OT Rant

Page 5 of 7

Is it any more tragic than the fellow in cleveland who murdered 11 women?
Why aren't you ranting about him?
writes:

What is his name?
"Leon" asked::
Google "anthony sowell" or go straight to Cleveland Plain Dealer for details of this sexual predator and his trail of bodies.
Lew
"Leon" wrote:

The emotions of the moment, while allowing someone to vent the spleen, are seldom reliable.
Eye witness accounts are often later found to be in error.
Under the US system of justice, a person is assumed to be innocent until proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in a court of law.
So until a conviction has been rendered, "Suspect" is the label of choice of our system of justice.
The shooting rampage raises many questions, starting with "WHY".
"Why" was he promoted to Major just after receiving a less than favorable review at Walter Reed.
"Why" wasn't a red flag raised about his recent behavior changes which included giving away his possesions as well as dressing in Middle Eastern garb and passing out copies of the Koran?
"Why" didn't his attempt to seek legal counsel to avoid being sent into a war zone raise questions?
"Why" didn't the suicide of one of his patients at Walter Reed raise a flag that maybe he needed help.
Where was the physiotherapist to provide a means to unload his thoughts and provide help.
Thought that was a requirement of his position.
Does this unfortunate event some how point to an overall larger problem with our present military system?
Is the US trying to fight two (2) wars on the cheap without enough troops to get the job done?
Those are some very difficult questions; however, they need to be addressed by the military along with the FBI and others doing the investigation(s).
What can't be allowed is a rush to judgment that results in a "White Wash" of the tragic event.
Strange as it may seem to some, the fact that the suspect survived can be considered as a positive thing.
At least he is able to answer questions as long as he is alive.
Lew
Lew Hodgett said:

I've been reticent to join this fray until the smoke cleared. But that truly is THE question of the day.
Why did they miss all of the classic warning signs, instead choosing to plow ahead with plans that this guy obviously had issues with?
I'm not in the least defending the act, only the ignorance of his superiors and co-workers who ignored or dismissed fairly blatant behavior that would be clear to any 1st year psychology student.
Having dealt with a few over the years, I'm fairly convinced that those who enter the fields of psychology/psychiatry did so due to their own internal strife. Most grow and learn to deal with conflict, this dude obviously didn't.
Greg G.
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 04:21:01 -0500, the infamous Greg

The "why" is clear to me from his behavior: He flipped into fanatical Muslim mode. Y'know, "crazier" than normal, but totally premeditated mass murder and an act of terrorism, pure and simple.
As to why his superiors didn't notice, have you ever met a psychologist or psychiatrist? I think it's mandatory that you are broken to become a shrink. Every one I've known is downright odd, including my half-sister with her Stanford degree. When folks avoid you because you're weird, they hardly notice your changes. If he'd talked to his neighbors and let them know he was torn over being sent to the ME, they might have overlooked any extra oddness, don't you think?
I think it's sad that he survived. Now it will cost millions of dollars to try him and every one of the victims' families will be left with feelings of disgust, moreso than if he'd been killed, no matter what the outcome of the trial. And the perp'll be forced to house the guilt for the rest of his life, too. Sitrep: Lose/Lose.
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 07:13:38 -0800, Larry Jaques

Does the armed forces have a death penalty on conviction available? Does the fact that the US is in Iraq mean that this is war time under war rules? Good chance he'll end up being dead anyway. Certainly if he's imprisoned instead of executed, he'll have to be segregated. I'm sure other convicts would be lining up to break his neck and not give it a second thought.
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 06:28:55 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

That doesn't change the potential costs nor the lengthy trials and endless appeals mandated by our court systems, though it might be cheaper in the military courts. I had forgotten that aspect of it, it happens so seldom. Suicides are the soldiers' forte.

Instant karma works for me, but he'll be put into a psych facility, not a regular prison. You _know_ that, don't you? I mean, nice, sane poeple don't kill masses of people, do they? <deep sigh>
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

yes.
No. We haven't had a war since WW2.
> Good chance he'll end up being dead anyway. Certainly if

From what I understand, none of the warning signs were missed. They gave him bad reviews and moved him around. They did not miss the signs, they simply had to be PC. PC does not allow you to assume or treat differently a person that produces substandard results. You have to treat all people as you might treat your children. You can no longer treat fellow workers as adults, you might hurt thier feelings.

See above. You have to have proof that they will kill. Until they kill you don't have proof. You are not allowed to take precautions, that might hurt someones feelings.

You are probably absolutely correct , but, you should not say that because some one might get their feelings hurt. ;~)
Leon said:

Shit, they will Baker Act you in a heartbeat around here. You just have to scare the right people, or find the right people who have something to hide at your expense. In my ignorant youth I told some Kelly Bundy type she was a diamond in the rough and ended up in jail for arson, so anything is possible in this place - but I wasn't a Muslim...

There is a good chance that some kind of intervention, a candid conversation or a friend, could have stopped this. Based on what I've read, I don't think the guy set out to commit this crime - it was the pathology of rejection, fear and loneliness that set him off. There are plenty of sick, desperate people in the world.

Oh, shucks.
Greg G.

I can't find the link right now, but a new movie is being made. It was on Yahoo earlier this week. In the movie, they destroy the White House, the Vatican, many other recognizable buildings, but they skipped the Muslim building for fear of reprisal from the peace loving people.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Forgive me for being dense, Ed - but would you please clarify who "they" are and the relevance of this fictional work to the real events being discussed?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

I think he may be referring to the movie 2012 and the director's decision to avoid furthering already rampant anti-Muslim sentiment. Good thing it's not about the Crusades... those peace loving military expeditions which exterminated Muslims in the name of Christianity.
Oy Vey!
Greg G.

The "they" is the movie producers. It has to do with the political correctness discussed in the Muslim situation. The producers find it OK to destroy everything the rest of the world holds sacred, but will not touch the Muslim temple. They fear a fatwa. If we are going to fictionally destroy everything, Muslims should not be held to a different standard.
The link is from Yahoo and is on my work computer history. I don't see it here.

I'm sure you're right, but the bigger problem is that deciding what's a threat and what isn't is not an exact science. And, even if it was, digging deep enough with every person who displayed the occasional symptoms to indicate trouble would mean thousands and thousands of examinations with only a few of them bearing fruit. ~ Not a likely scenario. Too much manpower needed.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com said:

You could well be right. If we survive this human experiment, and especially if we don't, it will all be over one day. The grim reaper waits for us all. I'm beginning to have serious doubts about the ability of mankind to ever deal with life and love in a serious, productive manner. It's all looking like a pipe dream. Now where did I park that bike...
Greg G.
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 06:49:55 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

The 3 most likely causes are:
1) Human error. It's hard to judge the changes in others. HS = 20/20. 2) Complacency (if not redundant) and 3) Potential costs, which brought about our current policies
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

Jack has little regard as to how anyone is targeted, just as long as it isn't him.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com said:

;-) Sounds a bit like the chickenhawks of the Pentagon.
Greg G.