMO, deserved, attention.

Man, if we could just replace a show with the frequency of DIY's "Warehouse Whoopdedoo", with a TV series by Heitzman ...

Reply to
Swingman

You are welcome!

I hadn't heard of him before today. Having lived in CA since '70 I didn't notice the "CAspeak".

I too thought the 60 hours was pretty quick, but then again maybe for him it was a "simple" piece. Like something that I couldn't build before the sun grows cold.

Seeing him creating such masterpieces in his STUDIO, on TV, would be a darn sight better than TOH, huh? I might even upgrade my basic cable for the premium channels to see him.

dave

Sw> Thanks for the link, Dave.

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Shed $10 Shop $100 Studio $1000 I think we've had this discussion before. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Must be similar to "DCspeak" because I did notice anything unusual about it either.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Does the US have a distinction between "Arts" and "Crafts" ?

In the UK, this is a huge separation. Crafts people laugh at artists and their frivolity, artists won't even let us in the building, let alone the gallery opening. There's a shared studio space in town that I'd _love_ to be working in, but as a "craft" furniture maker, the "artists" there just won't rent to craftspeople. If this is a rather arbitrary call for someone who welds sculptural steel furniture, it's downright ridiculous for the glassworkers.

"Artists" in the UK in recent years have been feted and paid huge prices for what is by and large self-centred crap (Emin, I mean you). Crafts people OTOH are those who "work with their hands" and are thus considered stupid. Hangovers from a rustic past, but there are no more sheep for us to herd in Wessex, and we're too stupid to become car mechanics.

I have a workshed, BTW.

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's a very interesting question, and hard to answer. We have Artists of the sort that you have, but we also have "Crafts" people who are much like them, hence Artsy-Crafty. We have craftsmen, fewer every year, and turners, and cabinetmakers also declining in numbers as professionals but increasing as hobbyists. Some of the latter show up in "Craft Fairs/Shows" routinely and in some places share spaces with the hobbyist artists. I'm not sure, at all, that its the same all over the US. In many ways the East and Left coasts are different countries and neither is like the Midwest. Local feelings may welll be different. At least that's my viewpoint. Yup, shop, and plans, not patterns or studio. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Oh, yeah.

Or can't afford the equipment: my father was an auto mechanic and died leaving about $900 worth of wrenches and other tools (timing light, feeler gauges, etc.). Today, the smaller computers for engine work run maybe $50,000.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

my wife would have more respect for my hobby if I called the gara...er, shop a studio. I could tell her I'm an artist. Yeah, that's the ticket. Then, when things don't come out exactly right I could sniff at her, "You wouldn't criticize Monet because his paintings lack detail. I call my pieces Impressionist Furniture; you don't want to look to closely."

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

You saw that episode of South Park too??? And yup, pansies. My dad still calls 'em fruits.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath