Knee Protectors

Now I know at least one reason for needing knee protectors. Even despite wearing a heavy pair of jeans, I've managed to take off a 2p sized circle of skin on each knee yesterday, whilst crawling about re-felting the summerhouse. Was using crawl boards for the most part. Not had yukky weeping grazes like this since coming off my bike as a kid! :(

Must look on the bright side though, at least I didn't come through the summerhouse roof! And I no longer need live in fear of getting up one morning and seeing felt blowing in the wind whilst it's absolutely p1ssing down!

Reply to
John Whitworth

The knee protectors I was using last week were really uncomfortable and kept slipping down. The elastic around the back of the knee is what hurt after a while. I suppose I'll have to design and make my own, as usual with tools and equipment. My safety goggles fog up, and ones that don't, let stuff fly into the gaps.

Reply to
Matty F

I've pretty happy with Dickies trousers with the kneepad pockets. The pads are replaceable foam and whilst not as good as gel pads do seem quite comfortable. And they do away with the straps problem. Kinder to what you are kneeing on than shell pads too - eg marmox, wood floors etc.

As for the trousers, I bought 2 pairs 2 years ago and despite heavy use (concreting, tiling much on knees work) they are holding up. The only problem is the zips are weak, or to be precise, the zip toggles fall off.

Despite that, they're the best work trousers I've found to date. Could do with more leg pockets though (only one).

Reply to
Tim Watts

All of my overalls have built in knee pad pockets which use removeable inserts similar to these

slip into a pocket in the overalls/bib & brace/trousers and you don't know they are there until you kneel down. No straps & total comfort.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

After TMH's comments recently I bought some trousers with pockets for kneepads.

Definitely the bees knees!

Reply to
<me9

I seldom need kneepads, and have to look respectable in public. I don't want to have to keep changing clothes. I'll invent something. Trousers with knee pockets would be ideal except for the look of them.

I need kneepads to kneel on floors that have 20mm high battens nailed on them every 50mm, while I'm poking my head down into a dark inspection hatch trying to measure earth leakage without giving myself a 1000 volt shock. I have an LED headlamp that works rather well, otherwise I'd be trying to hold a torch as well.

Reply to
Matty F

What is it with knees and knee pads?

When I was in my 20s-30s I never possessed a pair; not sure if I was even aware of their existence, and certainly had no issues about kneeling for long periods without any knee-related aggro.

But these days, in middle-age, the old knee-pads are an absolutely essential part of my d-i-y armamentarium. I can appreciate that as you get older, bits of you are going to wear out and hurt a bit, but I don't get how that works here. It seems to be the front of my knees (ie the skin?) which hurts, rather than the joints (which is what you'd expect to be causing grief) - and in any case, why would kneeling on something soft prevent joint ache?

Just curious.

Reply to
Lobster

Middle age - spread ...

I bet you weigh a bit more now than you did in your 20's.

But I agree it's the skin and area on the fron't of the knee that really complains. The joints just get a bit stiff if I kneel for a long time, without really moving the joint.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

> They slip into a pocket in the overalls/bib& brace/trousers and you don't

Hmm, good idea that - had not though of overalls with knee pad pockets. The Dickies are ok, but they are difficult to find in my size.

I shall have to go investigate our local army and navy surplus place.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, I find pads make any sort of activity that involves getting up and down on your knees that much "easier" - i.e. you can just do it without any real discomfort, whereas without there is a disincentive to do it, even if you can't exactly explain what hurts / is uncomfortable!

Reply to
John Rumm

They all are. Sew pockets onto the knees of your trousers instead and slip small pads into those. A slice of foam camping mat is great, especially if you cut a few grooves across it to make it more flexible.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

I find the extra insulation from the kneepad keeps my knees warmer and thus more flexible/painfree.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Only a tad... ;-)

They're great until the time you plonk yourself down on your knees with the usual thud, only to realise too late that you've forgotten to strap the bloody things on yet. Christ that hurts...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

absolutely

Aaaahhhh just like me then. B-)

without

Well you know in the back of your mind that kneeling for any length of time will be uncomfortable at some point so you just try to avoid it.

I've tried straps ons but as others have said the straps cut into the back of your legs. I'd rather kneel.

As much as kneeling on a bit of Wickes (seriously) sharp sand? That stuff looks to have bits very similar to broken glass in it. They are even painful when knelt on on top of bit of foam flooring used as a kneeling pad.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

>>> They slip into a pocket in the overalls/bib& brace/trousers and you

I too am a FB :-)

Annoying that SF, TS etc only seem to go up to 40" waist. Builders are supposed to be FB's after all.

I wear Portwest 9 pocket Bib & Brace which are available up to XXXL and have knee pad pockets.

from the knee pads I like these because of the pockets & because they avoid builders bottom - the number 1 turn off for female customers - and not too hot to wear.

An added point - having knee pads permanently in the pockets saves the excruciating pain involved when you inadvertently kneel on a screw!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman