Can young plumerias be put up for winter?

I have about 50 very young plumerias, all in 1 gal pots, that haven't been rooted very long. They have leafed out, but haven't grown any taller than the original cutting yet. I know that at least with my older/larger plumerias I can just pull them up out of their pots, wash off the roots, put in garbage bags, and store them inside for the winter, but I am not sure about the young ones. I don't have enough space anywhere inside our small heated house big enough to just bring in all the young plants still in their pots. And although there is enough floor space in the garage for all the pots, there is no heating..... and since there are openings from the underside of the house (on piers) into the garage, it wouldn't be practical to try to heat it. I am a little concerned that their root systems might not yet be so well developed as my large potted plumerias, and so some of them might be killed attempting to un-pot them and put them in bags. I m in S. Texas, right on the coast. Very mild winters here, but we do usually have a few days of hard freezes each winter. I am thinking it is better to risk killing SOME of the young plants from root damage, rather than risk losing ALL of them from a hard freeze. Advice?

Reply to
Jimbo

Did you get an answer to your question yet? How cold do you think your garage will get? Below 40F? Freezing?

I'm pretty sure there are several active plumeria groups at

and they've probably answered your question in the past.

also this site was helpful to me with my handful of young plumeria.

just bring them inside the house and in the pots for the Winter. I think I could just keep them in their pots in my unheated garage because even though it will hit just below 30F outside several times in the Winter, the Garage stays above 40F

Jay

Reply to
JJ