OT: Now THAT was some knee-slapworthy hilarity (Snow)

Got shat on big time. Just a foot, mind you, but some it was wet and back-breaking. Now it's all blowy out there and most roads in and out of Sarnia are closed.

There's a wee bottle of brandy I've been saving for an event just like this, that and a couple of books I have been meaning to read.

The horror, the horror...

Reply to
Robatoy

----------------------------------------- Ah the memories.

10F above and a foot of partly cloudy on the ground with more to come thanks to 20 knot winds.

That's my Ohio home town's weather the past couple of days.

Meanwhile here in the land of fruits and nuts, it was 90F yesterday but struggled to only make it to 85F outside my window today.

Not to worry, rain and temps around 60F by the weekend.

Still beats being up to your armpits in partly cloudy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Got maybe a centimeter on the ground here in Toronto, but damn is it cold out.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

The local weather forecast is calling for up to an additional 2' of snow by Wednesday morning. This is on top of the 3' - 4' we received last week. The heaviest snow is predicted for an area a few miles northeast of me but you know how unperdicable lake effect bands are.

NOAA weather discussion for the Buffalo area:

Nova

Yeah, it's a pain (literally) when it's mostly too damned cold for it to snow. Don't like it when it gets this cold, but at least it's easier for me to get around. The only other advantage is that I get places faster in my rush to get back inside somewhere that's warm.

Reply to
Upscale

Had to run a few errands yesterday, about four stops, heater in the car wasn't blowing any hot air, til I was pulling back into my driveway. Having a new oven delivered today, here's hoping the cord I took off the old one will fit the new one and I don't have to out out all day.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

People are going to die around here unless we can get those people out of there real soon.

Robatoy

On Dec 14, 1:18=A0am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote: [snipped for effect]

You said a mouthful there, Lew...and I don't mean that in a BAD way, you unnerstannn.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

an igloo and burned seal blubber to stay warm. :)

Incidents like this are a perfect argument for carrying some basic emergency supplies in your vehicle. Top of the list would be some warm clothing and a sleeping bag. Also some emergency rations of some kind.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:4d078ac5$0$866$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

It reminded me of a storm in NY City that left cars stranded on the Grand Central Pkwy and LIE, maybe 1979 or so. We went cross country skiing on the GCP the next day (well, the service road)

Reply to
Han

Yup, the place is just crawling with seals..LOL

Some Hakkapeliitta 5's on a Subaru help too. We never venture out without a full tank of gas, rations, clothing etc. That particular stretch of road has bit many in the ass over the years, it is notoriously bad... and goes bad fast. Nice this morning though, warmed up the windchill to -9=B0F, I'm wearing my shorts!

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
FrozenNorth

People initially didn't stop because of the amount of snow, they were simply blinded by 60-70 Kph winds..THEN they got snowed in. You get a wind, blowing from the North along the length of a still warmish lake and those winds are going to bring shit... LOTS of it.

Reply to
Robatoy

That was surprising, came with a cord, prewired for 240/60 Hz, four wire circuit. Plug and go, already gave away the old cordset and stove to a guy down the road who disposes of it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

A good arguement for checking the weather and road reports too.

If you live anywhere in the south-western Ontario snow belt and do not have to go out, STAY HOME. If you DO NOT live in the SouthWestern Ontario Snow Belt, DO NOT GO THERE. Some parts of the "classic" snow-belt have dodged the bullet so far - the area around Kitchener/Waterloo/Elmira/Elora/Fergus/Drayton/Cambridge and Guelph is colder than cold, and slippery in spots from the slop we got over the weekend - bur not much snow and reasonable visibility.

Looking out the window you'd think it was a good day for a drive.

If you MUST drive, carry warm clothes, keep the tank well over half full, carry candles and a lighter, boots, shovel, flashlight, and emergency rations. And for heaven's sake - SNOW TIRES!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

One of the worst sections of road I have EVER driven on in a snow storm - and I've driven in a LOT of bad winter weather.

The sun can be shining 20 feet above ground and you can be in a blinding blizzard at ground level, up to your armpits in heavy snow.

Reply to
clare

They brought in the military...(BOTH helicopters ). They are airlifting older, gass-less people who did not find shelter in sleeper- cab trucks..people from all over are snowmobiling gas and food... what a frikkin mess. Now comes the real crazyness.. abandoned cars blocking the roads all over the place and, I'm sure, they'll find some of those owners in farmers' fields. From the air it looks like 9/11 in reverse.. no traffic into Canada here this time. LOL.. one local DJ was yakking his fool head off about Sarnia even being mentioned on CNN!!

Reply to
Robatoy

That's why I live in the Yukon. We have a much better climate and the snow is usually the light fluffy kind; and never more that 3-4 inches at once.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Saaaay, isn't that area inside the lovely, warm, Banana Belt you were telling us about?

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How 'bout them banana trees?