Can I put expanding foam round copper gas pipes?

Hi all, I had a couple of mice move in for winter (2 trapped within 2 days and nothing in the last week) and I'm trying to seal their route in. They came from the void in the bottom of the house and up through gaps round the gas pipes leading to the meter under the stairs. So can I squirt some PU foam to fill the gaps? Is it a risk to the pipes?
Thanks,
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–
|Hi all, | I had a couple of mice move in for winter (2 trapped within 2 days and |nothing in the last week) and I'm trying to seal their route in. They came |from the void in the bottom of the house and up through gaps round the gas |pipes leading to the meter under the stairs. So can I squirt some PU foam |to fill the gaps? Is it a risk to the pipes?
Pack the hole with steel wool or brillo pads first, then follow with filler or something. Mice can eat most things, but they do not like steel wool.
Mice can get through a hole which you can get a pencil through, or arguably two pencils. -- Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> 17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

my dad used to make papier machι with meece poison and block the holes where the meeces would try to get in, with predictable results :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:29:27 +0000, Dave Fawthrop

Steel wool in contact with copper?
Doesn't seem like a good idea, electrolytically.
--

.andy

Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Hall wrote:

Insulation/gaffer tape in between then?
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Denso tape. That is used when burying a copper pipe in concrete.
--

.andy

Add pictures here
βœ–
bonding, this what i used, assuming gap is not too big; then i put cemet on top; worked for the squirrel that was trying get in!
Add pictures here
βœ–
bonding, this what i used, assuming gap is not too big; then i put cemet on top; worked for the squirrel that was trying get in!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Be really careful with this - my daughter's partner did exacty this including switching off all flames, including the boiler pilot light - but the whole lot exploded on him when he applied the filler round pipes as you were describing. There did not appear to be a igniting source so it may have been a dust explosion - he was fortunate to lose a bit of hair, eyebrows, etc. But the flame front was big enough to set fire to the curtains.
Don't know what to suggest other than plenty of ventilation.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jon Telfer wrote:

Yes. I'd cut a couple of bits of wood to fit neatly around the pipes and screw them to the floorboards.
You seem to be considering how to seal the gap which allows the mice into the understairs cupboard from the underfloor void. I'd suggest that you need to seal any gaps that allowed them into the underfloor void from outside AND poison & trap any that are infesting the underfloor void. Mice can gnaw the PVC insulation on electric cables. You don't want them occupying any part of your house.

No.
Add pictures here
βœ–