OT, T-Shirt Transfers.

Page 2 of 2
Nope. When I was young, computers were the things of the military and they took up rooms.

snipped-for-privacy@muckleshed.com wrote:

I believe you can buy transfer paper at Staples, do a printout of the picture (or whatever) and iron on to your choice of clothing.
On 4 Nov 2006 09:37:48 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@muckleshed.com"

Never heard of what you're describing, but they do make paper that is coated in wax that you can print and transfer onto cloth with an iron. Called wax-transfer paper at the store.
Are you sure the homemade version wasn't done in a different order- like rubbing it with parafin wax, printing, and then ironing it on? I would imagine that any household chemical that will dissolve the ink out of the paper would cause the the colors and lines to bleed together before you could get it on the t-shirt. I know the wax works because the ink is on that, and it melts away when heated, releasing the ink into the cloth- it's not actually printed on the paper, just on the wax. Takes a trip through the washer before all the wax is completely gone, but it works fine.
The second thing you're thinking of might be a solvent you can mix with wax to get it soft enough to paint on that will evaporate afterwards so that it will reharden, and that's what you're remembering- but I would guess vigorously rubbing a sheet of paper with a hunk of wax might do the job. Or even just printing on wax paper from the store.
It's all speculation, though. The one time I did that for some reason or another, I just bought the special paper from the store.
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:37:48 -0800, "barry wrote:

Barry ... don't know about that concoction, but it's my information that you can reverse print with an inkjet or a laser and iron the pattern on ... supposedly works well enough for scroll-sawing.
Bill

Should be able to with a laser as they print on on the surface using a heat-set plastic matrix, but I'd be very surprised if that worked with an ink-jet.
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:23:37 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Nah, my wife has done it with a HP Deskjet. That would be an inkjet printer. Google search for Inkjet tshirt paper shows a bunch of answers.

I wasn't talking about using T-shirt paper, I was talking about printing something on ordinary paper then ironing to transfer the image.
J. Clarke wrote:

Thanks.
Barry
www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk