OT / subversive

Page 3 of 4

Most wine stores have discounts when you buy 6 or more.
writes:

Is a wine store different than a liquor store or are you referring to any store that sells wine?

Same thing. We have a discount liquor warehouse that may not give you an additional discount (as the price is lower anyway), but some of the wines we like are not available there. So we look elsewhere.
I don't have a lot of experiece (i.e. I tried it at 4 stores), but with the one exception above, if you ask about a bulk discount, they will give you 5% to 10% when you buy 6 or more of the same.
writes:

Gotcha. We have Spec's Liquor. They give a 5% discount for check or cash +some on case lots.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Sheeeeit... that ain't yankee fish. That's Western fish, which is OK for us. Yankee fish is like the famed bluefish from the East River, which bears an amazing similarity to water soaked Charmin.

Welcome to my home. Now get out.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

You're thinking Pacific salmon, there's also Atlantic salmon, but they're mostly farm bred these days.

East River blues taste that good do they? Improvement over the last one somebody put in front of me.

--John
J. Clarke wrote:

That may be because I'm reliably informed the East River bluefish IS water soaked Charmin. Maybe yours was a local variety known as a Striper. They have whitefish and brownfish as well. Hell, they even got silverfish. <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

We never had salmon as kids because it simply wasn't available, and I never cared that much for it until I finally learned how to cook it ... which is to hardly do so at all. ;)
I now have it about once a week.

It was such a rip-off to the store that I felt kind of bad at first, but that didn't last very long.
As each day passes I'm more and more convinced that penalizing stupidity is about the only way to discourage it, and if you're that damn stupid to keep repeating stupidity even after it costs you, you need to pay through the nose!
In Texas if you advertise something at a price, you must sell it at that price and even offer rain checks unless it is clearly stipulated that quantities are limited. In all three cases all that was limited was the time, as in "offer good thru mm/dd/yy".
SWMBO actually got two rain checks, each signed by a manager on duty at the time, and they were honored after only a very brief struggle. ;)
They haven't made that mistake again for a few months now ... and believe me, I'm watching.
It must be rampant ... I was listening to Tom Martino in the truck this morning and damned if they weren't talking about the same thing: "corporate retail stupidity"!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Try this Salmon recipe:
Salmon Wrap
Take a fillet of Salmon
Section in pieces small enough to wrap in Prosciutto     slices Wrap each salmon section in at least 2 Prosciutto slices.
Cook on a medium hi heat 2 to 3 minute a side in 2-tblspn olive oil 1-tsp butter.
Side serving suggestion
Microwave steamed asparagus or corn of the cob
French Bread and butter.
Markem http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /

Man, that sounds good!
Definitely going to give that a try. Thanks!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Yeah, is there anything bacon can't do?
--
Frank Stutzman

Frank Stutzman wrote:
> Yeah, is there anything bacon can't do?
Not much<G>.
Lew
Snip

Ok, I just got a image of your wife struggling on the floor with the manager of the store after having knocked down every can good on both sides of isle 13. ;~)

;~) Let me know if they do.

What leads you to believe that the gasoline is inferior to the $0.03USD more expensive gas? (Not 3%, note, but 3 cents more).
All the discount chains get their fuel from one of the major refineries.
It's all the same stuff, passes through the same pipelines to get to the terminals, then gets offloaded onto trucks for retail delivery.
scott

First off my referal to gasoline that is 3% more expensice refers to Name Brand gasoline.
Actually the better name brandstuff runs about 3% or 8 to 10 centh more than the no name brand. What leads me to believe that the cheap stuff is inferior? 20 years in the automotive business. While the gasoline for the most part starts out from the same hole in the ground many automobile manufacutrers are strongly suggesting that owners use a upper tier gasoline. IIRC Shell, Exxon and Chevron sell upper tier fuel. Many places sell gasoline and better ones sell gasoline with additives and better detergents that help to keep the injectors and carburetors clean.
For those that have worked in the service departments of a car dealership, this is not news.

The trip is a little more complex. It's not "all" the same stuff.
Take a look here to learn a bit about the Top Tier gasolines. http://www.toptiergas.com /
Oddly, back in the early 80's the local Texaco refinery was putting an additive in the gasoline that actually ate the galvanized plating off of the insides of the tanks. The plating flaked off and clogged tank socks, fuel filters, needle and seats in carburetors, injector nozzles and created a huge head ache for their customers buying Texaco gasoline. Our dealership alone probably cleaned out and billed hundreds of owners and they were promptly reimbursed for the repairs by Texaco. Texaco issued letters to the customers and dealerships regarding this matter. Only Texaco gas stations had that brief problem in the Houston area.

In california the price of gasoline is dependent upon neighborhood, not vendor.

Clearly not true in California.

I'm sorry, but anecdotal information is not sufficient. How about some citations from peer-reviewed publications that confirm your thesis?
[snip]

Of course not. Most car manufacturers have co-marketing agreements with the oil companies such that they'll favor one brand over another. There's nothing there but marketing.

Cite please? Note that the gasoline from the refinery is pumped via pipelines to the distribution terminals. Both name-brand and off-brand retailers are served from the same tank farm using product transported by the same pipeline.

I'm sorry, but a trade organization for the so-called top-tier POL vendors isn't my idea of unbiased information.

Nothing odd about it. Everyone makes mistakes. I'm not sure how this story has anything to do with the assertion that non-name-brand gasoline (which _is_ produced at the same refineries as the name-brand gasoline) is worse than name-brand.
scott

Same in Houston TX however within the neighborhood the different brand stations from top end to bottom end will still show about a 3% price difference. In some neighborhoods the local grocery store gas is more expensive than Chevron is in my neighborhood. It's all relative.

I really have no need to prove anything to you, check the link I posted and gather that information for your self. Infact, I dare you to look up information all by your self so that you will not claim Bias.

It's all a conspiracy right. I'm sorry but you have clearly demonstrated that you do not know enough to know that you don't know.

Ok, I give up. I provided proof, My Word and experience. You can go on believing what you want.

I thought I could simply lead you to the water. Texaco was the only one having that gasoline problem, If all the gasoline is the same as you say, all stations would have been having problems.
Nevermind, go on about your business.
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

To believe that all gas is equal in quality (not "grade") at the time of introduction to your tank is to be naive ...and the longer you use the inferior quality (not "grade"), the fewer "cites" are needed to prove that point.
Gas that is sold at the ex Texaco station, with the old Texaco sign covered with a tarp, for 25 cents a gallon less than the price at the Shell station across the street, is more not the same gas, guaranteed ... if anyone really believes that, I 've got some swap land for sale they may be interested in.
It's what happens down market that determines the difference. Many different additives, as well as fuel preservatives, and in differing proportions, are added by various parties at various points on the way to the gas pump. Couple that with the fact that gas deteroriates with storage and the longer the storage, generally the more fuel preservatives must be added to keep it useful as engine fuel, and the higher the incident of cross or water contamination.
Lower priced gas on the market at independent, no name stations may well have been stored much longer, is much more likely to have fewer detergents and deposit control additives, making for inferior quality, may even be close to the end of useful life, cross contaminated with other gases and/or water and the preservative content may be reaching a point to make it unmarketable, even though it may at one point was "served from the same tank farm".
AAMOF, after the hurricanes a couple of years ago, the government looked the other way while much of the above was done, on purpose, to keep the prices down.
There is good gas, inferior gas, and bad gas ... one tank of the latter is all you ever need to prove that without the need for "peer reviewed publications" and "cites".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

gasoline terminal. LARGE tanks filled with gasoline piped in and stored by Ashland Oil, no other company. A tank truck would come in and fill up with gas and then go to a series of pumps almost identical to a self serve gas pump. The driver would put the nozzel into the tank and swipe a "credit" card through the machine at which time the pump would dispense a preset mix and amount of additaves to the tank. The mix would depend on who it was going to, Gulf, Shell or Mom and Pop etc. and grade of gas. The people who ran the tank farm told me that you bought the same "gas" no matter who you bought gas from, but you could only get the additives from one brand depending on which additives you wanted. JMTCW
"Curran Copeland" wrote in message

That's true, because "gasoline" is basically a specific chemical compound.
But, as you noted, the difference, which can indeed effect "quality", is in what is added, or not added, down the line.
That said, as a kid we used to burn what was called "condensate" or "drip" (captured in 55 gal drums _at the well head_ from wells on the property) in the farm vehicles ... this "unrefined" gasoline obviously had NO additives whatsoever, but did the job.
AAMOF, my grandfather and uncles burned "drip" in their trucks to no ill effect that I can recall.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07