if this doesn't make you want to grow your own...

i dunno what it would take.

i'd never even heard of lupine flour before, and even if i had i'd never think of it with respect to a peanut allergy (and that's only part of the story).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

:-((((( If I was in the US, I certainly wouldn't be eating any poultry that I hadn't raised, killed and gutted myself:

We've just had cases in Aus of problems with peanut butter from China. I now have instructions from 'He Who Would Like to Be Obeyed' to only ever buy Australian made peanut butter.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

People around here think I'm crazy because I read labels on ALL food. If it's not from a country I trust I don't buy it. Anything from China is NEVER purchased whether it is food or anything else. It's not that I hate the Chinese, I just hate their way of doing business.

I don't eat at Red Lobster either, their shrimp and fish come from China according to folks who have looked into it. Thanks to USDA labels have to have country of origin on them.

I just discovered two large yellow squash and four very large zucchini hiding under the squash leaves. Looks like some more stuff to put up tomorrow. Still no ripe tomatoes but the green bean vines are covered with pencil size pods, won't be long to canning time.

Reply to
George Shirley

yep, but i haven't eaten much chicken or ground beef for many years now anyways.

interesting! i thought you blokes only ate that yeasty stuff and nutella? :) [p.s. i'm still rather upset that i can't have a bunya tree]

the USoA has had peanut butter problems at a few companies, but so far our favorite brand seems to do ok.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

The yeasty stuff is always popular but I prefer Promite over Vegemite. I don't know anyone who buys Nutella but everyone I know would have Peanut butter in their pantry.

I notice tht there are now ads appearing for other nut based spreads they may find favour for a short time because of the ads but I doubt tht peanut butter will ever be relaced.

[p.s. i'm still rather

Why not? Isn't Araucaria bidwillii available in the US or is your climate unsuitable for growing it

I've bought Skippy at Costco and it was OK but we've gone back to Sanitarium brand. Always worth trying a new brand now and then to see if it suits.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

yes, almond butter and cashew butter are both showing up here the past few years. at about twice the price (or more). peanut butter is about $10-$12 for two 40oz jars. for us that is a 3-6 month supply if Ma isn't making peanut butter cookies, pies or bars or me isn't making chocolates.

i think our climate is a bit too cold for them as it gets down to -30C or worse (w.o. wind chill).

i love the name. :) i've tried other brands and like the natural peanut butters the best (ground up peanuts and perhaps a little salt and that's it), but Ma doesn't like them. when i was living up north i could get bulk peanut butter fresh roasted and ground at the co-op - it didn't get much better than that. except now there would be the sea-salt version instead.

looks like another warm spring day, chances of rain later, but i'll believe it when i see it. in the meantime the onion seeds get a squirt and then i'll be weeding off and on the whole day if i can or puttering about.

the killdeer hatched out a few days ago and are already gone from their nest. they don't sit still for long...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

George Shirley wrote: ...

while some labels say where a thing was made it may not list where the ingredients come from and you can rarely find out GMO status. so while the labels are helpful, they're not always what i'd like.

heh, zukes and cucumbers seem to have their ways of hiding like that and some only seem to take a few days to go from tiny to huge. mmmM! on the fresh beans.

songbird

Reply to
songbird