OT: Now THAT was some knee-slapworthy hilarity (Snow)

Page 1 of 3
Got shat on big time. Just a foot, mind you, but some it was wet and back-breaking. Now it's all blowy out there and most roads in and out of Sarnia are closed.
There's a wee bottle of brandy I've been saving for an event just like this, that and a couple of books I have been meaning to read.
The horror, the horror...
Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Ah the memories.
10F above and a foot of partly cloudy on the ground with more to come thanks to 20 knot winds.
That's my Ohio home town's weather the past couple of days.
Meanwhile here in the land of fruits and nuts, it was 90F yesterday but struggled to only make it to 85F outside my window today.
Not to worry, rain and temps around 60F by the weekend.
Still beats being up to your armpits in partly cloudy.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The local weather forecast is calling for up to an additional 2' of snow by Wednesday morning. This is on top of the 3' - 4' we received last week. The heaviest snow is predicted for an area a few miles northeast of me but you know how unperdicable lake effect bands are.
NOAA weather discussion for the Buffalo area:
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product ¯D&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

That's why I live in the Yukon. We have a much better climate and the snow is usually the light fluffy kind; and never more that 3-4 inches at once.
Luigi
Add pictures here
✖

You pay for that by lack of light in the winter. (And too much in summer <grin>). And you cheat by flying to Middle or South America whenever it suits you.
Hi Luigi!!! <VBG>
--
Best regards
Han

So, WeeGee, are you going to be telling us of -your- Banana Belt climate now, too? <snort>
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖

Well, ackshally, now that you mention it, Whitehorse is in the Yukon's banana belt. It's in Wikipedia, so it's gotta be true. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_belt
Also, we are one of Canada's cities with the most comfortable climate. Yup, up there with Vancouver & Victoria despite our cold, according to Environment Canada.
Luigi
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:31:06 -0800 (PST), Luigi Zanasi

Proof that any marketing scheme, no matter how assinine, can be sold so someone, somewhere, for a lotta money. Visit beautiful downtown tropical Yellasnow(tmLJ), buy a $5 home for just $759k! Located right in the middle of Canada's Banana Belt.

Bright, always-sunny Vancouver, BC? OhhhhhhhhhK.
I guess that the drier winds are a lot more comfy than humid, heavy snows, so I hope you enjoy it. I'll pass, thanks. <shudder>
LJ, who doesn't do "minus" weather aTall.
P.S: Is it true that many gays move to banana belts for the obvious reason? <w,w,n,n, kwim?>
-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes
Add pictures here
✖
[snipped for effect]

You said a mouthful there, Lew...and I don't mean that in a BAD way, you unnerstannn. <G>
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/14/10 12:02 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Got maybe a centimeter on the ground here in Toronto, but damn is it cold out.
--
Froz...

✖

Yeah, it's a pain (literally) when it's mostly too damned cold for it to snow. Don't like it when it gets this cold, but at least it's easier for me to get around. The only other advantage is that I get places faster in my rush to get back inside somewhere that's warm.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/14/10 8:03 AM, Upscale wrote:

Had to run a few errands yesterday, about four stops, heater in the car wasn't blowing any hot air, til I was pulling back into my driveway. Having a new oven delivered today, here's hoping the cord I took off the old one will fit the new one and I don't have to out out all day.
--
Froz...

✖
On 12/14/10 8:16 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

That was surprising, came with a cord, prewired for 240/60 Hz, four wire circuit. Plug and go, already gave away the old cordset and stove to a guy down the road who disposes of it.
--
Froz...

✖

People are going to die around here unless we can get those people out of there real soon.
http://tinyurl.com/24yvpyr
Add pictures here
✖

You Canadians are going soft. In the old days, they would have just built an igloo and burned seal blubber to stay warm. :)
Incidents like this are a perfect argument for carrying some basic emergency supplies in your vehicle. Top of the list would be some warm clothing and a sleeping bag. Also some emergency rations of some kind.
Add pictures here
✖
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in wrote

It reminded me of a storm in NY City that left cars stranded on the Grand Central Pkwy and LIE, maybe 1979 or so. We went cross country skiing on the GCP the next day (well, the service road)
--
Best regards
Han
On Dec 14, 10:18 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Yup, the place is just crawling with seals..LOL

Some Hakkapeliitta 5's on a Subaru help too. We never venture out without a full tank of gas, rations, clothing etc. That particular stretch of road has bit many in the ass over the years, it is notoriously bad... and goes bad fast. Nice this morning though, warmed up the windchill to -9°F, I'm wearing my shorts!
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:18:22 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

A good arguement for checking the weather and road reports too.
If you live anywhere in the south-western Ontario snow belt and do not have to go out, STAY HOME. If you DO NOT live in the SouthWestern Ontario Snow Belt, DO NOT GO THERE. Some parts of the "classic" snow-belt have dodged the bullet so far - the area around Kitchener/Waterloo/Elmira/Elora/Fergus/Drayton/Cambridge and Guelph is colder than cold, and slippery in spots from the slop we got over the weekend - bur not much snow and reasonable visibility.
Looking out the window you'd think it was a good day for a drive.
If you MUST drive, carry warm clothes, keep the tank well over half full, carry candles and a lighter, boots, shovel, flashlight, and emergency rations. And for heaven's sake - SNOW TIRES!!!!!!!!!!
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/14/10 9:22 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I spoke too soon, white fluffy shit is falling from the sky.
--
Froz...

✖

People initially didn't stop because of the amount of snow, they were simply blinded by 60-70 Kph winds..THEN they got snowed in. You get a wind, blowing from the North along the length of a still warmish lake and those winds are going to bring shit... LOTS of it.
Add pictures here
✖