OT: Now THAT was some knee-slapworthy hilarity (Snow)

Y'all made the Weather Channel with some shots from them helos.

We had an inch or two, can not really tell how much as is blew sideways during and after the snow. It was 4.1 f this morning and freezing rain for tomorrow afternoon.

Layed in 100 LBS of salt as we have a nice long (uphill) driveway.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Ha! Nooo, that's 20 miles further south. It was a 25-year aberration.

and

What's with those temps in Florida? Surely you know that Florida is further south than Sarnia, Ontario? :-)

Reply to
Robatoy

Luigi Zanasi wrote in news:2451edf8-1024-4998- snipped-for-privacy@o23g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

You pay for that by lack of light in the winter. (And too much in summer ). And you cheat by flying to Middle or South America whenever it suits you.

Hi Luigi!!!

Reply to
Han

So, WeeGee, are you going to be telling us of -your- Banana Belt climate now, too?

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Globular Swarming is the culprit, I'll bet! AGWK Kills!

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

some pics:

Robatoy

closer to a built up area so those drifts were less dangerous.

The banana crop is likely farked this year.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

low or they did not have sufficient clothing, a fatality would be very possible. I guess commuting near Sarnia is a high risk activity.

Where is your civic pride and sense of public service Robatoy? Why aren't you out there rescuing these poor people?? ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

No reports of death, and everyone appears to be accounted for, or no reports of missing persons, at least so far. Anyone that goes too far in a vehicle outside of a major city in Canada, who doesn't have a first aid kit, some food, and some warm clothes is a moron IMHO.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

FrozenNorth wrote: ...

Doesn't make any difference about Canada or not; anywhere there's winter weather and particularly wind is susceptible to the same problems. Virtually every year there will be those who do such stupidity around here as well... :(

In general, those who either are from large metro areas or eastern where wind isn't so predominant factor in winter storms are the worst as they have no conception of first there being places it's hundred or more miles to an exit, even, and there may be nothing at that point, anyway; and second, that blowing 30-50 mph w/ snow is what we tend to expect to happen as opposed to watching snow pile up on top of things as it floats prettily downward...

Reply to
dpb

I didn't mean to imply that the only morons are Canadian. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Police used over a dozen towing companies, each with their own pounds, and there's a whole lot of people wandering aimlessly along these city streets wondering: "where's my car....where's my car..where my CAR??"

City fathers (and mothers) are busy compiling a list. At least 3 people have tried to lay claim on the same Cayenne Turbo...LOL (okay, I made that up...) If anybody can lose 300 cars, we can.

Reply to
Robatoy

some pics:

link below will take you to WKYC, a station in Cleveland showing pics of the Cleveland light house at the mouth of the Cuyahoga river on Lake Erie.

It was my home port for several years.

Lew

Lew Hodgett

Maybe there is an unclaimed truck full of beer and bacon. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Last big 'un around here the National Guard guys had a heyday--something approaching 100 vehicles were simply run over and crushed or otherwise trashed by their toys.

Fortunately, none were occupied at the time--it was never clear whether they even thought about such things being a possibility at the time or whether they were simply looking for thrills and the chance was too good to pass up...supposedly they've now been "trained"; time will tell...

Reply to
dpb

I use to live in the Chicago area, The Blizzard of 68 happen while I was in grammar school great fun, the one in 79 (which affected the Mayoral election, Bilandic lost after saying "my streets are clear what's the problem" or at least that is what his opponent got people to believe).

Mark

Reply to
Markem

movie.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Markem" wrote

Something similar happened in Seattle. Two years ago, there was some cold weather. a bunch of snow, and no plan to deal with it. The mayor at that time, a clueless moron, (Mayor Nichols) proclaimed that there was no problem and everything was fine. He gave the the snow effort a B grade. Most of the city was paralyzed. He would not allow salt to be used on the road because it would cause an ecological disaster. The sand he spread everywhere clogged up all the storm drains afterwards. It took weeks to clean them all out.

It turns out that some dedicated ass kissers personally plowed the road between the mayor's house and city hall. That is why he thought the roads were clear. The person who was supposed to be in charge was on vacation in Portland, Oregon. When asked why she didn't come home to deal with the mess, she said she could phone it in. Because she did not drive a snowplow or truck, her presence was not required.

Well, the fallout was predictable. The mayor could not get re-elected. Seattle ended up electing a Sierra club lawyer, an extreme environmental wacko. The idiot in charge of the city's response was fired.

This area got a mini version of this event a week or so ago. Just 3 - 5 days of cold and some snow. Guess what? They screwed up again. But unlike last time, various officials stepped up and admitted the mistakes and went to work on some solutions. They bought new type of salt. They got some new equipment for their trucks, etc. They worked out new communications and procedures.

They had a big press conference in the last day or so to announce how they are going to do it different next time. I don't think it was because they gave a damn, competence or they really cared. They just know the last time the problem was not dealt with directly, everybody got fired. Hey, if at first you don't succeed, ...

So a little sense of self preservation will actually lead to some better service from our government. It doesn't happen often, but in this particular case, it did.

And, of course, the media turned it all into some kind of major event/soap opera.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

movie.

That is the first time I can remember the Cleveland light house being ice covered; however, it is quite common for a couple of light houses on Lake Superior.

At the moment can't remember which ones.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I wish I had a high-res shot of that... absolutely freaky and creepy and wonderful. Perfect for a fish & chip joint I'm courting for a sign commission.

Reply to
Robatoy