OT:Letter to Southern Califonia newspaper that was not printed

Page 1 of 5

My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the Orange County Register which, of course, was not printed. So I decided to "print" it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Please pass it along if you feel so inclined. Thank you.
(signed) Dave LaBonte
Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:
Dear Editor:
So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statute of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.
Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer.
Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. S ome would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.
They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity. Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany, Italy, France and Japan. None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from.
They were Americans fighting Hilter, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people. When we liberated France, no one in those villages was looking for the French-American or the German-American or the Irish-American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.
And here we are in 2006 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900s deserve better than that for the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has be-come a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.
And for that suggestion about taking down the Statute of Liberty, it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.
(signed) Rosemary LaBonte
P.S. Pass this on to everyone you know!!! KEEP THIS LETTER MOVING!! I hope this letter gets read by millions of people all across the nation!! ~~ r.p.
"Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow." - Mahatma Gandhi
snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote in
<a whole lot of nonsense>
Here is my "nonsense":
The Boston Teaparty and the Revolutionary War were conducted by a bunch of terrorists against the established lawfull government. Many people immigrated to the US under false pretenses (WWII war criminals, mafiosi, etc).
Like the import of illegal drugs, import of illegal workers is (in large part) organized by home town demand. Who is doing the day labor in your town, local high school and college graduates?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Sorry Han. The founding fathers were not terrorists. They didn't seek to indiscriminantly kill innocent men, women and children. Unlike terrorists, they didn't plant bombs in shops, churchs, or town centers to kill anyone, because they had moral values and common decency still shared by the vast majority of Americans today. They valued human life and only attacked legitimate targets of the British colonial govt. Last time I checked, the Boston Teaparty you cited consisted of throwing tea in the harbor, not deliberately killing innocent civilians to create terror. To compare them to true terrorists is offensive and can only give aid and comfort to an enemy that is out to destroy us all.
As for the OP's wife's letter, it sounds spot on to me. I hope she sends it to other papers so that it will get published.

Your argument is as invalid as your email address.
There were lots of burning down of buildings and shootings and lynchings of folks on the wrong side of the argument. This is discussed weekly on South Carolina Educational radio with great relish. TB

During the revolutionary war American patriots did not indiscriminantly kill innocent men, women and children. And if that is what SC Educational radio is claiming, then they are a bunch of commie pinko bedwetters, like you.

I think you'll find that men, women and children were indiscriminately murdered. The history books here in the UK cover it quite well. Perhaps the history books in the USA decided not to cover that part of their history.
Like who was the first president of the United States, we all know it was John Hanson (1781 - 1782), so why does The White House's web site list it as George Washington.
So if The White House can't get a simple thing like that right, what chance is there that any other information available in the USA is correct!!!!
Why is it always the same, as soon as someone starts to lose an argument on the internet they resort to name calling....
Graham

Yes, indeed they were -- by *British* troops.

Our history books cover the atrocities committed by *your* side quite nicely, thank you very much -- but I'll bet yours don't.
--
Regards,

Oh dear, someone else that clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
After extensive research by American historians, there is NO evidence of any British troops committing acts of atrocity.
If you want to know about history, ask a historian not Hollywood...
Are you saying that Mel Gibson's version of the U.S. revolution was portayed inaccurately...?
I'm shocked...
Seems more than just a bit hypocritical for citizens of a nation who committed what was then considered treason to condemn the actions of others in seeking their own freedoms, while the deliberate targeting of civilians is reprehensible, lets not forget that one of the former Prime Ministers of Israel was a terrorist according to modern definitions. If Hezbollah and Hamas are terrorists and killers, and there's little doubt that they are, what does it say about their enemies when they kill innocent people to pursue the bad guys? It's only collateral damage when it's someone else's family I suppose.
I think that Jesus fella got it pretty close to right, let those who haven't sinned chuck the first rock...
All the condemnations from all the hypocrites in all the world is simply rationalising the killing of people who typically have nothing to do with the actions of those doing the killing, that's true on all sides of all conflicts.
John E.
wrote:

history.
about.
any

Your'e not seriously suggesting that because someone committed a horrendous act sometime in the past people living today are not entitled to condemn horrendous acts, are you?

Hezbollah deliberately uses civilians as shields for their missile launches. They wear civilian clothing. They violate recognized international rules of warfare.
Israel does not. Israel warns civilians abot impending attacks, to the point of phoning people in Gaza to tell them to get out of the building.
The civilian deaths in Lebanon are a direct result of how Hezbollah behaves.
I wasn't "suggesting" anything, I was making an observation about hypocrisy. Something the the entire world needs to better examine. Like the hypocrisy of a nation built on immigration trying to blame immigrants for all the problems in society.
As for condemning horrendous acts, I'm all for it, let's all condemn all horrendous acts, those committed by our enemies and those committed by our allies.
I think you'll find that if you look at things objectively that pretty much every nation has from time to time committed some pretty atrocious acts against fellow humans, the U.S. isn't immune, nor are other so called civilised nations.
All I'm saying is that nobody's hands are clean. Sure some are dirtier than others, that's not really the point is it? Does it make you feel better if you can say that you committed fewer atrocities than did your enemy? Claiming the moral high ground when you aid and abet the killing of innocent civilians is a pretty tough act to try and pull off. That applies to all sides of all conflicts. And the sooner we realise that, the sooner the world might just be better off. Unless everyone is happy living a life of denial and rationalisation.
Which seems to be the case, sadly enough.
As for using civilians, what would you have them do? While not excusing their atrocious behaviour, they're outnumbered, outgunned, etc. They fight the people that they consider their enemies the only way they can, seems to me that there were some people here in what's known as the U.S. who wore civilian clothes, hid behind trees and walls to shoot down their enemies too. They did what they did to whom they did the only way they knew how. It's all wrong. To the islamic militants of the world, it's a fight for what they consider their souls, you don't have to agree with them to understand that.
John E.
wrote:

others
of
are,
else's

Of course that isn't what is happening. Nobody (okay few but the congenital idiots) are saying anything about those who are here legally and following the law. Also no talk about lessening quotas that let more people in than any other country.

I would have them not hide behind the skirts of women, children and non-combatant men.
Immigrants and immigration are becoming THE political item in the U.S. With little to no research or data to support their claims, anti-immigration zealots are trying desperately to control the issue, in order to win votes come November.
It's a lot like "gay marriage" or abortion rights, another effort to drum up the voters and try to get them to the polls, hoping that they'll elect another crop of neo-conservatives.
Obviously the entire nation isn't bashing immigrants, only those with an agenda. As for them being idiots, that's your word, not mine.
As for those in hiding, of course you'd like to them to be out and in the open, they're easier to kill that way. Don't be naive, they hide the way that they do in order to win. They're fighting for their very way of life, frankly, anyone who's surprised or shocked at the efforts that insurgents undertake to try and survive is at best naive, at worst, they might be related to those idiots you wrote about above.
I'm not excusing their behaviour, simply trying to put it into context. If it were my family being bombed and shot at, I imagine I might hide behind a few skirts in order to try and fight back as best I could too. As would just about anyone I imagine.
Is it really so hard to try and imagine what the other guy is thinking?
John E.
wrote:

hypocrisy.
hypocrisy
fight
enemies
what
understand

and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

... and if they weren't hiding behind women's skirts and childrens' playpens, the women and children wouldn't be getting shot at and killed would they? What is so hard to understand about the fact that the people who should be condemned are those using women and children as shields?

I'm trying to imagine *if* the other guy is thinking when posing arguments as superficial as the above.

As an interesting exercise, take a look at what is required to be an alien in Mexico. Let's just say that openly criticizing the government of Mexico if you are an alien living there is *not* a good way to remain in that country.

It should be that way here as well there are allot of things I disagree with in the country however my dad fought in WWII and I fly my flag openly and with respect to what it stands for. The men that died for that flag did so to protect our way of life which is now very threatend. Unless you are a citizen of this country I don't feel you have the same rights as our citizens. I also feel you should be locked up if not shot for burning a US flag, to me that is treason against this country. As always this is my opinion and the way I feel strongly, so for all the people out there that want to I have my flaq jacket on go for it.
Al

John Emmons wrote: <SNIP>

Yes, I do believe, for some reason that you would indeed hide behind women and children to protect your self.
Glen

So essentially what you're saying is that survival by any means is the only thing that really counts. Forget about family, forget about honour, forget about basic human diginity. That's exactly what you'd be doing hiding behind those skirts. And, if you'd consider foregoing all those things just to survive, what kind of person would you be and what kind of life would you have left if you did survive?
Which leads me to ask, does such a person deserve to survive?

You couldn't be more wrong.

Easy to see what you think.
<snip>

Never would I think somebody here would put a statement like that into print. That you would hide behind innocent women and children to accomplish your needs is one of the worst statements I've heard in any OT thread in this group. And to have the audacity to suggest anyone else here would do it... shame on you.
-jtpr