OT: music list

Page 1 of 2
Ok, you audiophiles, I just received an iPod shuffle for my annual birth celebration. Of course, now that I'm faced with loading it full of music, I can't come up with what stuff I want in there. I can easily listen to the radio and think "Hey! *That* song definately!", but sitting here in front of the pc, I'm brainlocked. First up is to load the workout folder.
So, what's on your ipod, mp3 etc... that *you* consider a must have?
jc

I would have to make you a list every day for at least a month.
This morning it was a whole series of Paganini's caprices. Yesterday was Tom Waits Day. Eagles' new CDs two days ago. Cohen's The Future, Magical Mystery Tour (Penny Lane and such) interspersed with a generous helping of Rubber Soul and Revolver. Gary Moore's Ballads and Blues is always a favourite.... in fact, start with that one. There is always room for John Prine and...Dan Reeder's Work Song is a MUST!
"Robatoy" wrote

Have you seen "Across the Universe" yet?
Watched it with some college kids the other night and was surprised how much my 22 year old daughter "got' it ... then again, she's known every Beatles song by heart since she was six.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

My 14-year old daughter brought a friend over to the house so they could 'hack' her iPod Touch. He walked into my home office and I had no idea I was going to have visitors, so the volume on the stereo was 'up there'. 'Dear Prudence' was playing and he went: ' COOL!! Beatles!" I, of course had to show him my stack of Beatles vinyl. So, one of these days we are going to transcribe the vinyl to MP3's using this little gadget:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/staxua7.jpg On a Linn Sondek of course. My mac takes the pre-amp out straight in and doesn't drop a bit in the process.
You already know this, Swing.. but Glenn Miller said it best: "when it sounds good, it is good."
Oh, and another little anecdote... I was playing some old Who.. and one of the cuts was Won't Get Fooled Again... my kid comes storming in wanting to know where I found that incredible song (she's a CSI fan, btw)... I showed her the date on the LP's label.. she laughed and said: "stop doing that to me...LOL"
Good shit then... good shit now.... and THAT is why we still listen to Vivaldi and such.
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:37:16 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

So you need a Shure Hyper Elliptical Type 3 for that bad boy? Got one in a 1/2 inch mount sitting around with about 30 hours on it.
Mark

How much? (Reply to my email addy here... it works.)

I just watched it. The Let It Be church choir at the funeral was just an amazing interpretation. Very moving.
'For The Benefit of Mr. Kite' was the first time in several decades that I wondered what that would be like after smoking a doobie. The imagery in my mind back in the Sgt Pepper days was more interesting and vivid...I think...LOL
Thanks for the heads-up (no pun intended).

I would have to make you a list every day for at least a month.
This morning it was a whole series of Paganini's caprices. Yesterday was Tom Waits Day. Eagles' new CDs two days ago. Cohen's The Future, Magical Mystery Tour (Penny Lane and such) interspersed with a generous helping of Rubber Soul and Revolver. Gary Moore's Ballads and Blues is always a favourite.... in fact, start with that one. There is always room for John Prine and...Dan Reeder's Work Song is a MUST!
How could I have forgotten Prine. geez......
Gonna go load up an illegal smile

Funny how that song used to identify Prine...he is sooo much better now.
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:42:48 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Same here.
I've got Bach to Gershwin to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy to Little Feat to Earth, Wind, and Fire to Hot Chocolate to Joe Bonnamassa to Michael Hills Blues Mob to The Kinks to Walter Trout to Dave Matthews to Judas Priest to Iron Maiden to Van Halen (REAL Van Halen, with DLR! ) to Megadeth to Godsmack to Iron Maiden (right up to 2007) to Guano Apes to Green Jelly to Chicago to Michael Schenker to Coheed and Cambria to The Cars to Rammstein to Armin Van Buren to Billy Joel to the Tubes to Alice in Chains to Buckwheat Zydeco Dream Theater to Avenged Sevenfold to Riot to Blackfoot to Mighty Bosstones to Chris Issak to Mushroomhead to Gary Hoey to Skindread to AFI to Dickey Betts...
No Cher or Barbara Streisand, not that there's anything wrong with that! <G>
Then there are podcasts!
On Mar 21, 8:59am, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

Noooooo Chere...noooo Celine Dijon [sic] a couple of Barbara Strident songs though, that girls voice is like butter...
I saw The Tubes live at Maple Leaf Gardens in TO, truly one of the best shows ever. Maybe because they were so far ahead of their time in terms of theatrical presentation. Elton John's Yellow Brick Road tour was just an amazing show too. . . . . .
Then there is The Who------> the absolute best, most honest rock band in history. Even though Moon has been dead for 30 years, and Entwistle gone for 6 (holy shit, is that really already 6 years ago?) The Who still kicks ass. I saw them last year with Paladino on bass and Zak Starkey on drums. Just a great show. Those guys make The Rolling Stones look like for what they really are....looooooosers....

Noooooo Chere...noooo Celine Dijon [sic] a couple of Barbara Strident songs though, that girls voice is like butter...
SWMBO cleans the house while blasting Cher (ugh). This is usually the time I find an excuse to plane some really wide white oak boards with some really dull blades in the planer. Even then, it's not enough sometimes.
jc

Music off of my CD's.
joe wrote:

Here are the the things that are always on my mp3. Others come and go weekly, but this is my basic list. Mostly rock and blues with some classical, opera, jazz, country and R&B. I've got plenty of room, so the list grows all the time.
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black Andrea Bocelli - Amor Kathleen Battle - Mozart: Opera Arias Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills Billy Idol - Greatest Hits Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper Blues Traveler - Blues Traveler Bonnie Raitt - The Best of Bonnie Brad Paisley - Mud On The Tires Bruce Springstein - Magic Buddy Guy - Buddy's Baddest Buddy Guy - Alone and Acoustic Cecilia Bartoli - Chant d'Amour Cecilia Bartoli - The Vivaldi Album Chris Duarte - Texas Sugar Strat Magik Creedence Clearwater Revival - The best of Dan Fogelberg - The Wild Places Danielia Cotton - Small White Town Dave Koz - Saxophonic Diana Krall - The very best of Dire Straits - The best of Elvin Bishop - Struttin' My Stuff Eric Clapton - Slowhand George Thorogood - The best of Guns n' Roses - greatest hits Jeff Healey - Platinum and Gold Sammy Hagar - Unboxed Heart - Heart Heart - Dreamboat Annie Jackson Browne - The Pretender Janis Joplin - Pearl Jethro Tull - Aqualung Jethro Tull - Living In The Past John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom John Lee Hooker - The Best of Johnny Winter - Blues to the Bone Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Ledbetter Heights KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight Little Feat - The Best Of Los Lobos - Wolf Tracks Lynyrd Skynyrd - All Time Greatest Hits Macy Gray - The Very Best Of Mario Frangoulis - Sometimes I dream Mark Knopfler - Kill To Get Crimson Mississippi John Hurt - The Complete Studio Recordings Molly Hatchet - Molly Hatchet Muddy Waters - The Anthology Nickelback - Silver Side Up Nirvana - Nevermind The Outlaws - Wanted! Ozzy - The Essential Ozzy Pat Benatar - True Love Pat Benatar - Crimes of Passion Pink Floyd - The Wall Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon R.E.M. - In Time Rush - Moving Pictures Rush - Exit Stage Left Rory Gallagher - Big Guns Robin Trower - Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky Is Crying Santana - Abraxas Santana - Santana Santana - Santana III Santana - Supernatural The Staple Singers - Greatest Hits Steely Dan - Aja Steely Dan - The Royal Scam Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream The Doors - The Doors Ted Nugent - Great Gonzos Ted Nugent - Tooth, Fang and Claw Van Halen - Diver Down The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger

This was a terrible movie.
S.
I only have a Z-pod. It is filled with all of the music by Frank Zappa. All Frank, all the time. ("Not a spec of cereal")
Marc
Is that a real iPod or is that a Sears iPod?

"joe" wrote

Where would you like to start? Out of approximately 200 GB of mp3's, I've only got my favorite 8,066 on my iPod ... basically I just put it on shuffle and let it rip.
Yes, I'm serious! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

Well, it's topical to suggest a 'woodworking' playlist with
hammer dulcimer planechant The Carpenters The Lumberjack Song and some version of 'Hole in the Bucket' is always pleasant
<http://ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden/php/music/Hole_In_The_Bucket.mp3

MUST haves? That's a tough one. Here are some of the best on my list right now, at any rate:
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner, and something newer (Maybe Alice) John McLaughlin, Al DiMiola, Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco The Beautiful South - Welcome To The Beautiful South Miles Davis - Kind of Blue Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners The Arcade Fire - Funeral Rush - Moving Pictures Supertramp - Crime of the Century Spirit of the West - Save This House Nick Cave - Abatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus Mozart - Requiem Mass in Dmin Beethoven - Missa Solemnis Ingrid Karklins - A Darker Passion Daniel Lanois - Shine
As an aside, ripping 700+ CDs to flac, fixing the tags, and then ripping to MP3, is a painful project! Tapes and vinyl are underway now, but because the music plays in realtime, seems less onerous.
Colin